Reel Adverts - invented terms

Newt

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Spindle - in that case you'd think it would be a "Multi-perforated, high performance, Aero-Dyna-Spool" or something - except Penn have probably TMed that already :)

[ 21. January 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Wag ]

Where's the 'ANY' key?

Rudd, I can tell you that there's nothing unique about the actions of these rods as they're very similar to ones that I designed a few years back!

I'd add that very few modern rods have flat spots at the joints so there's nothing unique there.

What I do agree with though is that many carp rods in particular do lock up very quickly, which can lead to hook pulls. I designed the Orbiters to avoid this problem yet still have the ability to cast huge distances.

However if they're the rods I think they are some of them are very good indeed - and now I've retired and I'm no longer a competitor you can tell OT and his son that!

Having said that, I bought one of the 13/15ft float rods when they first came out but friends and I found it was way too soft to control big perch. Of course the blank may have been improved since then.

On the other hand the fly rods especially are superb - in fact some of the best I've ever seen regardless of price.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest sslatter

RUDD:

Graham X

If these rods have a little Island on them and retail at GBP299.00 each read on:<SNIP>

The advert says quote" Angle of bend increases by minute degrees in total relation to amount of resistance."

No, Rudd, it wasn't these rods. The tackle dealer whose advert I was quoting seems to have paraphrased this particular advertising copywriter's nightmare, and used it for their own. A little plagiarism does nobody any harm, it just gives a good laugh sometimes, doesn't it?

" Angle of bend increases by minute degrees in total relation to amount of resistance."

I rest my case your honour. :D

[ 21. January 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Steve,

Most of the expensive rods (5 1/2 to 6 1/2 foot) with the qualities you describe are shunned by top American predator anglers like Newt. They want a "fast" tip with little or no feel for the fish. The reel must be high speed and fast retrieve. Must drive manufacturers nuts!!

Phone

Phone - I just don't enjoy fishing with a rod that handles like pasta that was cooked too long. I like mine crisp. For lures and preds certainly and for carp and catfish if the conditions are rough.

Large stretches of open water with nothing to snag on and I'd be perfectly willing to use a long, thru action rod and very light lines. Trouble is, I just can't find fish that like the wide open spaces. :(

And since I'm not nearly as fond as you of a "Texas Whip" hookset, I don't HAVE to use mono and a very limber rod. I know you do need the 25% stretch in the mono and the extra few feet with a limber rod before the fish feels any hook pressure though.

Dang - I just hate putting serious or semi-serious comments into a frivolous thread.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

phonebush:

Steve,

Most of the expensive rods (5 1/2 to 6 1/2 foot) with the qualities you describe are shunned by top American predator anglers like Newt. They want a "fast" tip with little or no feel for the fish. The reel must be high speed and fast retrieve. Must drive manufacturers nuts!!

Phone

I know what you mean! The 13/15ft rod I referred to had an action almost like a US noodle rod.

Most of the rods I designed and still use have what amounts to a dual action. They have very fast taper tips and much slower taper butts with each section built on different mandrels. Additionally each rod has a variety of different modulus carbons (usually three) in different places in the blank. This gives a much better action than a blank built on just one mandrel and with just one type of carbon (=graphite in US).

The result with the Orbiters for instance is rods with an exceptionally fast tip recovery for very long casts, yet with a powerful but progressive action well down into the butt section for safely playing big fish even at close range.

I recently helped out with the design of a successor to the Orbiters using the latest materials and which cast even further. These are now in production, and at one stage I was going to be involved in marketing them. However as mentioned earlier I've now retired. Several forum members have these rods and if anyone is interested in them, or indeed any other rods, I'll be pleased to pass enquiries along if you e-mail me.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 7 years later...

Just stumbled upon this great old thread.... :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE