How To ?

glennk

One for Uncle NICK I think or Si??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

How is the intro to this website created ?

In Shockwave Flash.

Great for making games, I'm told.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yep its flash (yes good for games Elton)

One problem with flash is that if you don`t have a html link leading into your site, search engine spiders cannot get into the site to index it.

Another problem is that not many people will want to wait for it to load, 99.9% of people want to be looking for good content to read, browse etc straight away.

Yes intro pages may look pretty, but ask yourself, is it necessary? IMHO definitely not.

Complete waste of everyone's time and bandwidth.

I've not yet seen a flash intro that is worth having.

Animation is a tool that should be used wisely and sparingly when the delivery medium is the web. If you can do it in html and .jpg's then do it (and css and sparingly in javascript) if you can't then you need to ask if it is really a website that you are needing :)

There are some things that flash is very good for inside a website, but in my totally unhumble opinion it should be totally banned as an "intro" to a site.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

That makes three of us. I was just a bit more subtle, using the 'games' comment :)

I've never grasped the idea that people would give up their index page for something that would be missed by search engines.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

That makes three of us. I was just a bit more subtle, using the 'games' comment :)

I've never grasped the idea that people would give up their index page for something that would be missed by search engines.

But you know me Elton, I'm not exactly renowned for my subtlety.

Ya fat Essex git ;):P:P

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Fully agree with all of you, I am not keen on flash sites and personally hate this one especially the bit with the ice cream van driving up the map, whats all that about ?, but I have been asked to do a website for a lady who owns holiday cottages and her first comment was I like The Astin's site can you do something similar. I will go back to her and put across those points which are well made but if the lady wants a site like that and she's gonna pay me some cash would you argue with her ?

So how do you go about creating the intro ? is there any free software around to do it ? and how long would such an intro take to build ?

I would make sure the inside of the site was html and point in some links to the inner pages to get the search engines in there.

Cheers - Glenn