Boat Paint

Elton

Boats that have been standing in one place for a long time always look bad. Get it out on the water and when the sun and spray start hitting it from different angles most of the horrible black stuff just dissappears.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Elton,

have you considered using 2 pack automotive paint. We completely sprayed our boat last year and it has given superb results that have stood up to some pretty hard use. Cost wise it should save a few quid over the usual marine products and can be applied with a mini gloss roller if you didnt fancy spraying. One note of caution though, as with any job that involves painting, the quality of finished result is always down to the preparation and thats what takes the time.

I definately agree with Alan Taylors comment about getting out on the water for the season and enjoying your new purchase, there will be plenty of time over the winter for the non essential jobs.

Cheers

Hi Sharkbyte been there done that and it realy does the job I used an isolator /sealer as undercoat to avoid the usual reaction with oil based domestic paints. I also broke all the rules and used nitromorse paint stripper to get the top 10 coats of dulux off. Working only about a square foot at a time it only took about 20 hours to get to a point where sanding had an effect (23ft boat)

Edited by slackline

for antislip paint on the floor theres nothing cheaper than textured stone paint with extra sharp sand chucked in ,it lasts a couple of years but by this time the grip has gone anyway and the loose stuff removed and new stuff chucked on with a stiff broom.

as with all paint and varnish its only the first coat that counts ;) you can put 15 coats on but if that first one hasent stuck your in trouble ,our boat had been stored for years and the mast and woodwork was very dry .

after sanding we used several coats of varnish "watered down" with turps so it was 25% varnish so it sank well into the wood another good sanding then the varnish was applied proper.

luckily our gel coat was fine and got nothing more than a waxing and buffing with a buffer ,the underseal though was in poor condition so we wore full nbc suits (we didnt know its vintage) and respirators to remove it (very hard work) .

we didnt think we needed antifoul but found that even after a couple of weeks micro barnacles apeared so it got several very expensive coats of the stuff :(

as i mentioned in earlier posts your electrics are a boats weak points check those wires minutely (i rewired completely) that nasty salt laden air gets everywhere ,shrink tube is not enough for joints, either use shrink tube with a glue layer or use hot glue on the join first then shrink tube ,by far the better though is not to have any and every join in a waterproof box with glued grommetts.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson