Lower Itchen Fish-in

seph

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It wasn't the biggest of the day though...

Do tell!

C.

I'll leave it to the skillfull/lucky (delete as applicable :D ) angler to tell his story...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What a great day, I do enjoy these fish-ins. It didn't start too well as I left my directions behind and couldn't find the ASDA supermarket, so missed breakfast. Luckily though I managed to find the fishery.

On arrival I met Leon and as we discussed centrepins others started turning up and I handed out an AN pin to whoever wanted to test one. At first glance there was an air of approval but it would be later in the day when they had been used that I would find out if they had been a success.

After loading up the truck with Rich and Anderoos gear we headed up to the top section. I'm sure they thought I was mad after we passed so many fantastic looking swims. There weren't many swims left at the top, as most of the popular spots were already taken, but we soon settled and got into fishing mode.

I ended up in the swim I started off in last year, and after a couple of trots through I realised it was going to be a tough day with the pin as I started to struggle with the wind. I did well in this swim last year and even managed a couple of 2lb + grayling, but this year it wasn't producing, not giving me one bite. I moved upstream a little bit and soon connected with my first grayling of the day, all of about ½ lb, but it was a fish at last. After a few more of about the same size I decided to move upstream and managed to catch a small salmon parr and a few more small grayling. I lost a nice size fish that shot upstream then snagged me in the reeds on the far bank before I managed my first decent grayling of 1 1/2lb. This was soon followed by another of about the same size.

The wind finally got the better of me and I headed off downstream to find some shelter. I found a nice bend swim, not entirely out of the wind but it looked a nice swim so I settled there. After a few trots through I hooked and landed another nice grayling of 1 1/2lb.

What with the wind and the way the water swirled and eddied around the bend I was finding it difficult to get my float where I wanted, so I decided to set up my feeder rod with a maggot feeder. This made a difference and I was soon into a big grayling that with a quick flick of its tail waved goodbye to me just as I was bringing it the last few inches into the net. A couple more casts and I had another good fish on, this time I tried not to get too excited until it was in the net. As it came closer I could see the big set of lips of a nice chub. This one weighed in at 3lb

This was the start of a nice little run of fish, my next fish being a grayling of 2lb 5 oz, an absolutely pristine chub of 4lb and then the icing on the cake, a pb grayling weighing 2lb 12 oz.

It went quiet after that run of fish until the 3lb chub I caught a couple of hours earlier decided to visit the bank again.

The light was beginning to go as I was joined by Rich and Anderoo. The swim had just started to liven up again and the next fish hooked managed to free its self. I didn't want to leave but unfortunately time was up and we finally headed off for some much needed bacon rolls and mulled wine.

A great day, and as always with AN fish-ins, great company.

Judging by the posts since the fish-in, it seems the AN centrepin was a success too :thumbs: .

Here's a few pic's of the river.

Edited by Jigotai

One final thing on the day, thanks Paul, with out you we wouldn't have been there. It's a shame you didn't have time to stop and say bye on your way out otherwise we could have thanked you in person. I hope you had a good day at Timsbury and caught a lot more grayling.

Great to see a lot of familiar faces and meet some new ANers. Thanks again, hope to see a lot of you at Wingham all being well.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

This was the start of a nice little run of fish, my next fish being a grayling of 2lb 5 oz, an absolutely pristine chub of 4lb and then the icing on the cake, a pb grayling weighing 2lb 12 oz.

A great haul, and what a grayling! I was worried you wouldn't be able to get back in your car with a smile that wide :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

2lb 12oz! Well done Andy, great fish.

Not quite the 3lber I suggested though, you really must try harder. :D;)

A good time seems to have been had by all, and that's the main thing. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sounds like it was another excellent day, well at least I got the weather 25˚C, every day and not a cloud in the sky and some good birdwatching as well; finally added Marbled Duck and Crested Coot to my life lists.

I would not have got them on the Itchen.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.