hi beginner needs help/tips

crab master

"as his rod snapped cos he caught a conger that was really big"

He either had a defect in the rod (possible) or else he isn't nearly as good as he thinks (probable). With a proper setup (rod matches reel matches line matches hooks), if something breaks it should not ever be the rod.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well, local tackle shop is certainly a good place for up to date local information. They hear reports from lots of folks and have a vested interest in your success because it will probably bring you back to buy more good from them.

General information from this site is excellent. We have enough good anglers that anyone posting rubbish will not enjoy it very much.

It is also very possible that the fella you were talking to wanted to reduce the competition on that portion of beach. Nasty trick but if he could steer you wrong, you wouldn't catch many of the available fish and probably wouldn't be back.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

To catch bream, use a 2 hook paternoster with size 1 hooks baited with squid, either a calamari head, or strips. Fish on clean ground near to rocks, if you get wrasse you're to close. Daylight/dawn/dusk is best.

If you're really keen to get them, then take a trip to Alderney or Guernsey, they'll probably be around until Xmas in the C.I.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

good advice from Toerag, I have caught black bream in Cornwall, used very light gear with a 3 hook paternoster, small hoos and small squid strips.

I would be surprised if they are still about as I thought they were a warmer weather fish.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy whatever takes your bait.

kind regards

Gary

www.preludecharters.co.uk

Crab master, looking at your profile you are in a good area for the Cod through the winter months. Wasn`t the shore caught record Cod from your area, Cold Knap ?

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Crab?

I might be speaking out of my other end, but Black Bream might be harder to target in winter?

On the S.Coast (Weymouth), they`re definitely thinning out. But then again, I expect we`ll still catch mackeral on New Years Eve?

Strange thing is? Black Bream, Ballan Wrasse etc. If you catch one during the winter, they`ll most probably be belters!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

missed the bass/bream run this year but we normally go for them oct/nov if theyre still about. (i'm dorset based)

Normally they feed hardest on a hard strong tide...they can be found over rough ground, even light shingle.

I use a 2 down rig, baited with mackerel strip and tipped off with an inch/inch and half long strip of clean white squid. Size 2/0 hooks and a light rod. Trotting back in the tide is the trick and not striking helps...its a bit of a knack...teasing the fish to strike the bait...the wieght needs to be hard on the bottom...move it too much and they'll get spooked, leave it too long and doggie/huss/ray/conger will jump on your bait, which can be fun if your really light

The squid tip I think is the magic ingredient.

This is off a boat mind you, but i've had them off rag off the shore on 3 hook flappers...small ones mind.

Awesome fighting fish...tasty too, but put the small ones back eh Caught 10 the last trip in an hour...great fun.

[ 01. November 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: gonefishing ]

Squid is the only bait to use for bream. They will take other baits, but it is by far the best and easiest to use. If you're going to try for them on the mainland, then Chesil must be a good bet, but as spasor said, they're starting to leave for the winter. They tend to give good bites by the way, really banging the rod tip.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com