185 yards with a whole squid - D-Business..!

fishyrob

Is there a world distance record for casting a lead and whole calamaris? If there was, I reckon it got busted today. At a casting meet in Steyning the Dvice, loaded with a whole calamaris, was cast 173 meters (185 yards) by Mark Jenkins. Dave Mewburn got a 170 meters. Casting on the field was not ideal, the biggest non-baited plain lead cast was 235 meters, which is down on what these boys are capable of. With favourable conditions, and these guys getting some more practice with the slight difference of casting a squid laden DVice, I thik we will see the first whole squid baited cast in excess of 200 yards!! Distance isnt everything in fishing, butt the ability to send a big bait a long way can certainly score on some venues!

You can see the casts on YOUTUBE -

Enjoy!

IF anyone is wondering what a DVice is, there is a review by Adrian Farley in the tackle review section.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ IF YOU WANT TO SAVE OUR FISH STOCKS

You can embed the vids here....

Youtube Video ->

Review can be viewed here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai...ews/d-vice.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

You can embed the vids here....

Youtube Video ->

Review can be viewed here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai...ews/d-vice.html

Cheers Elton. You have an eye for statistics. Has there been any measuring of baited casting to your knowledge?

No idea, but it may be worth asking on our sister site, which has a casting forum here:

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/general/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've been getting involved in one of the local casting clubs this summer and it certainly is fun and very addictive. Most of the lads only appear to be interested in casting a lead but the odd one practices with bait on. Just out of interest does Rob know how far the lad can cast withjust a weight ?

I've been getting involved in one of the local casting clubs this summer and it certainly is fun and very addictive. Most of the lads only appear to be interested in casting a lead but the odd one practices with bait on. Just out of interest does Rob know how far the lad can cast withjust a weight ?

Hi Glenn,

His previous best cast without a DVice was 70 meters..........................I wish!!

Actually, he was ranked 6th in the UK in 2006, so he is one of this countries biggest hitters. But he never cast a squid 189 yards before, plus they were using "high-end" fishing gear, rather than full on tourney poles, for this test, wheras when theyy set their PB's and cast competively, tthey of course are using their full on casting poles. At the next event, I thik we will see a massive increase, as there will be a prototype MKII DVice being tested there. We believe the prototype has the ability to take a squid further than any squid has gone before..... (squiddy stat trek.....) If I had to guestimate, I would say that with favourable conditions (ie Tail Wind) we will see a 230 yard squid..... Watch this space!!

• 2 weeks later...

not being a distance caster by any mark i notice though the rod is held high after he casts (also i noticed a chap spinning the other day doing the exact same thing) forgive me if it sounds silly but surely if the rod tip pointed at the lead throughout its flight you wouldnt have so much friction from the rings?

or am i being naive?

i easily outcast matey using a far shorter rod and identicle shad by the method above and having chatted to the guy the line was the same BS and similar sized reel :wacko:

PS didnt see if mr farcast got a huge birds nest in the vid though :D

i was impressed by the weight flipping about behind him though i'm an over the shoulder lobber myself.

its about time a fixed spool reel was fitted with a moveable spool which combined the casting power of the multiplyer with the easy retrieve of the fixed spool .no doupt its been tried in the past but obviasly theres difficulties ,anything Den?

theoretically just having a free running spool with a closed bailarm would (albeit with friction issues) would work similarly but friction problems would arise with the bail roller and the 90 deg angle needed to go from spool to rings

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A good caster (like me) follows the weight with the rod tip to reduce friction. I can cast a two ounce weight with my spinning rod 90 yards on a field.

I reckon I can cast well over 180 yds with my beachcaster on a field. It's easy, no tackle to slow it down. It's a very different matter with tackle and a big bait.

Iv'e yet to try the Dvice that I've just bought, well 3 actually, plus spare tubes.

I'll stuff them with mussel, and whack them out about 150yds or more. Should be interesting. Only thing is, I catch the biggest fish right near the beach.

A good caster (like me) follows the weight with the rod tip to reduce friction. I can cast a two ounce weight with my spinning rod 90 yards on a field.

I reckon I can cast well over 180 yds with my beachcaster on a field. It's easy, no tackle to slow it down. It's a very different matter with tackle and a big bait.

Iv'e yet to try the Dvice that I've just bought, well 3 actually, plus spare tubes.

I'll stuff them with mussel, and whack them out about 150yds or more. Should be interesting. Only thing is, I catch the biggest fish right near the beach.

i can cast further with a short rod then a long one (my cast with a 12ft rod is 25% further than a 14ft one) i just cannot keep in contact with the lead as it goes over my head ,i need tuition i expect ,i have never mastered multipliers at all one click under full braking and its birds nests time :(

my 6ft 0r 8ft abu spinning rods can cast further than my beachcasters with lighter leads am i turning american :o

boat fishing is easy though the casting bit has been got rid of :D

i'v seen a few examples of the device over the years and no doupt you cant get away from the thought has the bait come out when it reaches the bottom ,thoughts of record fish tapping at the plastic tube trying to get the bait enclosed as it sat on the bottom would disturb me.

perhaps putting mercury in the blanks would help my casting??? :whistling:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

perhaps putting mercury in the blanks would help my casting??? :whistling:

Or lead in yer pencil. :P

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..