Sea Fishing Licence - would you pay?

Fastrantiger

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cod quota was going for around £1000 a ton before christmas fishemen holding fishermen to randsom but a little bird told me an agreement has been reached for around £400 ton mark by the po.

Quotas were addressed in Parliamentary Written Answers yesterday

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2008-01-15a.177617.h

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2008-01-15a.177618.h

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2008-01-15a.177619.h

Oh! And the decline in Landed Value by under 10s

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2008-01-15a.176143.h

2005 38.1

2006 76.2

(Well it seemed to be declining but until Buyers and Sellers came in nobody really knew, then it kinda doubled - I wonder what the taxman makes of that!)

Ah!

Might as well include the link to the enforcement figures too

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2008-01-15a.177441.h

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

.... they are being forced to leave the industry, good news for you and H.A I can hear you both laughing from here.

Just to put the record straight, I don't laugh at others' predicaments.

Neither do I harbour any 'hatred' of people involved in the fishing industry, as at least one member of the forum suggests.

It does seem to me though, that whatever problems commercial fishermen have, they are always very quick to find someone/something else to blame, be it quotas, EU/CFP, lack of fish, size limits, Fisheries Officers, MFA, Press, other media, Greenpeace, scientists, other industries, aggregate abstraction ......................... the list is endless.

In my time on the SSFC, it was static gear fishermen moaning about beam trawlers or Under 12s venting their feelings about over 12s ........... blah, blah and more blah!

Get out while you can might be helpful?

:rolleyes:

These are the figures (UK only) which underline the Herald's leader quote -

defrafleetsize95-04.jpg

Defra stopped giving stats like this one after 2004. I wonder why?

er, they are now produced by the MFA

1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006

Fleet size at end of year ©

(no. of vessels) 7,812 7,639 7,448 7,242 7,169 7,033 6,735 6,642 6,342 6,372

Employment (d)

(no. of fishermen) 18,604 17,889 16,896 15,649 14,958 14,205 13,122 13,453 12,831 12,934

This and lots more at:

http://www.mfa.gov.uk/statistics/documents...hStats_2006.pdf

http://www.mfa.gov.uk/statistics/ukseafish.htm

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Hi H.A

2006 They fell to 4800 the reason the numbers are falling is lack of quota

steve

Wrong again Steve, you really should try and keep up.

The figure you mis-quoted for 2006 is simply the under 10s and not the total number of UK fishing vessels, which is 6,372, thats an increase of 30 vessels from 2005 (6,342). This total does not include a further 386 vessels registered and 'fishing' in the Islands (IOM, Jersey and Guernsey). In 2006, the number of under 10m vessels was 4,896, compared to the 4,834 active in 2005, so your decrease in fishing boats due to a lack of quota is in actual effect not true and the opposite is the case, i.e. an increase in under 10m fishing vessels of 62 vessels, this is despite a lack of quota as you say. A total of 23 over 10m vessels were removed/decommissioned in England, NI and Wales and a further 9 in Scotland which is a total of 32, yet there are still 30 more fishing vessels in 2006 than there were in 2005, all of which in the under 10m sector.

Of course DEFRA, the SFC's, EU, Lloyds etc. are probably all lying and you are absolutely right.

You must of ducked, the point flew well over your head.

In my area the French get 2/3 of the cod quota, that means the UK fishermen in my area get 1/3, of which the under 10mtr vessels get 3%

Your point was therefore somewhat obtuse and or cryptic, because other than you complaining that the French get most of the quota, you didn't make a point. You say that the only people making record landings, are the big beamers, and in your next post you say that there are very few otter trawlers, unlike the French, and the French have the majority of the cod quota in your area.

So as I have missed your point :rolleyes: , can you explain to me,as you only have a few otter trawlers on the south coast, how the rest of the world has missed the seemingly huge benefit of beam trawling for cod? I assume that as you bemoan the lack of cod quota, because the French have it based on the historical track record and fleet size, you believe the southern English boats should have a bigger share of this quota, despite the fact they are not rigged to effectively fish for cod. If that is the case, on what basis do you consider this to be a legitimate claim? Its a bit like rigging to go sole and plaice fishing with rockhopper gear, yes you'll catch some, but not as many as you would using the right gears, in this case otter trawlers, which as you point out, there are very few on the south and channel coasts.

In addition, is there not a bycatch limit on cod in beam trawl fisheries (5%), I'm not sure about this last bit, I may have got this arse about face. I do however, totally agree that there is a significant descrepancy between what the under 10's can catch and the over 10m PO brigade.

Thats one of the reasons that the numbers of UK fishermen are declining, they are being forced to leave the industry, good news for you and H.A I can hear you both laughing from here.

Still thats licencing for you, you will soon find out whow insidious licencing is, and I will not be laughing at you much

As stated above, your assumption that UK fishermen are being forced to leave the industry due to a lack of quota is not borne out in the officially available statistics. Additionally, do not presume that I wish to see no UK fishing industry and that I would and do take great pleasure in the demise of commercial fishing. You are so far from the mark, and as you do not know me I fail to understand how you can make such a general statement, perhaps when you complain about anglers making sweeping statements next time you should consider your own inability to think clearly.

