Live-baiting is cruel and barbaric

tiddlertamer

The vast majority of 'point misses' on these sorts of topic are more a matter of 'ignore what does not suit my argument' rather than the bog standard sort of missing the point.

That is very true everywhere. Be glad you dont have to listen to people whin about hooking fish that dont bit.

Ditch

Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

live baiting:

catch a roach - attatch to pike rig - pike may eat - roach dead!

roach in river - pike eats - roach dead!

go to a shop and buy dead bait roach which was bred to be killed or was caught and then killed and bagged up to be use again in the river, but just dead

so out of all the above examples the bait will get eaten and/or die

so i dont see the problem with live baiting as all living things will die, but just some quicker then others!

The vast majority of 'point misses' on these sorts of topic are more a matter of 'ignore what does not suit my argument' rather than the bog standard sort of missing the point.

Well why not contribute some words of wisdom on the subject instead of criticising posters that have taken the time to add to what has been a well mannered debate,

Surely that is what is preferred especially from a mods point of view I would have thought. some very good points have been raised and I would certainly admit to having changed my opinion on certain aspects of what I thought was correct, as I assume others will. Surely that should be encouraged not sneered at.

Well why not contribute some words of wisdom on the subject instead of criticising posters that have taken the time to add to what has been a well mannered debate,

Surely that is what is preferred especially from a mods point of view I would have thought. some very good points have been raised and I would certainly admit to having changed my opinion on certain aspects of what I thought was correct, as I assume others will. Surely that should be encouraged not sneered at.

Maybe it would be nice, (polite even), if the originator of the thread added some more of his thoughts on the subject.

I was looking in last night, and noticed he logged on and was reading the thread. I waited for some input, but it didn't appear. Maybe he thought the pot was simmering enough without him. :rolleyes:

I still have my doubts as to his reasons for posting this thread.

Come on TT, has the experiences of many lifelong anglers made you rethink the 'facts' you posted?

Or would that not suit your agenda? :rolleyes:

Maybe I should start another thread about the Live baiting of forum members. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Jeez a tad patronising BB,

Sorry Rabbit it was'n't indended, I get a bit carried away sometimes.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Sorry Rabbit it was'n't indended, I get a bit carried away sometimes.

No probs;BB like I said you did raise some good points that got me thinking :mellow: .

If I might make an observation at this point....

Some years ago when I kept marine fish, one morning whilst feeding them I noticed that food eaten by one of my butterfly fishes was dropping out from somewhere. It was only when it turned round that I saw that a large chunk of its side had gone completely along with much of its internal organs - I strongly suspect that it got cornered during the night by the hermit crab I kept in the tank which then feasted on it.

It was however swimming about completely oblivious to its injuries, and feeding well - not something a creature in pain would do, and I think you will agree that the injuries would have been agony for any animal capable of feeling pain.

PS because of the extreme injuries to the fish it had to be PTS, it would have just starved to death otherwise :(

WHAT !! Could have made a perfectly good semi live bait

Sorry... :P

As I said earlier I don't livebait anymore but you never know circumstances may arise and I may do again. I think it's up to the individual person if they wish to use that method or not.

I can't prove if fish feel pain or not but at this time I'd rather not stick hooks through their flesh and leave them struggling for long periods of time just in case they can. I was watching Jack Hargreeves Out of Town series the other day and there was some old clips of him livebaiting. On the voice over he said he could no longer bring himself to fish this method

I probably like many others have visited this post on numerous occassions and whilst there has been many constructive as well as destructive comments on both sides of the fence, the comment made in the most recent post from tigger "I don't livebait anymore but you never know circumstances may arise and I may do again. I think it's up to the individual person if they wish to use that method or not." sums it up for me.

Do fish feel pain?

The world's foremost expert on the subject is Dr. James D. Rose of the University of Wyoming. He's spent 30 years working on questions of neurology, examining data on the responses of animals to painful stimuli. In 2003 Rose published a landmark study in the journal Reviews of Fisheries Science, concluding that animals need specific regions of the cerebral cortex in order to feel pain. And fish do not have them.

http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/Zoology/faculty/...0Fish%20Sci.pdf

It's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG read though

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci