Sea Fishing Licence - would you pay?

Fastrantiger

Think you better get your nonsense science sorted out quickly though, as i can't be the only one thats sick of hearing spin and the tide is turning imho

You're also confusing things a little.

The science is not mine; it's covered by a thousand pieces of original and thorough methodology (otherwise respected journals would not touch any of it). I read it; reject some and accept those for which there is no spin; just plain fact and evidence.

If spin was a criterion, you'd be in the Shane Warne class!

If it comes to a choice between the evidence offered by hundreds of scientific studies and you, I know what I'd put more faith in.

If the tide is turning, I hope you're on the ebb.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious that someone can rubbish the idea that technology is responsible for the loss of stocks and then two lines later come out with the line

Then came the ring net, then came purse seine, now its pelagic trawlers

What are those things if not technology?

What are diesel engines, sonar, GPS etc etc if not technology?

You're also confusing things a little.

The science is not mine; it's covered by a thousand pieces of original and thorough methodology (otherwise respected journals would not touch any of it). I read it; reject some and accept those for which there is no spin; just plain fact and evidence.

If spin was a criterion, you'd be in the Shane Warne class!

If it comes to a choice between the evidence offered by hundreds of scientific studies and you, I know what I'd put more faith in.

If the tide is turning, I hope you're on the ebb.

:rolleyes:

You are right HA the science is not yours nor is it those of most of your links to different mainly green sites you often use, they are usually based on just one or two science papers of which they usually exaggerate or only use the points that suite their cause or to generate the state of fear they need, like you and your trawling statements, and in some cases if that original science is flawed then all the rest that use it are.

None of us disagree that trawling alters the sea bed and there will be a difference in areas not trawled, but turning most of the sea bed into a lifeless desert is just spin and lies on your part.

.reject some and accept those for which there is no spin;

I suspect you do the opposite

I can’t say that I’ve notice any spin in any of Jaffa’s posts, perhaps you could show us some comparisons with your posts.

I fish to live and live to fish.

.... they are usually based on just one or two science papers of which they usually exaggerate or only use the points that suite their cause or to generate the state of fear they need, like you and your trawling statements

You guys are getting pretty desperate, eh?

Why don't you take a break and read somethin' useful (or just go fishun'!)?

References

Auster, P.J., Malatesta, R.J., Langton, R.W., Watling, L., Valentine, P.C., Donaldson, C.L.S., Langton, E.W., Shepard, A.N., Babb, I.G., 1996. The impacts of mobile fishing gear on seafloor habitats in the Gulf ofMaine (northwest Atlantic): implications for conservation of fish populations. Rev. Fish. Sci. 4 (2),185– 202.

Binnie Consultants, 1996. June 1995 REMOTS and benthic grab survey: the effects of trawling at Victor Rock.Report to the Hong Kong Civil Engineering Department, Geotechnical Engineering Office, February 1996,

0603/351/B. 57 pp.

Bonsdorff, E., Diaz, R.J., Rosenberg, R., Norkko, A., Cutter Jr., G.R., 1996. Characterization of soft bottombenthic habitats of the Aaland islands, northern Baltic Sea. Mar. Ecol., Prog. Ser. 142, 235–245.

Caddy, J.F., 1973. Underwater observations on tracks of dredges and trawls and some effects of dredging on ascallop ground. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 30, 173–180.

Clarke, K.R., Warwick, R.M., 1994. Change in Marine Communities: An Approach to Statistical Analysis andInterpretation. Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Plymouth. 144 pp.

Coggan, R.A., Smith, C.J., Atkinson, R.J.A., Papadopoulou, K.-N., Stevenson, T.D.I., Moore, P.G., Tuck, I.D.,2001. Comparison of rapid methodologies for quantifying environmental impacts of otter trawls. Final Report

EU DG XIV Study Project 98/017. 236 pp.

Collie, J.S., Hall, S.J., Kaiser, M.J., Poiner, I.R., 2000a. A quantitative analysis of fishing impacts on shelf sea benthos. J. Anim. Ecol. 69, 785–798.

