Fishing Transport!

Jeffwill

I own a Rover 416, which with the back seats down is just big enough for my rod holdall and fishing gear, plus one mate and his gear at a push. I am thinking of changing vehicles. Has anyone done the research and found the best car saloon / estate for general motoring and also get all the gear in for fishing trips?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have done some research into this myself, being in a similar position to you. Obviously there are many factors to consider - budget, family situation etc.

I decided the best bet was the Mitsubishi L200 double cab...(the one with the roof, not the 'lorry' type).....you can pick up a beauty, second hand, for around 5k.

I'm sure plenty of others will have their own thoughts though....good luck with your search.

Gus

We had the same problem as you. In fact we needed the space not just for fishing gear but for antiques too.

We looked at and test drove a lot of different estates, including having the old model Vauxhall Vectra for a complete weekend. This wasn't big enough, although the newer version is roomier. After that I started taking fishing gear to car showrooms. We got funny looks, but also knocked many cars off the short list!

My present car is a Volvo V70 estate, the AWD Cross Country version, and I can thoroughly recommend it as a load carrier. Previously I had a Volvo 850 estate that was essentially the same car. My petrol XC is very nippy indeed, but rather thirsty on fuel. However I don't do many miles these days so for me it's not a problem.

My wife used to have a Mondeo Estate. This was as big inside with the seats down as my Volvo! This was one of the reasons it won Estate Car of the Year when it came out. A lot less expensive to buy secondhand than the Volvo and there are a lot about to choose from. Much better fuel economy too.

I'm 5ft 9ins and can sleep in the back of either of these cars without bending my knees. However the rear seats on the Mondeo don't fold completely flat. Both take a mountain of fishing gear.

Both are also excellent for family motoring, being comfortable as well as practical, and have good safety features - especially the Volvo.

There may be better new cars about, but I'm not qualified to comment on these. However, for a secondhand family/fishing car I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I supose I'm lucky. With Brenda in a wheelchair, I have a Mercedes Benz Vito which has been modified with a mechanical side lift. I dump the rod/pole bag in through the back and use the side lift to roll my trolley onto the ramp and hoist it into the van.

As an aside, the Vito has the best all-round vision of ANY vehicle I have ever driven in 45 years!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Have to say, unless you're carting several sets of gear (kids?) I've never found anything bigger than an ordinary hatchback to be needed. Provided that the seats fold or there's a ski flap. Last two cars were a Honda Civic and a Peugeot 306, both three door hatches, and everything fitted in those. Current car is a Mazda RX-8, coupe, not the most practical of cars maybe, but it's got a ski flap and a good sized boot and I can fit all the gear I normally carry in it. Bit tight with two lots of kit but not impossible. Only difficulty is that the boot aperture is quite small. There is a limit, otherwise I'd have probably had an Elise or a 350Z, but you don't necessarily have to buy an estate car, off roader or people carrier just to carry a set of fishing kit.

but you don't necessarily have to buy an estate car, off roader or people carrier just to carry a set of fishing kit.

I can easily fit everything I need in my Vauxhall Corsa unless you are really taking loads of stuff I can't really see the need for a bigger car!

Rich

I can easily fit everything I need in my Vauxhall Corsa unless you are really taking loads of stuff I can't really see the need for a bigger car!

Rich

Come carp fishing for a week with me and a mate some time. I'll show you the need for a bigger car :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Peugeot Boxer van for me, gets all my gear in with ease, not to mention everyone else's as well

Great when you're doing a few days away and need to take the kitchen sink with you as well as all your gear and the obligitory sausages(cumberland of course)

W reg Peugeot 406 estate HDI 90 diesel 134K miles 50 mpg three sets of gear with room to move,best motor i have had

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.