Sea Fishing Licence - would you pay?

Fastrantiger

Hi Barry,

Well if they are using a figure of 400,000 as a take up figure there will be either 600,000 that will stop fishing or maybe go illegal. :D

PS Don't apologize its not needed. :thumbs:

Phewwwwww, i knew i read it somewhere, thought i was going mad. (not yet).

It was in Leon's yesterday in parliament topic within the sea fishing section, post 1 = shaw speaking

post two, H A suggests 400,000 blame him. :lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are getting pretty desperate, eh?

Why don't you take a break and read somethin' useful (or just go fishun'!)?

References

Auster, P.J., Malatesta, R.J., Langton, R.W., Watling, L., Valentine, P.C., Donaldson, C.L.S., Langton, E.W., Shepard, A.N., Babb, I.G., 1996. The impacts of mobile fishing gear on seafloor habitats in the Gulf ofMaine (northwest Atlantic): implications for conservation of fish populations. Rev. Fish. Sci. 4 (2),185– 202.

Binnie Consultants, 1996. June 1995 REMOTS and benthic grab survey: the effects of trawling at Victor Rock.Report to the Hong Kong Civil Engineering Department, Geotechnical Engineering Office, February 1996,

0603/351/B. 57 pp.

Bonsdorff, E., Diaz, R.J., Rosenberg, R., Norkko, A., Cutter Jr., G.R., 1996. Characterization of soft bottombenthic habitats of the Aaland islands, northern Baltic Sea. Mar. Ecol., Prog. Ser. 142, 235–245.

Caddy, J.F., 1973. Underwater observations on tracks of dredges and trawls and some effects of dredging on ascallop ground. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 30, 173–180.

Clarke, K.R., Warwick, R.M., 1994. Change in Marine Communities: An Approach to Statistical Analysis andInterpretation. Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Plymouth. 144 pp.

Coggan, R.A., Smith, C.J., Atkinson, R.J.A., Papadopoulou, K.-N., Stevenson, T.D.I., Moore, P.G., Tuck, I.D.,2001. Comparison of rapid methodologies for quantifying environmental impacts of otter trawls. Final Report

EU DG XIV Study Project 98/017. 236 pp.

Collie, J.S., Hall, S.J., Kaiser, M.J., Poiner, I.R., 2000a. A quantitative analysis of fishing impacts on shelf sea benthos. J. Anim. Ecol. 69, 785–798.

Collie, J.S., Escanero, G.A., Valentine, P.C., 2000b. Photographic evaluation of the impacts of bottom fishing on benthic epifauna. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57, 987– 1001.

Dayton, P.K., Thrush, S.F., Agardy, M.T., Hofman, R.J., 1995. Environmental effects of marine fishing. Aquat. Conserv.: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst. 5, 205– 232.

DeAlteris, J., Skobe, L., Lipsky, C., 1999. The significance of seabed disturbance by mobile fishing gearrelative to natural processes: a case study in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 22, 224– 237.

Diaz, R.J., Schaffner, L.C., 1988. Comparison of sediment landscapes in Chesapeake Bay as seen by surfaceand profile imaging. In: Lynch, M.P., Krome, E.C. (Eds.), Understanding the Estuary: Advances in Chesapeake Bay Research. Publ. 129, CBP/TRS 24/88. Chesapeake Research Consortium, Solomon, MD,pp. 222– 240.

Friedlander, A.M., Boehlert, G.W., Field, M.E., Mason, J.E., Gardner, J.V., Dartnell, P., 1999. Sidescan sonar mapping of benthic trawl marks on the shelf and slope off Eureka, California. Fish. Bull. 97 (4), 786– 801.

Gislason, H., Sinclair, M., Sainsbury, K., O’Boyle, R., 2000. Symposium overview: incorporating ecosystemobjectives within fisheries management. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57, 468– 475.

Grehan, A.J., Keegan, B.F., Bhaud, M., Guille, A., 1992. Sediment profile imaging of soft substrates in the western Mediterranean; the extent and importance of faunal reworking. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, III-VIE 315, 309– 315.

Hall, S.J., 1999. The Effects of Fishing on Marine Ecosystems and Communities. Blackwell, Oxford. 274 pp.

Jennings, S., Kaiser, M.J., 1998. The effects of fishing on marine ecosystems. Adv. Mar. Biol. 34, 201–352.

Jennings, S., Kaiser, M.J., Reynolds, J.D., 2001. Marine Fisheries Ecology. Blackwell, Oxford. 432 pp.

Kaiser, M.J., de Groot, S.J., 2000. The Effects of Fishing on Non-target Species and Habitats. Blackwell, Oxford.399 pp.

