Sea Fishing Licence - would you pay?

Fastrantiger

As an ex-member of that SFC, I found it incredulous that the Deputy Clerk/CFO had decided to do a search of sea angling vessels over 12m (and to send them a letter) some 18 years after that Bye-law had originally been passed. When I pushed him about this, he said complaints had been made that Pat Carlin had been fishing inside 6 miles (as had been normal practice) for charter boats.

Pushed further the SFC official said the Byelaw had been revoked in the mid 90s and re-instated shortly afterwards and still it was 10 years or so before letters were sent to charter skippers telling them about it!

His solution was "Tell them to fish in Devon or Sussex waters!" (where there is no such Byelaw).

What stinks about this is that the Byelaw was originally formulated to protect under 40 feet commercial netsmen/shellfishermen from the larger beamers and pair trawlers being inside 6 miles.

I'm afraid this 'jobsworth' decision smells very fishy!!!!!

<_<

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an ex-member of that SFC, I found it incredulous that the Deputy Clerk/CFO had decided to do a search of sea angling vessels over 12m (and to send them a letter) some 18 years after that Bye-law had originally been passed. When I pushed him about this, he said complaints had been made that Pat Carlin had been fishing inside 6 miles (as had been normal practice) for charter boats.

Pushed further the SFC official said the Byelaw had been revoked in the mid 90s and re-instated shortly afterwards and still it was 10 years or so before letters were sent to charter skippers telling them about it!

His solution was "Tell them to fish in Devon or Sussex waters!" (where there is no such Byelaw).

What stinks about this is that the Byelaw was originally formulated to protect under 40 feet commercial netsmen/shellfishermen from the larger beamers and pair trawlers being inside 6 miles.

I'm afraid this 'jobsworth' decision smells very fishy!!!!!

<_<

Taken from the deepsea web site, councilllor D Collier said 'i don't believe in catch and release as it is cruel.'

That was his reason not to go for an ammendment of this by-law. What ever this has got to do with conservation between 12 meter and under charter boats is beyond me. So he is preventing forward thinking charter skippers from operating and bringing much needed business to the ports. Also don't forget all the pleasure boats over twelve and there are many in the likes of weymouth for example. They are not allowed to fish inside the six mile limit. Like i said earlier, they are on another planet, toss.rs.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

German sociologist Max Weber defined power as the ability to impose one's will "even in the face of opposition from others

Samuel Gompers' maxim, often paraphrased as,"Reward your friends and punish your enemies,"[6] hints at two of the five types of power recognized by social psychologists: incentive power (the power to reward) and coercive power (the power to punish).

taken from wikipedia definition of politics

sound familiar ??

as far as a rod license to fish in the sea goes I only have one question, why should I pay X amount of pounds for the pleasure of catching feck all when commercial licences were/are issued free of charge for the pleasure of taking whatever the feck they can get away with ??

as far as a rod license to fish in the sea goes I only have one question, why should I pay X amount of pounds for the pleasure of catching feck all when commercial licences were/are issued free of charge for the pleasure of taking whatever the feck they can get away with ??

Because defra in their wisdom stated in one of their many money wasting consultations that commercial guys will be at a disavantage to their other eu compatriotes instead of the more you take, the more it's gonner cost ya.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

German sociologist Max Weber defined power as the ability to impose one's will "even in the face of opposition from others

Samuel Gompers' maxim, often paraphrased as,"Reward your friends and punish your enemies,"[6] hints at two of the five types of power recognized by social psychologists: incentive power (the power to reward) and coercive power (the power to punish).

taken from wikipedia definition of politics

sound familiar ??

It's a good job anglers (nearly said HA) aren't in power then.

I fish to live and live to fish.

It's a good job anglers (nearly said HA) aren't in power then.

Yes right, the first thing to concentrate on would be to bring the uk fish stock up to what it should be, bigger and more fish for all. Cept the eu guys.

And all those 'they work for you guys' get them putting up toilet blocks, slipways and car parks if that's what they really want.

Edited by barry luxton

Do what I do. Add to your own experiences, the findings in every scrap of research you can get your hands on (these are a fraction of the randomly available scientific papers relating to the discussion; check the bibliographies for more!):

http://www.sos.bangor.ac.uk/~oss405/amb.html

http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-1566

http://www.eurocbc.org/jembex286_286.pdf

http://www.eurocbc.org/envimpact_trawlseabed_review.pdf

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...926ec1b215115bc

I have no hesitation in drawing the following conclusions from the scientific research, which comes from diversely funded and broad sponsorships including the EU and CEFAS ………

1. Seabed damage –

Research has established that the degree of environmental perturbation from bottom trawling activities is related to the weight of the gear on the seabed, the towing

speed, the nature of the bottom sediments, and the strength of the tides and currents. The greater the frequency of gear impact on an area, the greater the

likelihood of permanent change. In deep water where the fauna is less adapted to changes in sediment regimes and disturbance from storm events, the effects of gear take longer to disappear. In shallow water, the seasonal effects of storms and currents mean that most of the damage is never repaired and nothing re-establishes until trawling stops.

2. Overfishing –

Most of the problems associated with overfishing have been caused in the last 50 years by the rapid advances in fishing technology coupled with intensive, senseless overfishing. There used to be hundreds of trawlers and fishing boats based at ports like Peterhead, Grimsby and Great Yarmouth. How many registered trawlers at Gt Yarmouth now??????

ONE.

What we get here is unrepresentative bunch of commercial sympathisers on the forum who blame individual member-posters for what a thousand pieces of properly conducted research have been saying for 20 years.

I know who I believe.

You can all, well enough, make up your own minds.

:huh:

Hi HA,

Your opinion is that the people that have any experience of commercial fishing are an " unrepresentative bunch of commercial sympathisiers" who choose, due apparently to contamination through comtact with the commercials, to ignore properly conducted science.

FWIW i studied at SOS, Bangor (your first link) , have done plenty of hours attempting to enforce fisheries regs..

My opinion is that you know little about fisheries at all and that your just a mouthpiece for the very pseudoscience that is going to end uk sea angling.

The idea that you got to be on a SFC should scare all anglers to death and makes me glad i live north of the border ;):)

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

"Most of the problems associated with overfishing have been caused in the last 50 years by the rapid advances in fishing technology coupled with intensive, senseless overfishing. There used to be hundreds of trawlers and fishing boats based at ports like Peterhead, Grimsby and Great Yarmouth. How many registered trawlers at Gt Yarmouth now??????"

Just nonsense HA. The "hundreds of trawlers from Grimsby" used to fish away north at Iceland and Faroe until political moves kept them out. Our waters were never what they were about.

Great Yarmouth was a herring port and their did indeed used to be a huge fleet of herring drifters thst moved up and down the east coast, and legions of workers that followed them. Then came the ring net, then came purse seine, now its pelagic trawlers; the inventive "inshore" fishing communities adapted and thrived while the sluggish company fleets went to the wall; hardly just a fishing story ;)

Peterhead, that you choose (through ignorance?) to lump in with those was brought down , right or wrong, through legislation. Peterhead became the big NE landing port only due to the Aberdeen dockers unions. Imagine being at sea for a week, heading for Aberdeen then being told you cant offload because your 5 mins late ( not that the dockers would have offloaded you anyway; you paid them while you were expected to do the actual work ;):(

Guess what HA, i do have a LOT of empathy with what ive seen the commercials put up with, and if that classifies me as far as your concerned then fine ;)

Think you better get your nonsense science sorted out quickly though, as i can't be the only one thats sick of hearing spin and the tide is turning imho ;)

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net