Ugly Boat Reel

Elton

I've just picked up a second hand Ugly Boat Reel.

The clutch on it doesn't seem to tighten up very tight. I've soaked it in warm soapy water to see if it was over-greased, but it's made no real difference. There's no line on the reel at the moment and when I turn the handle, I can stop the spool fairly easily with not a great deal of pressure.

Is there any way to easily fix this?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've just picked up a second hand Ugly Boat Reel.

The clutch on it doesn't seem to tighten up very tight. I've soaked it in warm soapy water to see if it was over-greased, but it's made no real difference. There's no line on the reel at the moment and when I turn the handle, I can stop the spool fairly easily with not a great deal of pressure.

Is there any way to easily fix this?

Might be a stripped drive Elton I hope not Strip it down mate its the only way to be sure.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Might be a stripped drive Elton I hope not Strip it down mate its the only way to be sure.

:clap2: If it's just the clutch washers they're readily available from Shakespeare but it may be that someone's stripped the reel and re-assembled it incorrectly. If it's more serious the parts should also be readily available, usually by return of post and sometimes FOC. Probably not in the case of a second hand reel that may be many years old though. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

probably the clutch as been left on tight ,all clutches should be slackened off after use otherwise the washers get compressed

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Elton,

This fault is usually caused by leaving the drag adjusted up tight whilst the reel is not in use.

In the outermost part of the clutch assembly - usually just under the star wheel, there should be a a dished or curved, spring steel washer, if of the curved type you can usually bend them back with your fingers to restore the clutch pressure.

If of the dished type you may be able to re-tension it by supporting the out edge of the washer with a bit of sturdy tubing on one side, & a suitable sized steel ball on the other side. Use a pair of Mole grips or a small bench vice to restore the curvature.

I have one of these Ugly Boat reels but have never stripped it down (never used it either!) so let me know if you have problems & I'll take a look at the drag on mine.

I've just been trying to find a schematic for this reel (number on mine is 2916-301) but no luck - maybe an email to whoever owns Shakespeare these days might be in order..............................

Good Luck

Barry

Barry

Cheers, guys. I'll take the side off later and photograph it if I get stuck :)

The reel looks fairly untouched, so I reckon it's just been left with the drag done up.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

:clap2: You didn't know so many "knowledgable" people visited this site. :clap2:

They don't :D

Thanks, Jabee. That's very kind. I'll give it a go first - years since I've taken a multiplier apart.