Circular Polarizer's.

Hellbelly

So we bought a new car the other week and I'm home from work early today (must be Christmas or something) and went out to take a few pics. Then I thought I'd show you just what a difference a CP makes to a shot.

Here is the without CP shot.

CPexample2.jpg

And here is the With CP shot.

CPexample.jpg

Well, technically they're both "WITH" CP shots but one is with the effect dialed right out the other dialed in.

rb_getcreative.gif

LOL. Tell me about it. I went out to buy a VT commodore and came back with an AU Fairmont. Blame Tracy. After seeing this one, every car after it was "Well, it nice but not as nice as the other one". It IS a nice car though. I love the interior. Black and gray not just gray and gray like the old commode. Anyway, what do you think about the CP example?

The interior.

newcarinterior.jpg

Mick.

Edited by Hellbelly
rb_getcreative.gif

a very good example, huge difference.

Love the car by the way.

Did i tell you i drive a fairmont as well, another couple of years and i can register it as an antique. ( I think ).

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Cheers HB. That was a very helpful practical example.

2008 - will have one of these bad boys. Hopefully strapped to a 17-55 f2.8. :) If I can convince Sharon (again) that it makes the pictures of Pip look a little more crisp. She tells me that if I stop drinking, I may get a better handholding technique. Gotta love her for getting the technique/equipment argument soooo right, soooo quickly. Curse her. :P:lol:

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

well how's that for a coincidence mick??

yesterday the sun came out here for the first time here in about 2 years and gave me a wee chance to try out my polarizer and i did the same as you out my bedroom window to my car in the drive.

i've deleted them though, but it was surprising what it did.

of course it will be another 2 years before i can do it again :rolleyes:

roll on kenya..... B) B) B)

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

This guy gave an illustrated talk at the Grafham Water Fly Fishers meeting earlier this month see his Website here all taken using polarising filters. Quite impressive!

Just need lots of sunshine, water and some decent fish!

Colin

Beats looking at Fords :D

Don't look at the "Print Sales" page, frightened me almost to death!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Colin Brett

A great example HB :camera::thumbs: Colin that was a great link with some stunningshots. Cheers for that :sun:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Don't forget though, a polarising filter achieves the best effect when pointing at 90 degrees to the sun....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

CPs really come into there own in landscape (rich blue sky) and through-water (kill surface glare) shots, but there are many instances where a CP can be used.

As John says, the angle of the source of light to the lens is crutial for the best effect. Often just moving your position a few feet, and lining your lens at a different angle, can produce a pronounced difference to the polarising effect.

Also don't forget to remove any protection filter that you may have attached to your lens .. UV/Skylight etc.

You will not get the best results from your CP if it is "stacked" on top of other filters. Also "stacking" filters can cause condensation between the the layers of glass in front of your lens, with obvious results to picture quality. :o

As always .. buy the best you can afford. Not much point in paying for a high-quality lens .. then sticking "cheap" glass in front of it !! ;);)

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.