Collie, J.S., Escanero, G.A., Valentine, P.C., 2000b. Photographic evaluation of the impacts of bottom fishing on benthic epifauna. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57, 987– 1001.

Dayton, P.K., Thrush, S.F., Agardy, M.T., Hofman, R.J., 1995. Environmental effects of marine fishing. Aquat. Conserv.: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst. 5, 205– 232.

DeAlteris, J., Skobe, L., Lipsky, C., 1999. The significance of seabed disturbance by mobile fishing gearrelative to natural processes: a case study in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 22, 224– 237.

Diaz, R.J., Schaffner, L.C., 1988. Comparison of sediment landscapes in Chesapeake Bay as seen by surfaceand profile imaging. In: Lynch, M.P., Krome, E.C. (Eds.), Understanding the Estuary: Advances in Chesapeake Bay Research. Publ. 129, CBP/TRS 24/88. Chesapeake Research Consortium, Solomon, MD,pp. 222– 240.

Friedlander, A.M., Boehlert, G.W., Field, M.E., Mason, J.E., Gardner, J.V., Dartnell, P., 1999. Sidescan sonar mapping of benthic trawl marks on the shelf and slope off Eureka, California. Fish. Bull. 97 (4), 786– 801.

Gislason, H., Sinclair, M., Sainsbury, K., O’Boyle, R., 2000. Symposium overview: incorporating ecosystemobjectives within fisheries management. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57, 468– 475.

Grehan, A.J., Keegan, B.F., Bhaud, M., Guille, A., 1992. Sediment profile imaging of soft substrates in the western Mediterranean; the extent and importance of faunal reworking. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, III-VIE 315, 309– 315.

Hall, S.J., 1999. The Effects of Fishing on Marine Ecosystems and Communities. Blackwell, Oxford. 274 pp.

Jennings, S., Kaiser, M.J., 1998. The effects of fishing on marine ecosystems. Adv. Mar. Biol. 34, 201–352.

Jennings, S., Kaiser, M.J., Reynolds, J.D., 2001. Marine Fisheries Ecology. Blackwell, Oxford. 432 pp.

Kaiser, M.J., de Groot, S.J., 2000. The Effects of Fishing on Non-target Species and Habitats. Blackwell, Oxford.399 pp.

Kaiser, M.J., Spencer, B.E., 1996. The effects of beam trawl disturbance on infaunal communities in different habitats. J. Anim. Ecol. 65, 348– 358.

Krost, P., Bernhard, M., Werner, F., Hukriede, W., 1990. Otter trawl tracks in Kiel Bay (Western Baltic) mapped by side scan sonar. Meeresforschung 32, 344–353.

Lindeboom, H.J., de Groot, S.J. (Eds.), 1998. The effects of different types of fisheries on the North Sea and Irish Sea benthic ecosystems. Final Report to the EU, DGXIV, Contract AIR2-CT94-1664. 404 pp.

Lindegarth, M., Valentinsson, D., Hansson, M., Ulmestrand, M., 2000. Effects of trawling disturbances on temporal and spatial structure of benthic soft-sediment assemblages in Gullmarsfjorden, Sweden. ICES J.Mar. Sci. 57, 1369–1376.

Nilsson, H.C., Rosenberg, R., 1997. Benthic habitat quality assessment of an oxygen stressed fjord by surface and sediment profile images. J. Mar. Syst. 11, 249–264.

Nilsson, H.C., Rosenberg, R., 2000. Succession in marine benthic habitats and fauna in response to oxygen deficiency: analysed by sediment profile-imaging and by grab samples. Mar. Ecol., Prog. Ser. 197, 139– 149.

O’Connor, B.D.S., Costelloe, J., Keegan, B.F., Rhoads, D.C., 1989. The use of REMOTS technology in monitoring coastal enrichment resulting from mariculture. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 20, 384– 390.

Rhoads, D.C., Cande, S., 1971. Sediment profile camera for in situ study of organism – sediment relations.Limnol. Oceanogr. 16, 110– 114.

Rhoads, D.C., Germano, J.D., 1982. Characterisation of organism– sediment relations using sediment profileimaging: an efficient method of remote ecological monitoring of the seafloor (REMOTksystem). Mar. Ecol.,Prog. Ser. 8, 115–128.

