my fishing budget

Darren T

great idea for a post mate i was just about to do the same however i wish to concentrate on pike

so if any of you guy/gals got any good ideas I've got about £200 ish , looking for 2 rods 3lb test 2 reels a pod large landing net 1 piece handle not telescopic unhooking mat bite alarms etc.

Pete, I've answered this on a new topic. Go to http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Pike-ou...200-t79738.html

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tub of shot is of the mixed type, you should get some that are stupidly big. Pinch one of these onto the bend of the hook instead of using a plummet :)

The Drennan crystal floats are amongst the best on the market (especially the ones with interchangeable tips), they're the ones I use nearly all the time for my float fishing even when using a pole.

If the 100m spools of hooklength are the extra-thin stuff, all well and good. If they're not, just use the Daiwa 6lb line for hooklengths as well.

One bugbear when float fishing is you will sometimes need to change floats, but it's a bit of a pain breaking everything down and then setting it all up again - buy a packet or three of float adapters or make your own. These are simply a small swivel* with a short length of flexible tubing on one end, the mainline goes through the eyed end and the float goes into the tubing.

* Buy a selection of swivels.... ;)

Would a bit of shot give an accurate depth though? im just tihnking that it might not go right to the bottom and will just sit on weeds. i read something only yesterday saying you should use a nice hefty plummet to get a proper reading :headhurt:

should i be looking specificaly for superthin hooklengths then? there are just so many choices i have no idea which will work and which will cause me problems without me realising it.

i did remember about swivels but i forgot about float adapters. oddly i heard matt hayes mentiont hat exact topic on total fishing earlier today!

thanks for the help guys :)

Would a bit of shot give an accurate depth though? im just tihnking that it might not go right to the bottom and will just sit on weeds. i read something only yesterday saying you should use a nice hefty plummet to get a proper reading :headhurt:

The size of shot I mean could never be called "a bit" ;) In the last few tubs of mixed shot I've bought, there were some about 1cm in diameter, certainly big enough to get through any weed. If your tub doesn't have any that size, just buy a plummet instead.... :)

should i be looking specificaly for superthin hooklengths then? there are just so many choices i have no idea which will work and which will cause me problems without me realising it.

Yes I reckon you should. It's a bit more expensive than normal line but you can buy it in shorter spools to save you money, and you'll only be using a few inches at a time anyway - I almost never use a hooklength more than 1 foot long, normally between 6 and 8 inches. Being thinner, it will help the presentation of the bait.

If the water you fish isn't inundated with waterfowl, I'd suggest buying a small controller-float for surface fishing as well.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Darren - check out this weeks Angling Times, they've got a special offer on. A carp rod and a multi-tip feeder rod (which can also be used for float fishing) for £10 each plus £5.95 p&p. I've got a couple of the feeder rods myself and whilst they're not exactly top-of-the-range, they are more than adequate for the job and are able to handle large fish with ease.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

great idea for a post mate i was just about to do the same however i wish to concentrate on pike

so if any of you guy/gals got any good ideas I've got about £200 ish , looking for 2 rods 3lb test 2 reels a pod large landing net 1 piece handle not telescopic unhooking mat bite alarms etc.

If your on a budget I'd reccomend Wychwood pike rods. They do a range of rods (Rogue range) which come in at around £40 each which are spot on quailty/action for the money.

Careful if you decide to buy a Fox pike rod...IIRC the real seats require fox reels so try your reel out on one first.

Okuma/Daiwa for reels..f**k knows about rod pods as I don't use one often

Edited by Neil G

I started fishing with about £25 of tackle! I had an old 6 foot spinning rod (passed down the family), 1 or 2 floats, pack of hooks, disgorger, catty, 1 spool of line, a huge sea fishing reel bought from a market for 7 quid. I won 3 matches with that stuff, kicking peoples arses who had £300 seat boxes, 500 pound poles!!

that shows that you dont need a huge budget to start, after all most course fishing originated from people using all sorts of old junk!

p.s.

i have also now converted to the 'kitchen sink brigade' that take 20mins to my stuff out of the car!!!

thanks

Now as for the particular tackle i may well follow whatever my uncle says would be good to get and will hopefully visit a real shop with real people to get it all. however i am a complete newbie.

I don't think any of us asked us what kind of fishing you wanted to do ?

Pleasure ?, Carping ? Pike ?

I was surprised at some of the rod suggestions mentioned then I worked out there were two different people asking about rods in this thread.

I've gone from Carping to Course fishing over the last year because I realised I'd rather catch small silvers regularly than wait x hours for that 32lb Carp.

But my in-laws prefer to target those wily monsters.

Tony