Wind Turbines the TRUTH

At long last the government has laid it out as it is, we can no longer depend on some foriegn power to decide whether our lights switch on when we need then, how bl**dy true and about time.

Yes 7000 wind turbines will change the british coast line but in my book for the best, 7000 clean solar driven power resources. It goes without saying the nuke, gas, oil and coal mobs will be unhappy, I dare say "conservation lobby" will be tadge unhappy about spoilt views and loss of bird life all the usual rubbish.

Wind Power

And there they were trying to tell us it was a non-goer, I wonder why?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

Just a thought.. if the could figure out a way to turn all the hot air that comes from the Houses of Parliament into energy we'd be sorted :thumbs:

or if we cut down the amount we used, you know silly things like lighting up the outside of buildings, bridges etc ??? why ?? if you want to see the outside of the place go in bloomin daylight.

Also ban those stupid tacky neon excuses for christmas decorations.. that would save a sma fortune right away. :clap::clap:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Guest Brumagem Phil

I don't think we should dismiss 'spoiled views' so lightly! I've no objection to these things, but one has to weigh one thing against the other. I LOVE coastal views and don't want them all wrecked. What's wrong with putting them a few miles out to sea where they can't be seen???

I believe there are also issues with migratory birds..........quite how serious these issues are, I have no idea, but its something we must not just ignore or dismiss out of hand.

Lots and lots or ways of using nature to generate electricity...........we have tides every single day without fail, and this power could be harnessed too.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

trouble is they only work 64% of the time so we need reall power generation using nuclear and ask anyone living near dungerness and they welcome them ,without the generators the place would be as remote as it was in the past.

its far easier to place nuclear plants than it is any other forms of power ,they can live anywhere unlike all the rest.

i would have no problem living near a nuke plant but a hoofing great noisy propeller spoiling the countryside is not so nice.

they cannot work in light breeze and cannot work in a large wind and its britain after all not france where they have the mistral.

solar heating is so so ,solar power (as in electric) useless and not cost efficiant ,the wind is up to the gods all that is certain is that we definately wont run out of uranium

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

trouble is they only work 64% of the time so we need reall power generation using nuclear and ask anyone living near dungerness and they welcome them ,without the generators the place would be as remote as it was in the past.

its far easier to place nuclear plants than it is any other forms of power ,they can live anywhere unlike all the rest.

i would have no problem living near a nuke plant but a hoofing great noisy propeller spoiling the countryside is not so nice

A combination of wave, wind and tides would give a continuos supply, add to that solar panels and solar heating systems and it has been proved we can do without nuke power.

I don't think we should dismiss 'spoiled views' so lightly! I've no objection to these things, but one has to weigh one thing against the other. I LOVE coastal views and don't want them all wrecked. What's wrong with putting them a few miles out to sea where they can't be seen???

I believe there are also issues with migratory birds..........quite how serious these issues are, I have no idea, but its something we must not just ignore or dismiss out of hand.

Most will be well out to sea, but surely the beauty of the seas are the coast lines not the sea its' self which is just an expance of water.

7000 would be an average of two per mile but obviously they will be grouped for economic reasons.

I would think the migratory birds will soon adapt in the same way as my local buzzard has made excellent use of the street lamps to hunt from during the day and the owl uses the same perches at night.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

who's going to be so welcoming when all those poles are in prime fishing spots or a few get knocked over by tankers?

what next wind powered ships again ?

nuke is the future the spent fuel once reprocessed can be used in the far east for something i'm sure

"A combination of wave, wind and tides would give a continuos supply, add to that solar panels and solar heating systems and it has been proved we can do without nuke power."

it may have been "proved" by a few lucky souls who have a alternative power source it can ,and for a few it will but we dont all live in wales with streams and wind on our land! solar heating is so so ,fine in the summer ,solar electric is far from full potential for the same reasons and wind isnt always about.

waves have potential so block off the thames and string them across the estruary but you will find the "predictions" of those who sell the idea ,sell the equiptment and install it are usually substantially over optomistic as usual and in the grey light of dawn usually extremely optomistic to the point its useless and burning the billions of £ invested would probably produce more power!