Rhoads, D.C., Germano, J.D., 1986. Interpreting long-term changes in benthic community structure: a new protocol. Hydrobiologia 142, 291– 308.

Rhoads, D.C., Young, D.K., 1970. The influence of deposit-feeding organisms on sediment stability and community trophic structure. J. Mar. Res. 28 (2), 150– 178.

Rosenberg, R., Nilsson, H.C., Hellman, B., Agrenius, S., 2000. Depth correlated benthic faunal quantity and infaunal burrow structures on the slopes of a marine depression. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 50, 843–853.

Rumohr, H., 1993. Erfahrungen und Ergebnisse aus 7 Jahren Benthosmonitoring in der su¨dlichen Ostsee. In: Duinker, J.C. (Ed.), Das Biologische Monitoring der Ostsee im Institut fu¨ r Meereskunde Kiel 1985–1992, Berichte IfM, vol. 240, pp. 90– 109.

Schratzberger, M., Dinmore, T.A., Jennings, S., 2002. Impacts of trawling on the diversity, biomass and structure of meiofauna assemblages. Mar. Biol. 140, 83–93.

Schwinghamer, P., Guigne, J., Siu, W., 1996. Quantifying the impact of trawling on benthic habitat structure using high resolution acoustics and chaos theory. Can. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 53, 288–296.

Schwinghamer, P., Gordon, D.C., Rowell, T.W., Prena, J., McKeown, D.L., Sonnichsen, G., Guigne, J.Y., 1998.

Effects of experimental otter trawling on surficial sediment properties of a sandy-bottom ecosystem on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. Conserv. Biol. 12 (6), 1215–1222.

Service, M., Magorrian, B.H., 1997. The extent and temporal variation of disturbance to epibenthic communities in Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 77 (4), 1151–1164.

Smith, C.J., Papadopoulou, K.-N., 1999. The environmental impact of fishing gears on the marine environment. Final Report to the EU, DGXIV, Contract TR/MED/93/012. 153 pp.

Smith, C.J., Papadopoulou, K.-N., Diliberto, S., 2000. Impact of otter trawling on an eastern Mediterranean commercial trawl fishing ground. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57, 1340– 1351.

Solan, M., Kennedy, R., 2002. Observation and quantification of in situ animal– sediment relations using timelapse sediment profile imagery (t-SPI). Mar. Ecol., Prog. Ser. 228, 179– 191.

C.J. Smith et al. / J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 285– 286 (2003) 479–496 495

Valente, R.M., Rhoads, D.C., Germano, J.D., Cabelli, V.J., 1992. Mapping of benthic enrichment patterns in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Estuaries 15 (1), 1 –17.

Valente, R.M., Evans, N.C., Whiteside, P.G.D., 1993. Environmental monitoring in Hong Kong using the REMOTS seabed camera. Coast. Manag. Trop. Asia 6, 26– 29.

Valente, R.M., McChesney, S.M., Hodgson, G., 1999. Benthic recolonisation following cessation of dredged material disposal in Mirs Bay, Hong Kong. J. Mar. Environ. Eng. 5 (4), 257–288

Further works -

Trawling the sea bed (Sheppard, 2006)

Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 54, Issue 4, April 2007, Pages 489-490

Grimur Valdimarsson

Trawling the sea bed

Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 52, Issue 8, August 2006, Pages 831-835

Charles Sheppard

Monitoring the physical forcing of resuspension events in the Thermaikos Gulf—NW Aegean during 2001–2003

Continental Shelf Research, Volume 25, Issues 19-20, December 2005, Pages 2315-2331

E. Tragou, V. Zervakis, E. Papageorgiou, S. Stavrakakis and V. Lykousis

Trawling-induced resuspension and dispersal of muddy sediments and dissolved elements in the Gulf of Lion (NW Mediterranean)

Continental Shelf Research, Volume 25, Issues 19-20, December 2005, Pages 2387-2409