Kaiser, M.J., Spencer, B.E., 1996. The effects of beam trawl disturbance on infaunal communities in different habitats. J. Anim. Ecol. 65, 348– 358.

Krost, P., Bernhard, M., Werner, F., Hukriede, W., 1990. Otter trawl tracks in Kiel Bay (Western Baltic) mapped by side scan sonar. Meeresforschung 32, 344–353.

Lindeboom, H.J., de Groot, S.J. (Eds.), 1998. The effects of different types of fisheries on the North Sea and Irish Sea benthic ecosystems. Final Report to the EU, DGXIV, Contract AIR2-CT94-1664. 404 pp.

Lindegarth, M., Valentinsson, D., Hansson, M., Ulmestrand, M., 2000. Effects of trawling disturbances on temporal and spatial structure of benthic soft-sediment assemblages in Gullmarsfjorden, Sweden. ICES J.Mar. Sci. 57, 1369–1376.

Nilsson, H.C., Rosenberg, R., 1997. Benthic habitat quality assessment of an oxygen stressed fjord by surface and sediment profile images. J. Mar. Syst. 11, 249–264.

Nilsson, H.C., Rosenberg, R., 2000. Succession in marine benthic habitats and fauna in response to oxygen deficiency: analysed by sediment profile-imaging and by grab samples. Mar. Ecol., Prog. Ser. 197, 139– 149.

O’Connor, B.D.S., Costelloe, J., Keegan, B.F., Rhoads, D.C., 1989. The use of REMOTS technology in monitoring coastal enrichment resulting from mariculture. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 20, 384– 390.

Rhoads, D.C., Cande, S., 1971. Sediment profile camera for in situ study of organism – sediment relations.Limnol. Oceanogr. 16, 110– 114.

Rhoads, D.C., Germano, J.D., 1982. Characterisation of organism– sediment relations using sediment profileimaging: an efficient method of remote ecological monitoring of the seafloor (REMOTksystem). Mar. Ecol.,Prog. Ser. 8, 115–128.

Rhoads, D.C., Germano, J.D., 1986. Interpreting long-term changes in benthic community structure: a new protocol. Hydrobiologia 142, 291– 308.

Rhoads, D.C., Young, D.K., 1970. The influence of deposit-feeding organisms on sediment stability and community trophic structure. J. Mar. Res. 28 (2), 150– 178.

Rosenberg, R., Nilsson, H.C., Hellman, B., Agrenius, S., 2000. Depth correlated benthic faunal quantity and infaunal burrow structures on the slopes of a marine depression. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 50, 843–853.

Rumohr, H., 1993. Erfahrungen und Ergebnisse aus 7 Jahren Benthosmonitoring in der su¨dlichen Ostsee. In: Duinker, J.C. (Ed.), Das Biologische Monitoring der Ostsee im Institut fu¨ r Meereskunde Kiel 1985–1992, Berichte IfM, vol. 240, pp. 90– 109.

Schratzberger, M., Dinmore, T.A., Jennings, S., 2002. Impacts of trawling on the diversity, biomass and structure of meiofauna assemblages. Mar. Biol. 140, 83–93.

Schwinghamer, P., Guigne, J., Siu, W., 1996. Quantifying the impact of trawling on benthic habitat structure using high resolution acoustics and chaos theory. Can. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 53, 288–296.

Schwinghamer, P., Gordon, D.C., Rowell, T.W., Prena, J., McKeown, D.L., Sonnichsen, G., Guigne, J.Y., 1998.

Effects of experimental otter trawling on surficial sediment properties of a sandy-bottom ecosystem on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. Conserv. Biol. 12 (6), 1215–1222.

Service, M., Magorrian, B.H., 1997. The extent and temporal variation of disturbance to epibenthic communities in Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 77 (4), 1151–1164.

Smith, C.J., Papadopoulou, K.-N., 1999. The environmental impact of fishing gears on the marine environment. Final Report to the EU, DGXIV, Contract TR/MED/93/012. 153 pp.

Smith, C.J., Papadopoulou, K.-N., Diliberto, S., 2000. Impact of otter trawling on an eastern Mediterranean commercial trawl fishing ground. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57, 1340– 1351.

Solan, M., Kennedy, R., 2002. Observation and quantification of in situ animal– sediment relations using timelapse sediment profile imagery (t-SPI). Mar. Ecol., Prog. Ser. 228, 179– 191.