if you want to sit when the conditions are bad shivering under a blanket use "natural" resources by all means.

did you get your solar heating installed Ken?

mains voltage cannot be stored! so the generators must run 365 days a year to provide power ,a home windmill would be fine you could just buy 24 12v leisure batteries (about a £1000 every couple of years) but ofcourse the puny windmill wouldnt even keep one topped up never mind 24 + the loss in the DC - AC converter just to run the pc most are looking at right now ,with 24 you could easily turn the dc into a very good 240v merly by making 2 sine waves 180 degres out of phase one positive one negative but switch on your kettle and its downhill from there!

12v though can run most things i admit but 12v things use far more amps to compete with 240v so pretty much the same ,we did lots of R&D on alternative energy and the conclusion was it wasent time yet as the equiptment wasent good enough and the uni had the latest equiptment then hot out of the wharehouse ,solar power came last ,but we managed to get VERY high voltages off our invention of spinning capacitors but at a very low ampage just enough to knock you down not run your telly ,being in the electronic engineering labs we had lots of fun with electricity ;)

trouble is to spin those capacitors you needed electricity and due to physics allways more than you got out.we did make a vertical windmill which when it had wind lighted a bulb :thumbs:

we did find the spinning capacitors were more efficiant than any other mechanical generators as they merely spun near each other without all the magnets and wiring of motors/generators unfortunately the boss of the workshop took the knowledge with him when he retired!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Most will be well out to sea, but surely the beauty of the seas are the coast lines not the sea its' self which is just an expance of water.

Who told you that rubbish ?

They will all be well in sight of the coast, as they are now.

I think we should cover the whole of South Wales with them, most of the rest of us don't want them blighting our landscapes and our lives.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

They will all be well in sight of the coast, as they are now.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle3022277.ece

The scheme could see turbines so large that they would reach 850ft into the sky, nearly 100ft taller than Canary Wharf. ......

................Under the new proposals, the whole of Britain’s continental shelf would be opened to development, potentially including the English Channel and much of the coast of northern Scotland, where winds are most reliable.

It could mean that wind farms would become visible from almost every point of Britain’s coast. Some developers have made clear that they would like to see a forest of turbines stretching up the North Sea, whose shallow waters make it relatively cheap and easy to develop.

I hope that they remember to leave enough room for the new Marine Protected Areas. :o

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I honestly despair of people who have the audacity to put beauty before safety.

Here is a simple choice a nuke station on your door step or a wind farm out at sea.

I would spoil a scenic view at the drop of a hat rather than bless my grand children and their children with a potential terrorist target, and a pile of nuke waste to dispose of.

Here is a little one I am hoping to install this year

http://www.provenenergy.co.uk/windturbine_products.shtml

At least I will leave one property behind me which is eco friendly.

Hot water by solar panels and because the building is well insulated the turbine will supply my heating requirements, it can be done, it just needs some vision and an acceptance that things have to change.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

I am far more suspicious of the anti wind farm lobby, even more so than those who have a vested interest in building them. You really do hear so much rubbish coming from the antis, such as how they won't work in a light wind. Last week, it seemed almost a still day, yet it was sufficient to keep the ones near me turning merrily. I'm also quite sure that even if the power generated cannot be stored, the technology to do it must be only just round the corner. After all, in an extremely primitive way you could do it now. Just it to power a winch to haul a bloody great big rock into the air and then generate power later on as it drops to the floor again. Probably not the most efficient way to do it, but I'm sure there must be an exceedingly clever equivalent.

As for harming birds, they would have to be spinning at the rate of an aircraft propeller to do that, by which time they would have taken off into orbit. I find it very difficult to imagine that any bird capable either of plucking its prey out of the air, or else flying in synch like a flock of starlings, can't avoid a comparitively slow moving propeller the size of several barn doors.

It has been stated that the off-shore wind farms will be located well out to sea. I can't see how they would spoil anybody's view any more than one of the many oil tankers that you see passing by.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.