http://www.gofishing.co.uk/

Peter Waller

Had a look? Impressive work by EMAP?

As far as the forum is concerned I have to say that it is a nightmare. Probably designed by some computer geek who thinks that he is clever. Hard work for us computer incompetents!! Think I'll stick to AN.

As far as the forum is concerned I have to say that it is a nightmare. Probably designed by some computer geek who thinks that he is clever. Hard work for us computer incompetents!! Think I'll stick to AN.

Whats wrong with it ?

I only ever used the pleasure fishing forum on the old site, but I thought they'd asked for ideas from the users.

Tony

The old site was good. Easy to navigate, easy to read, a few mind blowingly thick contributors, that aside a pleasure to use. Personally I find the new site hard work.

Agreed Peter! The new AT site is terrible. Websites are in my line of work, and this one is a horror. The old one was fine, it's been 'improved' to death, most likely at great expense.

Some of the AT forum mods were even posting their grievances on the Fishing Magic forum - now that can't be good :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I always did subscribe to the adage 'If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!'

Stubbs's theorem seems to have another taker.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I always did subscribe to the adage 'If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!'

Stubbs's theorem seems to have another taker.

Well someone at e-map towers decided to build a wiz bang website that would be ll things to everyone , now we was shown the vision of the future (a motorcycle site that went to the new format) but its was their site ,And they had a corporate branding thing going on and all their sites are to be all the same .

the new site's ok but the forums was a bit of a culture shock for many ,who promptly left.It is getting better on there and the thecies are working on improving things ,I as a former moderator (not sure i'll be asked back ? ) have tried to convince people to stay but its not easy,even come infor some criticism ,for telling people alternative forums to try while the Gofishing site is sorted (including AN) later I was asked to build a forum just for those who wanted to stay as a tight group of friends ,some had indeed tried other sites but they wasn't for them so i built them there own forum (got slated for that as well) .still sticking in there at Gofishing and hopefully it will come good (soon i hope!) .

I do beleave it will be sorted out ,but not sure I'll be Back as moderator though.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

The paralysis paradigm phenomenon of new navigation structure usually throws people especially the demographic of fishermen who now probably know more about true forum discussion than most being one of the most discussed sports on the Internet.

I remember when my local website ditched their old pearl based forum which wasn't handling the visitor hits for a new one written in Dot Net based ASP.

It was however an Key turn application.

The users hated but its bread crumb navigation structure followed similar lines of the old and other fishing forum sites.

Some left for a while but once the core visitors gained userbility knowledge it exploded with as many as "Most Community Members ever online at one time was 711" real users at one time.

In one week 400000 hits occurred at one stage. That is good considering the target market is the size of liverpool.

Given this site has gone to an out of the norm navigation system it will be interesting to see what happens. Keep in mind you can see all the Discussion Genre on one page.

2 things count in forums, todays/new posts and speed.

BB2 PHP is ok but it ain't the best.

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

How incredibly strange. It seems to have been designed by somebody who has never actually used a forum before. An excellent way to put anybody off is to force them to search for something on their first keystroke. It's as bad as some of those misguided website shops, where you have to search rather than simply browse. Even when I brought up a result, I couldn't be sure if I was actually in the forum or not. Then I couldn't be quite sure how to get back again.

It serves a very useful purpose though, in being an object lesson in how not to do it, for any budding website designers.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.