C.J. Smith et al. / J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 285– 286 (2003) 479–496 495

Valente, R.M., Rhoads, D.C., Germano, J.D., Cabelli, V.J., 1992. Mapping of benthic enrichment patterns in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Estuaries 15 (1), 1 –17.

Valente, R.M., Evans, N.C., Whiteside, P.G.D., 1993. Environmental monitoring in Hong Kong using the REMOTS seabed camera. Coast. Manag. Trop. Asia 6, 26– 29.

Valente, R.M., McChesney, S.M., Hodgson, G., 1999. Benthic recolonisation following cessation of dredged material disposal in Mirs Bay, Hong Kong. J. Mar. Environ. Eng. 5 (4), 257–288

Further works -

Trawling the sea bed (Sheppard, 2006)

Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 54, Issue 4, April 2007, Pages 489-490

Grimur Valdimarsson

Trawling the sea bed

Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 52, Issue 8, August 2006, Pages 831-835

Charles Sheppard

Monitoring the physical forcing of resuspension events in the Thermaikos Gulf—NW Aegean during 2001–2003

Continental Shelf Research, Volume 25, Issues 19-20, December 2005, Pages 2315-2331

E. Tragou, V. Zervakis, E. Papageorgiou, S. Stavrakakis and V. Lykousis

Trawling-induced resuspension and dispersal of muddy sediments and dissolved elements in the Gulf of Lion (NW Mediterranean)

Continental Shelf Research, Volume 25, Issues 19-20, December 2005, Pages 2387-2409

X. Durrieu de Madron, B. Ferré, G. Le Corre, C. Grenz, P. Conan, M. Pujo-Pay, R. Buscail and O. Bodiot

Distribution of mesozooplankton resting eggs in seabottom sediments of Thermaikos gulf (NW Aegean Sea, Greece) and possible effects of sediment resuspension

Continental Shelf Research, Volume 25, Issues 19-20, December 2005, Pages 2597-2608

I. Siokou-Frangou, S. Zervoudaki, V. Kambouroglou and G. Belmonte

Suspended particulate matter and nepheloid layers over the southern margin of the Cretan Sea (N.E. Mediterranean): seasonal distribution and dynamics

Progress In Oceanography, Volume 46, Issues 2-4, August 2000, Pages 163-185

G. Chronis, V. Lykousis, D. Georgopoulos, V. Zervakis, S. Stavrakakis and S. Poulos

The subsidiary impacts of dredging (and trawling) on a subtidal benthic Molluscan community in the Southern Waters of Hong Kong

Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 32, Issue 10, October 1996, Pages 701-710

Brian Morton

Trawling experiments with a two-level net to minimise the undersized gaboid by-catch in a Nephrops fishery

Fisheries Research, Volume 3, 1985, Pages 131-145

J. Main and G. I. Sangster

The impact of bottom trawling on benthic fauna of the North Sea

Ocean Management, Volume 9, Issues 3-4, September 1984, Pages 177-190

S. J. de Groot

Innit though?

<_<

Can you please point to the one that says that trawling has caused the sea bed to become the lifeless desert that you claim.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Can you please point to the one that says that trawling has caused the sea bed to become the lifeless desert that you claim.

Don't give up easy do ya?

Try a snorkel and mask ......

:D

Heh, heh ............

and as if that's not enough for our Wurzy, there's an essential-viewing, new movie out this week called ......

'Cloverfield' - (rated over 18)

Featuring a cast of unknowns, 'Cloverfield' tells its monster story from the perspective of a trawlerman's hand-held video camera, which captures the mayhem as the trawler tears through the seabed, wreaking havoc at every opportunity.

The film benefited from cryptic marketing that sent young moviegoers on a scavenger hunt to decode clues about the movie's plot, images and even its title, which was not confirmed until shortly before its release.

Don't wanna spoil it for you!

