cold feet - advice pse

chaz62

Following a recent trip my feet suffered really badly. On the water all was ok, it was later on shore,

totally numb, like blocks of ice even after dragging my transport back up a hill to the car park.

I am still wearing wet suit boots (4mm) which I now realise have no protection against the cold ground.

I have seen the threads about jobe jet ski boots, would they give better protection against cold ground and would I need to have neoprene socks inside?

Cheers,

Chaz

Hi Chaz

Good to hear you are getting out a bit. A friend caught a 6.5lb Bass last week in the Estuary, we need to get together to have a go.

As for the feet, they are the first part of my body to get cold. I am OK when i have my dry suit on with a thick pair of socks and boots on top!!!! I guess it is the lack of exercises and therefore lack of blood they a getting compared to the rest of the body. Some gentle exercising whilst paddling / fishing helps.

Hope to meet up soon

Nigel

Nigel McCowen-Smith

Barnstaple

Devon

Tarpon 160i Angler Wilderness (Red)

Bic TOBAGO (yellow)

Palm have got a new boot coming out this month at my local kayak dealer, comes to just under the knee and is supposed to be waterproof like the Chota Mudluks.I've ordered a pair for as soon as they come in.

Also the chemical foot warmer pads work ;)

I have the Jobe boots and they are far better than the yauchtie type.wore them with neoprene socks last saturday evening with bootie less paddle pants and was well warm,but when the winter comes on full it'll be drysuit,merino socks and my new Palm boots.

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Palm have got a new boot coming out this month at my local kayak dealer, comes to just under the knee and is supposed to be waterproof like the Chota Mudluks.I've ordered a pair for as soon as they come in.

Also the chemical foot warmer pads work ;)

I have the Jobe boots and they are far better than the yauchtie type.wore them with neoprene socks last saturday evening with bootie less paddle pants and was well warm,but when the winter comes on full it'll be drysuit,merino socks and my new Palm boots.

Richi

what are the new palm boots called, I have just got some Yak salopettes and need some boots to go with them, thinking about a drysuit but until then will need some boots, thanks, Scott.....

Don't know what they are called and they are not on the website yet

they come up to just below the knee.

as soon as I get mine I'll tell you the name or if I'm at woodmill on Saturday I'll ask as they had them in the brochure ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Following a recent trip my feet suffered really badly. On the water all was ok, it was later on shore,

totally numb, like blocks of ice even after dragging my transport back up a hill to the car park.

I am still wearing wet suit boots (4mm) which I now realise have no protection against the cold ground.

I have seen the threads about jobe jet ski boots, would they give better protection against cold ground and would I need to have neoprene socks inside?

Cheers,

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

I have a pair of the Jobe Boots which come with a neoprean sock already inside. In the summer months my feet were really warm and as for the colder weather all I do is to wear a pair of nylon socks as well, todate my feet have always kept warm and like yoursel no doubt if you feet get cold you can start to lose interest.

I have a couple of good sites lined up for next years weekend trip all closer to home.

I hope this message finds you well

All the best

ChrisW

Don't know what they are called and they are not on the website yet

they come up to just below the knee.

as soon as I get mine I'll tell you the name or if I'm at woodmill on Saturday I'll ask as they had them in the brochure ;)

Thanks Richi....

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll be sticking to ankle type boots to go with my sidewinders.

Hi Chris, good to hear your thinking of next year already. I have spent quite a few hours on the net looking at possible sites, just got a lot of driving to do!!! hope all's well at your end,

Chaz