Seahog Trio

Carl Allen

Help! I've bought a second hand seahog trio. I've only ever owned small open boats before. Took it out this weekend in the heavy rain and when i recovered it and took out the drain plug it had loads of water in. There are 2 plugs at the back and one hole in the floor where the water drains to. Can anyone tell me why there are 2 drain plugs and if it is possible to fit a bilge pump to clear this water away while afloat. Thanks in anticipation.

Carl

Not familiar with that boat but my guess is it had a blige pump at one time (probably comes standard equipment) and that one of your drain plugs was the bilge outflow at some point.

If you have any means of physical access to the bilge(s), you can certainly mount a pump. Not expensive and I surely wouldn't leave home without one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hello Carl

I think the water that goes under the deck is meant to, like on the Orkneys the water under the deck makes the boat more stable when at Anchor or drifting.

one just fits a bilge pump in the well at the back, and turns it on when under way, and fills it again when stopped with a bucket.

if you don't like the idea of water there just fit a plug in the hole.

but if what you are saying is that there was a plug, and when you pulled it before trailing you found the water, then water got in from some where, you should have tasted it to see if it was brackish rain water or salt water.

hope this makes sense.

The idea of the hole in the false floor is to keep the decks dry. Fit the hose inlet of a pump through the hole into the false floor.

Regards a Bilge pump, you would be better with something like a manual whale Gusher Urchin or similar. I have tried numerous electric ones and they all blocked up with sand, Mackerel blood and guts etc. The Urchin will last for years and are only £25-30

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Thanks for your answers everyone. For clarification, I understand the idea of it draining the deck to keep the deck dry. I just dont understand why there should be 2 drain plugs. Also, I know that there was a lot of rain, but my boat was holding a lot of water and wouldn't get up on the plane because of the weight. I am a bit worried about water having got in from elsewhere but as I was in fresh water wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Thanks again but if anyone knows the specifics of the trio then I'd be pleased to hear their views.

Cheers

Carl

I've a Seahog Hunter, with the same setup as you.

I have never had more than a cup full of water drain from underneath the deck, into the well at the stern.

You could possibly have a small chip or deep scratch in the gel coat which is letting in water.

A friend of mine had an orkney which had a pin hole in the hull when we eventually found it, we had to take the deck out and all the bouancy foam which was full of water.

Get the boat out and on a trailer and give it a thorough examination.

I also have an electric bilge pump in the stern well and have never had a problem with it they are cheap to buy and easy to fit.

Carl, why not contact http://seahog.co.uk I usually mess up links but just did a google search and entered seahog.

I used to have a seahog and when I needed help just contacted the BOSS at seahog, very helpful man, could be worth a call.

Our new boat has a bilge pump fitted, the first thing that Albert did was fit a float switch (its alone on a mooring). As mentioned electric bilge pumps do get blocked and can jam in the on position, a stocking or some such material wraped around it acts as another filter which is easy to clean out.

Good luck.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hiya,

While we are on about float switches, spend a few quid extra and get one of the remote switches that are activated by water pressure. They are far more reliable than the old float switches :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I use to have an old Shetland 536 that had a double skin and was form filled. When i trailed home after the first season no the water the boat wae very heavey. When i removed a bung in the floor the foam was flooded with water.I contacted Shetland Boats and they said to drill a hole in the outer hull in the stern pushed a carden cane up the hull to aid drainning and lifted the bow as high as possiable. I left the boat like this for the winter. Then looked for leaks.

prp