Headlamps

Scotty T

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My twopenneth FWIW:

I have to agree with Dale. I bought a Tiga about 3 years ago after making do with various incarnations of Petzls and haven't looked back since.

I suppose it all depends on where you fish. Rocks require as much light as possible for safety, LEDs are more suited to beach fishing.

Guest jay_con

Admittedely the tiga is great for baiting on a winters night. I wouldnt be without mine.

Anglers who take them cod fishing should be banned from the rocks, you scare all the fish away.

I do often wonder when you are on a beack or rock/pier mark with alot of anglers on it and about the 1st 50 yards of water is illuminated with lights that look like prison spotlights,l I have to confess to bieng one of the culprits but will watch wwhere my light shines in future!

Tight Lines

Shaun

Ever done a night dive?

Believe me, even in clear water, you can't see far and light doesn't penetrate far at all.

Lord only knows what it would be like in the UK.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

wade out in mucky water and look down and yer feet will have disappeared in inches.

don't think a headlamp a night is going to make any difference.

further proof. promanade fishing, which we used to do. whole area is lit up and still we catch cod.

Guest jay_con

It may look dark to you elton. Remember the fishes life depends on finding his/her way about and being able to avoid us humans and other predaters. i dont think its dark to them.

sea fish dont learn anything :confused:

they have no clue that humans are bad people ,a sea fish caught rarely goes back in and thinks "hmmmm light = human = being caught" :confused:

fresh water fish are released so may "remember" the experience they just had isnt normal and that the large dark thing staring at them was a human (if they can see anything at all in air) and best avoided.

fish and most everything else learn by experience ,if young freddy see his "mum" (probably his bro and sis though) evading a certain other type of fish he will too (over and above "natural" defensive responses) and humans dont come into the sequence as were very late on the evolution roadmap so probably dont count in any genetic pre program of nasties to avoid.

if a fish is afraid of a human its probably just the human size (bears or seals etc) rather than an actuall human itself.

therefore light cannot enter the scene because not knowing what humans are they cannot establish a link between us and light and danger and as nothing much can produce light (besides angler fish etc) then that too isnt pre programmed to avoid other than daylight ,light moving about is natural as the waves cut it up ,i suspect even our brightest light would appear to fish as a early dawn rather than danger

[ 08. October 2004, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I use a Samalite with the biggest battery, 5W for baiting up and 20W for netting big fish at the base of the pier. It has 16 hours of battery life so it is good for the longest session. We have spotted bass feeding close to the surface off the pier. They will swim round in the light, the guy I fish with has the same light and we have had a bass in 2 times 20W swimming around for a minute or so. I do not think that 5W puts out enough light to penetrate very deeply in to the water and 20W is not a lot more. I can see 10m deep quite clearly in daylight on some days but the most one can see under the light is a few metres. Maybe fresh water fish close in and in shallow water are scared by light but sea fish 75m out and in maybe 15m of water will hardly notice even the most powerful headlight.

We have used a Coleman lamp to attract pollack and scad but the light has to be close to the water and the attractant power of the lamp does not spread out far.

Squid are attracted to lamps on the pier but you have to fish close in under the lamp to enjoy any benefit.

Some fish are bothered by light, conger do not seem to like feeding under bright moonlight if they live in areas away from human habitation but if they live around the bottom of piers they seem to adapt to higher levels of night time light.

Sunlight is a lot of watts per square metre, to put out anything like the same amount of light you would need an array of bulbs and a big thick power cable plugged into the mains.