River Cottage+Carp

nursejudy

has anyone else watch River Cottage tonight, showing the "organically reared carp" that are intended for the table,and will be available soon for us to eat,the programme also showed how to cook carp and people's reaction to the fish,nearly all thought it a great idea to use carp,they all liked the taste and the fact they were from sustainable fish stocks ,Fearnly whotsit even put small carp into his pond to grow for eating in a years time,he was advocating everyone grew carp for eating in there ornamental ponds.......

it did not seem right to me ,watching them scaling and cooking the fish...what do you think?

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the world happily does just that Judy so most likely the UK can adjust.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

This recipe looks good Baked Carp

I think its a good idea, alternative to other over fished species, Baramundi, Tilapia, Carp

Fron the Greenpiece link in the post above:

Buy herbivorous fish

Fish like carp, tilapia, and barramundi are herbivores - they eat plants and don't need to be feed with fishmeal. In the UK these fish tend to be farmed in enclosed ponds and have a lower impact on the surrounding environment.

What a load of utter tosh.

Barramundi are out and out predators and carp and tilapia are omnivores with a taste for fish meal.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Fron the Greenpiece link in the post above:

What a load of utter tosh.

Barramundi are out and out predators and carp and tilapia are omnivores with a taste for fish meal.

Are you for or against the eating of farmed carp? :rolleyes:

Absolutely nothing to be against as far as I can see, wouldn't be that bothered about eating one myself, Carp isn't on my list of favourite fish, but you could eat worse.

Like nurse judy said, it didn't feel right to me either, but that's just cos none of us have fished for carp like that.

I guess we're used to catching our coarse fish and admiring them, handling them gently, using unhooking mats, knotless nets, barbless hooks etc etc. It's great to be able to put the beautiful creatures back in the water. That's what we're used to, and it's a long way from killing and eating them.

However, if I'm trout fishing I'll happily bang it on the head and not think twice about it. It's nothing to do with the type of fish, it's just the mindset.

Think it would be difficult to change the way I see coarse fish though.

Like nurse judy said, it didn't feel right to me either, but that's just cos none of us have fished for carp like that.

I guess we're used to catching our coarse fish and admiring them, handling them gently, using unhooking mats, knotless nets, barbless hooks etc etc. It's great to be able to put the beautiful creatures back in the water. That's what we're used to, and it's a long way from killing and eating them.

However, if I'm trout fishing I'll happily bang it on the head and not think twice about it. It's nothing to do with the type of fish, it's just the mindset.

Think it would be difficult to change the way I see coarse fish though.

is it a course fish or Just a farmed fish? A lot of Trout purists almost snear at Stocked Fish! as you no dought Know.

You hit the nail on the head its a mind set

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Are you for or against the eating of farmed carp?

I've nothing against eating farmed carp at all (I've eaten carp in Hungary anyway) but find the ignorance of organisations like Greenpeace disconcerting.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.