Bd

Dear Mr Shaw, what part of this don't you understand and i will repeat it for you.

The rsa sector of the fishing industry ain't broke, please do not fix it.

No carparks, toilets, slipways, sign boards for other people to use paid for by the rsa, no thanks.

Please confirm what you have done for the rsa since you took office, NOTHING, please continue. :angry:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Dear Mr Shaw, what part of this don't you understand and i will repeat it for you.

The rsa sector of the fishing industry ain't broke, please do not fix it.

No carparks, toilets, slipways, sign boards for other people to use paid for by the rsa, no thanks.

Please confirm what you have done for the rsa since you took office, NOTHING, please continue. :angry:

:clap::clap::clap: trouble is he won't understand what your saying.

Joe

Re: UK FISHERIES (No, not EU CFP!)

Dear Mr Shaw

You haven't got the foggiest have you ... now be honest, OK?

Unfortunately, you are ill-advised by others who are equally clueless about managing fisheries.

As a result, your commercial and recreational sectors are 'up in arms' about the state of UK Fisheries.

What you need, my dear chap is a 'new model' to begin to turn around the exploitation of our resources and to keep UK resources for the benefit of UK citizens.

Might I be so bold as to suggest that a little night time reading by yourself and that nice Mr Anderson (Marine and Fisheries Director, DEfra ... you must know him?) would not go amiss?

http://www.gsmfc.org/

In particular, have a look at this stuff -

http://marinefisheries.org/

Have a look at how easiy it is to regulate your fisheries and implement decisions made jointly by regular meetings of scientists and fishermen:

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pubann/pa07/sfbulletins.htm

and

Closures are the most pervasive effort restriction used in the United States. Closures should be defined as a prohibition on fishing in a certain area within a fishery for a period of time. The closure can be year around or for only a short time. The closure can be limited to retention of certain species (i.e., herring or flounder) or certain types of gear (i.e., trawling or longlining). The largest closures off the United States are those prohibiting foreign vessels from catching fish within 12 nautical miles of the continental United States. Closures exist in the Gulf of Mexico to protect coral reefs, in the Gulf of Alaska to prevent gear conflicts with the US crab boats, in Bristol Bay, off Alaska, to protect young crab and halibut, and off the Columbia River of Oregon and Washington, to protect migrating salmon and allow recreational fishing. They can be as small as a few square miles or large as many thousands of square miles.

and

Seasons are the inverse of closures. They open an otherwise closed area to fishing for a portion of a year. The season may affect the entire fishery or a sub-area of the fishery. It might also apply to fishing for a particular species or with a type of gear (i.e., bottom trawling).

and

Effort restrictions on domestic fishing vessels are similar to those on foreign vessels but the specific regulations vary widely from fishery to fishery.

There's a start, Sir.

See how easy it can be if you have the political will and spine to do it.

No model is perfect of course, but almost anything would be better than what we have now.

These USA folks seem to care about their fishery resources rather than 'kowtow' to some group of scruffs who indulge themselves somewhere in Belgium (where's Belgium .... what do they know? Yes, that is where the the nice Mr Poirot comes from.).

Perhaps it would be helpful to establish that the British Government is responsible for British waters and to carefully define what you mean by this, so that our European partners understand?

Now start earning your money as a Minister of the HM Government, OK?

yours etc

A. Nangler

:angry:

Edited by H.A.

Some more Questions on Licensing answered yesterday:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po.../Questions.html

(Keep writing to your MPs and get them asking the questions important to you, where it matters - the more they are questioned, the harder it is to be swept under the carpet)

Find Your MP at http://www.theyworkforyou.com

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Sorry Wurzel i missed this one, must be getting confused. At present to ssfc has written to the charter skippers of boats over twelve stating that if they fish within the 6 mile limit they will be prosecuted. As their the ssfc brief is regarding conservation the differance between twelve and over is of no consequence as all are licenced for ten anglers maximum. Obviously during the winter the skippers rely on the inshore fishing weather wise, also within six mile is the deep hole, several banks for bream, rays, portland race etc. so the likes of pat carlin who have fished there for years are being told, you can't. Most of the cats certainly have more than 300hp, It must be a local by-law that they keep refering to. Regarding crappy weather, obviously the bigger the boat, more safer it is.

They have approached the ssfc and also ministers etc to as for dispensation, to date, no success. As others have posted it was designed to keep the larger trawlers etc out but unfortunatly some jobsworth have picked up on the fact that some of the charter boats are over ten. There are others that are affected, but i don't know of them. This is to be further discussed by the ssfc on the 19th of this month, interesting times ahead.

This link sums up the usefullness and fairness of sfc all in the name on conservation. I think not.

Are they on another planet. Why could they not issue an amendment for the charter boats? Anyone can think of a justifiable reason to continue with this by-law for the charter boats?

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...ern_Byelaw.html

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..