B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Most of you here will most likely be aware of the Governments proposals to bring in a 'Sea Fishing Licence' :o or to be more precise a 'Rod Licence' since it will not apply to hand lines. Although still in its early stages in Parliament, it is making progress and no doubt with every bit of bad news in the country this will be slipped through in the hope nobody notices. As a tackle shop owner I'm not happy about this, and I wouldn't expect you to be too happy either. This will affect every fisherman fishing with a rod, even people that just fish one week a year, I do not expect to say "that'll be another £25 for your licence Sir" when I sell a rod n' reel combo for £40.00 for their weeks holiday (no doubt it will fall on the shops to sell the licence). Boat anglers will also be stung for this charge, so there's no escaping. We all know this will be an impossible piece of legislation to police, but no doubt (like the 'Smoking Police', yes they do exist - I had a visit from them in my shop :rolleyes: ) we will have 'Fishing Licence Police' making examples of people (pensioners would be considered easy prey).Aside from the holiday trade, my year round customers will expect something in return for their hard earned cash. Looking at this forum you all seem to be well seasoned year round anglers and know your stuff. So, if Gordon 'nomates' Brown wants to relieve you of your cash, what would you expect in return, IF he gets his way.They tried this in Portugal and virtually killed sea angling in less than a year :angry: Your comments please guys :)
I am really shocked at this complete back door proposal for the sea fishing licence. Isn’t it yet again another stealth tax we would have to pay, all in the name of conservation. At least thats what we are led to believe, but is it really going to improve fish stocks around the UK, I doudt it. Like everything with this greedy government it will become just another means of lining the governments pockets. I am a avid conservationist who is aware of the state of the sea and the fish stocks, but perhaps they should be looking at the fact the sea is over fished by gigantic trawlers from Iceland, Norway and many many more places. I am also a sea angler, who if I am lucky may catch one or maybe two fish every few months. But its not only the actual catching of the fish, but the freedom to fish when and where I choose along the coast of Britain. Like a previous comment I read, it is about the only past time/sport that is free. Apart from walking that is(at the moment!). How is it that we can allow yet another freedom to be taken away from us, and yet no one seems to even care or be aware. Is it the intention to employ hundreds of bailiffs to patrol our coast line to make sure we have a licence or maybe they intend to board small boats at sea to check for fishing rods and fish? Why is it that people won’t voice an opinion for someting that really matters too them, or maybe they do once something has gone. Too late then. We have eneogh taxes and licences to pay already in this country. Don’t let this become yet another rich mans sport. Why are there no petitions to MP’s? Come on Brits take a stance for once and be heard. We don’t want this sea fishing licence!! :angry:

If you check the number 10 website their are at least 2 million petitions on the subject. Each with a slightly different theme, each with a few hundred signatures on. The RSA strategy is so diverse and complex and communicated so poorly that its either confused or split peoples thinking. With bag limits, licences, marine protected zones, bass nurseries, golden miles, bait digging bans etc etc etc etc, noone knows just what to oppose. Dont expect an uprising because it ain't coming.

Edited by glennk

I am really shocked at this complete back door proposal for the sea fishing licence. Isn’t it yet again another stealth tax we would have to pay, all in the name of conservation. At least thats what we are led to believe, but is it really going to improve fish stocks around the UK, I doudt it. Like everything with this greedy government it will become just another means of lining the governments pockets. I am a avid conservationist who is aware of the state of the sea and the fish stocks, but perhaps they should be looking at the fact the sea is over fished by gigantic trawlers from Iceland, Norway and many many more places. I am also a sea angler, who if I am lucky may catch one or maybe two fish every few months. But its not only the actual catching of the fish, but the freedom to fish when and where I choose along the coast of Britain. Like a previous comment I read, it is about the only past time/sport that is free. Apart from walking that is(at the moment!). How is it that we can allow yet another freedom to be taken away from us, and yet no one seems to even care or be aware. Is it the intention to employ hundreds of bailiffs to patrol our coast line to make sure we have a licence or maybe they intend to board small boats at sea to check for fishing rods and fish? Why is it that people won’t voice an opinion for someting that really matters too them, or maybe they do once something has gone. Too late then. We have eneogh taxes and licences to pay already in this country. Don’t let this become yet another rich mans sport. Why are there no petitions to MP’s? Come on Brits take a stance for once and be heard. We don’t want this sea fishing licence!! :angry:

I can honestly see your concerns here and rightly so what is so sad about all this is over past couple of years it has been disgused in private by people who were our so called angling reps who were willing to sacrifice our freedom to fish in the sea in exchange an increase in bass sizes which never materialized but what give them the right to give our freedom away its appauling defra dont give a shite about anglers its our money they are really after but on the way to doind this they will cause so much upheavel to our sport and for what nothing they want a rough ride but i think as in the meeting at bigginghill they met the real anglers on the ground and got what most think we dont want a licence a licence will lead to bag limits bait restrictions etc it will be just the start its not just about money its your freedom to fish in the sea for free anybody who thinks you will get something for a sea fishing licence are dreaming.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Think you hit the nail on the head their big cod, and all the time the sacn and NFSA were involved in drafting this strategy many people kept telling them that the anglers on the ground needed to be part of the process. Unfortunately the requests of myself, Stevie Copps, Sam Cox and many others were ignored. The secrecy was appalling and now we are left trying to recify the mess made by so few people who hardly ever wet a line. Disgraceful in every sense of the word.