CP reels in still water

kleinboet

Does anybody else fish still waters (or commercials) with a CP reel and rod set up?

I fished for many years with this method before these "new fangled" fixed spool reels were widely used. If you have a drum that you can remove from the shaft, you can hold the drum in one hand and cast like a fixed spool.

I find that the control of the fish is much better and there is a lot more "feel" in your set-up when playing fish!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Yes I went through a stage of several years when I used a pin for all my float fishing.Didnt give me any advantages and in windy conditions actually hampered me when I needed to cast any distance,Also harder to cast long distances in tight swims.But as all of this fishing was purely for fun and a break from my specimen fishing it didnt matter!

Fishings about enjoyment so as long as its not having adverse affects on anyone or anything else then why not use tackle that you enjoy using?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Like Chris, I'll also occasionaly use one of my pins on still water when I'm margin fishing for crucians or tench. or on a 2nd ledger rod using the clutch as a bite indicator. If I don't have my bite alarms with me.

But apart from pure enjoyment I can't see any real advantages on still waters.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

No, I don't. You may as well use the reel that's designed for the job in my opinion! I can't see any advantage, but if you enjoy it then that's reason enough.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Does anybody else fish still waters (or commercials) with a CP reel and rod set up?

I do occasionally.

I find that the control of the fish is much better and there is a lot more "feel" in your set-up when playing fish!

Thats what I found. I couldn't get the hand of back winding as easily on a fixed spool reel as on a CP, and I felt EVERY tug of the fish on the line.

Tony