Refurbishing rods

Alan Stubbs

I've been given a variety of rods, recently:

2 Abu carp rods; 1 Daiwa Swing-tip; A Nash Hooligan 1.75lb TC specimen; 1 13ft Korum float, 1 11ft Leeds match carp rod and a 10ft spinning rod.

They are all barely used but all have full cork handles which have mildewed through beiong kept in tubes stored in a very damp shed.

Has anybody got any recommendations for cleaning these up, please?

Alternatively, anybody know of someone in the N.E. who would re handle them for me?

Thanks,

Alan

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

milton (the nappy stuff) applied neat with a sponge will kill the mould and to an extent bleach the corks ,if the cork is very stained a sandpapering usually gets it back to new once they have dried thoroughly.

the biggest problem luckily not for modern glues is the glue fixing the corks to the rod usually broke down and the corks became loose so completely stripping was the only answer.

milton diluted is the best way to kill mould on canvas as well ,the marks will remain unfortunately but the mould will be dead ,if it isnt treated it quickly destroys canvas or cotton untill it falls apart

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've been given a variety of rods, recently:

2 Abu carp rods; 1 Daiwa Swing-tip; A Nash Hooligan 1.75lb TC specimen; 1 13ft Korum float, 1 11ft Leeds match carp rod and a 10ft spinning rod.

They are all barely used but all have full cork handles which have mildewed through beiong kept in tubes stored in a very damp shed.

Has anybody got any recommendations for cleaning these up, please?

Alternatively, anybody know of someone in the N.E. who would re handle them for me?

Thanks,

Alan

I just use a mild detergent in water, and a medium brush, scrub, rinse, and dry thoroughly, Alan.

I prefer full cork handles, and that's all I've ever done with mine.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I vote Fairy Liquid too.

What I've done on handles that I've cleaned recently is once they're clean bring them into the house and dry them over a radiator, once dry I spray them with Nik Wax (don't go too heavy, it's better 2 light coats) which is the stuff you put on your walking boots/clothing to keep them waterproof. The cork soaks it up and it helps to keep the grime from sinking in..

Hello Budgie

No not really at all if you use the spray lightly. It's something I thought I'd give a try when I was cleaning up an old match rod to sell at a boot sale, then I used the wax that I'd been using for my boots and it did make the cork go a little hard but the sprays great.

If the rods got a few years under it's belt and the corks started to go a little crumbly the wax acts as a light binder and helps stop any further deterioration.

Just spray the first coat on lightly, leave it a minute or 3 then lightly pull the handle through a smooth duster or something similar and give it another coat an hour or so later. Works a treat.

This is the stuff I use: 9th down on the list..

http://www.thegorgeoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog...roducts_53.html

I've found Fairy liquid or Star drops to be the best option and i've found it better to use hot water. I wash them in the bath and use a sponge with an abrasive side to them but use the abrasive side carefully so as not to damage the cork.

I forgot to mention that once you've removed the grease from the cork you'll find the reel holders don't move or become loose.

Edited by tigger

Hi all,

Thanks for your input. Just a thought, as some of the rods have got rubber reel holders, how effective is caster oil at making the rubber tacky?

I have an old John WIlson Avon / Quiver and the rubber reels holders are as hard as rock and really slippery. I think this is another rodt which could do with the treatment!

Thanks again.

Alan

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Hi all,

Thanks for your input. Just a thought, as some of the rods have got rubber reel holders, how effective is caster oil at making the rubber tacky?

I have an old John WIlson Avon / Quiver and the rubber reels holders are as hard as rock and really slippery. I think this is another rodt which could do with the treatment!

Thanks again.

Alan

Alan I think if you clean the cork the handles will be ok and shouldn't slip. The sliding reel foot holders will most likley be graphite so should be hard.

You'll be able to use it for trotting then !

Edited by tigger