X. Durrieu de Madron, B. Ferré, G. Le Corre, C. Grenz, P. Conan, M. Pujo-Pay, R. Buscail and O. Bodiot

Distribution of mesozooplankton resting eggs in seabottom sediments of Thermaikos gulf (NW Aegean Sea, Greece) and possible effects of sediment resuspension

Continental Shelf Research, Volume 25, Issues 19-20, December 2005, Pages 2597-2608

I. Siokou-Frangou, S. Zervoudaki, V. Kambouroglou and G. Belmonte

Suspended particulate matter and nepheloid layers over the southern margin of the Cretan Sea (N.E. Mediterranean): seasonal distribution and dynamics

Progress In Oceanography, Volume 46, Issues 2-4, August 2000, Pages 163-185

G. Chronis, V. Lykousis, D. Georgopoulos, V. Zervakis, S. Stavrakakis and S. Poulos

The subsidiary impacts of dredging (and trawling) on a subtidal benthic Molluscan community in the Southern Waters of Hong Kong

Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 32, Issue 10, October 1996, Pages 701-710

Brian Morton

Trawling experiments with a two-level net to minimise the undersized gaboid by-catch in a Nephrops fishery

Fisheries Research, Volume 3, 1985, Pages 131-145

J. Main and G. I. Sangster

The impact of bottom trawling on benthic fauna of the North Sea

Ocean Management, Volume 9, Issues 3-4, September 1984, Pages 177-190

S. J. de Groot

... they are usually based on just one or two science papers ....

Innit though?

<_<

Gentlemen,

Forget about what you will get for your money, because you will get nothing, think about it what could you get, no one can improve the fishing waters for anglers, it is all controlled or not by the commercial consideration and activity.

Should the Tax become a fact it will be that a "Tax" on you leisure time and there is little or nothing you will be able to do about it apart from stop fishing.

Should this Government decide to place a licence on sea fishing you will have no choice but to pay if you wish to stay legal.

Sad but true.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Gentlemen,

Forget about what you will get for your money, because you will get nothing, think about it what could you get, no one can improve the fishing waters for anglers, it is all controlled or not by the commercial consideration and activity.

Should the Tax become a fact it will be that a "Tax" on you leisure time and there is little or nothing you will be able to do about it apart from stop fishing.

Should this Government decide to place a licence on sea fishing you will have no choice but to pay if you wish to stay legal.

Sad but true.

Well, according to johnny shaw the other day, one of those they work for you geezers, he said the goverment prelims and start up costs were app 2 mill max, on a proposel to collect 9 mill, that leaves a hefty sum of 7 mill to spend 'enhancing' the rsa sector in the first year alone. What he failed to mention however is the cost of the science, policing, uncle toms pension fund etc. So you may well be right. :) Whats the betting that if shaw gets his way, the ratepayers will end up subsidizing this as well, who wants to bet.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Well, according to johnny shaw the other day, one of those they work for you geezers, he said the goverment prelims and start up costs were app 2 mill max, on a proposel to collect 9 mill, that leaves a hefty sum of 7 mill to spend 'enhancing' the rsa sector in the first year alone. What he failed to mention however is the cost of the science, policing, uncle toms pension fund etc. So you may well be right. :) Whats the betting that if shaw gets his way, the ratepayers will end up subsidizing this as well, who wants to bet.

Hi Barry,

Only replying as you used my post as a quote.

Who are you geezers, not sure?

On the collection side i have seen that the anticipated sea anglers numbers are one million, therefore collection at £25.00 would be £25.000.000.oo not nine.

I think that's the TAX element that makes them the Government go for it.

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

Sorry medwaygreen, i was refering to shaw being one of those 'goverment they work for you guys' that's what they lable themselves as.

I read the other day that they were using a figure of 400.000 take up.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Sorry medwaygreen, i was refering to shaw being one of those 'goverment they work for you guys' that's what they lable themselves as.

I read the other day that they were using a figure of 400.000 take up.

-1 on that figure barry because i for one wont be contributing towards their tax

Hi Barry,

Well if they are using a figure of 400,000 as a take up figure there will be either 600,000 that will stop fishing or maybe go illegal. :D

PS Don't apologize its not needed. :thumbs: