Protection help

barry luxton

Hi i have just had my computer completly wiped and started from scratch again, the only information that i have moved from my old system was my doc,s. As i installed them i ran a check on them to confirm that they were clean. So one week on, an automatic scan has revealed five threats, I am running avg free and do a regular update, is this enough protection. Is there anything else i can do to make me sleep at night as i do not want to have to start from scratch again. The threat info is listed, can any one give me more info on what they are, were could the sorce be etc. is the last bit of any use, c:/system volume/info? Does this tell you any thing?

Aoooo128.dll virus identified worm/delft ckd There are four others simular.

Thanks in advance.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Try to find a copy of Nod32 i changed to it about 12 months ago and thus far touch wood been clean it can update itself upto six times a day which only take seconds and are automatic i also run avg free and spybot just to be totally sure

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

Free Grisoft AVG only provides basic protection, and comes some way down the comparison tables.

Having dumped resource-hungry Norton, I now run NOD32 for virus protection.

I also have Zonelabs free Firewall software (ZONEALARM) Installed.

(Even though your router may include a firewall, this will not prevent rogue programs sending out information that you don't want sent out)

Also free:

SpywareBlaster

Spybot

Adaware

From Microsoft, Windows Defender (but is it that that keeps eating up system resources?)

Incoming and Outgoing emails are scanned by AOL using McAfee

And I am VERY suspicious about opening emails, attachments and following links.

Never seem to have any problems :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

From Microsoft, Windows Defender (but is it that that keeps eating up system resources?)

I found Windows Defender slowed my computer down to almost zero when it was scanning as it used up nearly all my systems resources. I finally ditched it last week, and Peggy will probably follow (we don't make changes to both computers at once in case any problems arise). We already have Spyware Blaster, and run Adaware and Spybot regularly so Defender is possibly overkill anyway.

Like Leon, both of us are very careful about opening e-mails, and also about going to websites we're unsure about. I suspect a lot of the "funny" sites contain spyware if not worse.

To keep the computer running smoothly as opposed to safe, both Peggy and I recently installed System Mechanic and we're very pleased with it.

We've also got the free version of AVG anti-virus that is automatically updated every day, and does a full scan once a week.

Both of us also have the free version of the Zone Alarm firewall. However I'm considering upgrading mine to their complete security package. I gather the AV component is based on Kaspersky.

Does anyone have any experience of this package?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I use the Kaspersky internet security, its AV, firewall, privacy, anti-spam all in one. I also have Spybot and ad-aware, and since changing over to vista 3 months ago, I`ve not had a single virus, piece of ad/spyware.

I used to use ZoneAlarm, but found that it was a bit heavy on the resources, so I ditched it in favour of KIS.

Jimpy0: You might consider removing AVG as you already have NOD32 installed, simply because it can cause problems running multiple AV software on your pc.

Many thanks for all of your info's i'm now totally confused though and don't know what to do for the best. Since turning my machine back on, two weeks now, avg has detected approximatly ten virus's

I would be mortified if one gets through. I have never opened mail that i was not sure of and don't really spend time looking at funny type web sites nor rude web sites, i must add. :) Is there a reason why i appear to be targeted or is this normal in this day and age. For a good few years when i was with the older systems i never had a problem, pentium two's and three's etc, I would say in the last year or so, i have become very concerned. If i was to go for avg pro, would that do the trick?

This kaspersky is it suitable for xp home? Thanks again, sorry to be a pain.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I run XP Pro, which may have better security, I'm not sure. However I only run free Antivir for anti virus and Windows standard firewall. I now have a wireless router; I'm not sure if this acts as a firewall as well or not. However even before that I had very few problems. I occasionally run Adaware, but it doesn't find much.

For data security, I have two identical hard drives set up in a RAID 1 array (automatic mirrored replication) and every few weeks I run a full backup using Acronis True Image onto an external hard drive.

Edited by Lid

Many thanks for all of your info's i'm now totally confused though and don't know what to do for the best. Since turning my machine back on, two weeks now, avg has detected approximatly ten virus's

I would be mortified if one gets through. I have never opened mail that i was not sure of and don't really spend time looking at funny type web sites nor rude web sites, i must add. :) Is there a reason why i appear to be targeted or is this normal in this day and age. For a good few years when i was with the older systems i never had a problem, pentium two's and three's etc, I would say in the last year or so, i have become very concerned. If i was to go for avg pro, would that do the trick?

This kaspersky is it suitable for xp home? Thanks again, sorry to be a pain.

Hi Barry,

Might not be a useful option for your particular computer use, but I switched to linux a while back after getting sick of dealing with all that crap . It was easy for me as I don't have any windows specific programs that I "must have" so might not be applicable to your situation. Have not had any malware/ virus problems since i switched, don't have to fret over adding the "latest and greatest" combination of security packages, don't have to give anyone any money. :)

Might not be right for you Barry but maybe worth looking at if you have'nt before.

Chris

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Barry are you still using IE as your browser?? If you didn't want to go the WHOLE hog and alter your setup too much try downloading and using Firefox as the browser. I have since I switched over in around 2 years had just ONE virus and that was while using IE to view a particular page that HAD to be viewed in IE!!

I myself now use NOD 32 and Kerio Firewall (Plus spybot etc) I DID use AVG paid for but AVG let me down quite badly once and I changed due to recommendation by Leon. NEVER looked back!!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 2 weeks later...

So going by the stats on the Nod32 web site it seems to perform way better than the rest of the pack.

Have you current users just purchased the anti virus part or did you buy the whole security suite that includes firewall anti spam and anti spyware?

Shame it's not a free download for personal users though (apart from the 30 day free trial) but the price it's offered for is worth paying for to get good protection.