Deadliest Catch

ColinW

I suppose to those with Sky this is old hat but I've only just seen this series about Alaskan crab fishing. If ever there was an argument for allocating individual quotas this program is it! The American method of limiting the overall catch seems to be to set the total catch and then have a free for all until it is reached, at which time they close the season. The result is now a three day season during which fishermen work 24 hours a day in all conditions, resulting in death and injury on a mammoth scale. Each crewman on one of the boats made £10,000 for four days work, the skipper double that and they didn't say how much the owners made. American madness at its best.

I suppose to those with Sky this is old hat but I've only just seen this series about Alaskan crab fishing. If ever there was an argument for allocating individual quotas this program is it! The American method of limiting the overall catch seems to be to set the total catch and then have a free for all until it is reached, at which time they close the season. The result is now a three day season during which fishermen work 24 hours a day in all conditions, resulting in death and injury on a mammoth scale. Each crewman on one of the boats made £10,000 for four days work, the skipper double that and they didn't say how much the owners made. American madness at its best.

I'm not sure but they might have changed that system now, it did show that they were fishing sustaianably in any event, that type of fishing is bloody dangerous. They also have shown one getting turned over by the fishing authority. Fantastic series.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

for one of the species they are only allowed to retain males over a certain size. All the females are returned.

Pretty good way of ensuring sustainability.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

I got the DVD for my birthday yesterday :thumbs:

late happy returns to you, fancy doin a few copies. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Stringent measures are in place Colin , every single crab is measured mate and females MUST go back.

The job is deadly enough without trying to make it even tougher. That's why the little critters are s expensive.

I wanna give it a go , those seas are nothing , me and Challenge can work in them seas no probs. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

On a much smaller scale, an old friend of mine has a Cray boat on the west coast of Tasmania (Cray aka Rock Lobster). For many years the local Cray fishermen bitterly fought against the idea of quotas.

My mate, let's call him Frank, was one of the few who supported the idea and actively co-operated with the fisheries authority in collecting data about catches. As he put it to me, with every year that went by he found himself going out in riskier and riskier weather to maintain his income, all the while seeing the average size of the Crays go down and overall catches decline. Anyone who has been in a small boat off the W. coast of Tasmania in winter will have an idea what this means.

Since the quota system came in he has seen the fishery improve in all respects. Now the fishermen can save up part of their quota for winter - when the prices go up - and only go out when the weather conditions are safe. From what I understand everyone has accepted that the quotas have been very successful in all respects.

ColinW - what we are doing seems to be working since we have plenty of lobsters and plenty of fish.

As noted with the crabs, females go back, undersize go back, policing the boats is easy with a short season and any skipper who saw a boat putting out pots out of season would certainly report the violation.

Why in the world should we consider switching to some system that according to results, does not work really well?

Or are you one of those who maintains that all is well with fisheries in your area?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President