Live-baiting is cruel and barbaric

tiddlertamer

These are (IMO) the contradicting views that puzzle me, and is why I started the 'Ethics' thread.

There are some things accepted as normal in todays angling, that I do not agree with. One is 'bolt rigs', which (especially when used with bite alarms, and bivvies) I feel are no more than 'set lines' (which are illegal). But his is my view, and although I don't use or agree with the method, I wouldn't call for a ban on them, I just don't do it myself.

John.

Gozzer a bolt rig is not like a set line at all. If you think that then any line with a baited hook is a set line. One major factor is a bolt rig set up has someone either watching it or will be there in a few seconds to reel the fish in when the alarm goes off.

With a set line you bugger off till later on or tomorrow so it's totally different.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gozzer a bolt rig is not like a set line at all. If you think that then any line with a baited hook is a set line. One major factor is a bolt rig set up has someone either watching it or will be there in a few seconds to reel the fish in when the alarm goes off.

With a set line you bugger off till later on or tomorrow so it's totally different.

Calm down Tigger, I just said that it was my opinion, obviously yours differs to mine, and if your happy with it, fine, no problem. :)

I don't want to get into rights and wrongs of any legal method, I don't do it, some do.

Choices, that's what it's all about.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Calm down Tigger, I just said that it was my opinion, obviously yours differs to mine, and if your happy with it, fine, no problem. :)

I don't want to get into rights and wrongs of any legal method, I don't do it, some do.

Choices, that's what it's all about.

John.

What makes you think I'm not calm, I'm as calm as a cucumber :mellow::lol:

Gozzer, all sorts of side issues in your post; how do I know whether a carp (or any of the other fish I fish for) shudders?...I don't, but I don't see it happen. So it is not an issue with me.

How meat is killed...KILLED....before being eaten does not bother me either (assuming normal methods of dispatch, quick and painless as possible.)

Re Otters, all I have said, and will repeat, is that they have no place on a fishery, at least not one where the owner has introduced valuable stock into a lake that has been free of them for years and years Especially in a lake which was dug out long after the last Otter in the area was extinct. I would treat them the same as a farmer treats a fox which raids his chickens.

What I think/feel about other creatures is not relevant to the livebaiting issue...it is all in the words...LIVE and BAITING.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Worth mentioning at this point that I am passionate about the pleasure fishing brings to me and to millions of other people. Fishing is fun. But not only is it enjoyable but it has also had a huge impact in clearing up waterways and reversing the abhorrent damage caused by polluters. People should be proud of angling.

It is a sport/pastime I would encourage any children I may have to take up.

Some people here feel happy live-baiting. Others feel a touch of unease but feel it is legitimate. Others may feel uncomfortable with it.

The majority of the population however, would probably feel it was abhorrent.

I think you're getting to the essence of things here. People fish because it's 'fun' & 'pleasurable'. It dosen't need any more justification than that.

Some people fish with livebaits for the same reason. Live baiting is sometimes the most effective way of catching predatory fish.

I'm uncomfortable leaving control of my hobby to a moral majority, because the general public has always turned a blind eye to the finer apects of the things they support / enjoy, whilst calling for a bans on things done by a minority.

I think you're getting to the essence of things here. People fish because it's 'fun' & 'pleasurable'. It dosen't need any more justification than that.

wasn't that one of the down falls of fox hunting.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Gozzer, all sorts of side issues in your post; how do I know whether a carp (or any of the other fish I fish for) shudders?...I don't, but I don't see it happen. So it is not an issue with me.

How meat is killed...KILLED....before being eaten does not bother me either (assuming normal methods of dispatch, quick and painless as possible.)

Re Otters, all I have said, and will repeat, is that they have no place on a fishery, at least not one where the owner has introduced valuable stock into a lake that has been free of them for years and years Especially in a lake which was dug out long after the last Otter in the area was extinct. I would treat them the same as a farmer treats a fox which raids his chickens.

What I think/feel about other creatures is not relevant to the livebaiting issue...it is all in the words...LIVE and BAITING.

Den

Den,

I'm sure you'll admit there's all kinds of contradictions in your philosophy, I should think similar views are held by a lot of people.

No doubt you can see that you're ignoring, or justifying some fairly major aspects of animal wellfare to suit your lifestyle, whilst basing what you percieve to be cruel on a practice that does not benefit you personally?

wasn't that one of the down falls of fox hunting.

Yes, the only protection fishing has in comparison is it's relative popularity.

The fox hunting ban hasn't protected any foxes or saved them from meeting 'nasty' deaths. It's just stopped an odd looking sport done by a minority.

The fox hunting ban hasn't protected any foxes or saved them from meeting 'nasty' deaths. It's just stopped an odd looking sport done by a minority.

Thats true, more a case of camo being the new red.

And i don't think banning live baiting would stop live baiting as its unenforceable.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep