QUIVER TIP FEMALE THREAD

saskcarp

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where would I get a spring to fit the female thread?

Don't worry about Neil (Rabbit) too much mate, he's just seems a bit pee'd off with some of us at the moment.

By the way 'Gozzer' is a type of home bred maggot, which might explain some of his last post, the rest are also members of the forum. ;)

The spring I used was from an old curtain hanger, it's a length of very tight wound spring inside a plastic coating that you hang light/net curtains from. I don't know what they call it, but it was ideal for the job. The quivertip slots inside it.

As I said in my last post you can slide this into a tube fixed to the rod tip, instead of using a threaded fixing, it works just as well.

I found that these things were useless for casting, but I found a shoal of bream in deep water, close in, and made mine to use in that swim. I thought that this was similar enough to ice fishing, so it might work for you.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Don't worry about Neil (Rabbit) too much mate, he's just seems a bit pee'd off with some of us at the moment.

By the way 'Gozzer' is a type of home bred maggot, which might explain some of his last post, the rest are also members of the forum. ;)

The spring I used was from an old curtain hanger, it's a length of very tight wound spring inside a plastic coating that you hang light/net curtains from. I don't know what they call it, but it was ideal for the job. The quivertip slots inside it.

As I said in my last post you can slide this into a tube fixed to the rod tip, instead of using a threaded fixing, it works just as well.

I found that these things were useless for casting, but I found a shoal of bream in deep water, close in, and made mine to use in that swim. I thought that this was similar enough to ice fishing, so it might work for you.

John.

no casting in ice fishing mate, straight down the hole. my only concern is how much the spring-tip affects fighting a fish.

The Gas

pirate.gif

no casting in ice fishing mate, straight down the hole. my only concern is how much the spring-tip affects fighting a fish.

When it's pushed right in, it's just like playing a fish with a quivertip on the rod.

When it's pulled out, the rod tip takes over, because the spring bends under the weight of the fish.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sounds like it's a winner! Now i need to locate some springs, threaded tip rings and some quiver tips or at least some rod tip ends that will fit the spring. Thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it!! ;):thumbs:

The Gas

pirate.gif

Sask,I often buy up bulk lots of second hand fishing gear for re selling at boot fairs etc.If I come across any Spring tips or old type quiver tips I will put them asidfe and post to you.Not much call for them here in the UK as push in type quivers are whats preffered at the moment by most.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sask,I often buy up bulk lots of second hand fishing gear for re selling at boot fairs etc.If I come across any Spring tips or old type quiver tips I will put them asidfe and post to you.Not much call for them here in the UK as push in type quivers are whats preffered at the moment by most.

That would be dandy! Just let me know and i'll buy them up. :thumbs:

The Gas

pirate.gif

Sascarp,

One of the advantages that was originally marketted about the spring tip is that once the sring has cracked open the pull required to keep it bending is just about the same through the entire travel of the tip, as opposed to a quiver tip where it gradually gets harder to put it round.

Fine in principal but they proved to be a nightmare when casting but would be ideal for ice fishing.

One thing you would have to watch for is the coils of the spring icing up and effectively sticking the spring together. A dribble of glycerin would solve this problem.

springtipsmall.jpg

Thats one complete with screw in tip. The actual tip has been removed or broken sometime in the past.

PM an address and consider it in the post.

Its a circa 1980 model so some refurb may be required.

The small spring pushes inside the large one to increase or decrease the tension. The rubbers have hardened and may need replacing but at least its a start.

If its no good at least you will have a screw in tip.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org