RSPB Highlight Sandeel Slaughter

Ken Davison South Wales

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the RSPB have `clout`, because birds are warm and fluffy? All those nature programmes on Sunday evenings, with all those gorgeous little chicks waiting to be fed. Makes most of the British public go gooey eyed?

I`m willing to bet. If a referendum was held tomorrow. The great British public would rather do without fish than birds?

Yet, these very folk are the first to complain about bird droppings on their precious cars? The nuisance of pigeons, the noise that a colony of crows make, a cockeral crowing at sunrise, not to forget all those dreadfull gulls at the sea-side!! Oh! And those nasty falcons killing next doors, that kill their neighbours homing pigeons ( the same ones that made a small deposit on their prized motor :D:D ).

Did you hear about the elderly couple, that complained to the fishmonger in a supermarket, about the price of `Fresh?` fish. When told about the economics of fishing, the lady was heard to reply. "I guess we`ll have to stick to fish-fingers then."

Am I the only one that finds it strange. Shortly after every EU fisheries ministers summit, we seem to have a new boss at DEFRA !!!

Elliot Morely promised me in writing that he would not allow the depletion of our cod stocks to go unchallenged! He was then replaced by Ben Bradshaw who promised the same. Well, we`ve all seen how long he`s kept his word. Maybe we`ll see another head of DEFRA, before the coming general election. Without a shadow of a doubt, that person will promise the same?

I notice that some have asked `what`s the answer`?

Simple. A good old fashioned kick in the ballot box!

Labour only feel free to renage on promises because of their parliamentary majority. They can afford to offend the odd 3 million anglers in this country.

If they were in danger of losing control of us `plebs`, then maybe they would have to actually listen to us? Or maybe that`s a tad too simple.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Spasor, I've actually been quite impressed with Labour over fisheries compared with what has gone before. Not that what went before was up too much.

Defra seems a lot more switched on than the old DAFS/MAFF madness. Ok they still get it wrong but they are headed in the right direction IMHO. Did the term RSA exist under the tories? , did guys like Leon get to make their views known at high level meetings?

Also impressed with Scottish devolution so far - we may actually end up with local control over what happens in our inshore waters and it won't be dominated by commercial fisheries everywhere. They actually ask for opinions and advice from stakeholders!

The fisheries management is still not anywhere near what it should be but at least thats understood now: both the genetics problems and the limitations of TAC's are now accepted and at least they are looking for solutions.

It may not be possible to save the cod in our waters , its certainly impossible for a minister to claim he can. They are politicians though..

Well impressed with the DEFRA report on the State of our Seas thats just been released - do you remember a lot of such wide ranging reports in Tory times?

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Sorry Jaffa.

Over-fishing was only becoming an issue when Labour came to power?

Remember what happened when Labour commisioned its` first scientific study re:the state of our fisheries? We ignored the scientists views ( he promptly resigned ), then did some horse trading over quotas!

Can you remember any scientific study, from anywhere on earth, that didn`t recomend a massive cutback?

Before the issue goes before the EU. All us sea anglers are promised that the government will stand strong on the issue of overfishing. The day after the meeting takes place? What do we see in the papers?

OUR FISHERIES MINISTER HAS SAVED QUOTAS FOR THE BRITISH FLEET!!

Yes. Government studies, are in-depth and very meaningful. But when it comes to the crunch, none of the recomendations are ever put in place!

Us anglers only get small support. Ask leon. one day we`re praising the government for a small concession, and think we`re getting somewhere. The next day we get slapped in the face?

Ban inshore netting? Might be on the cards... except for fisher folk that have done it for generations. Ban gill nets.... We`ll do it tomorrow... then the gill netters will use nets, just outside the regulations and be in the clear.

The only clear victory I can think of is? The implementation of bass nursey areas!

Then again. The Skerries off Dartmouth, has been a nursery area for plaice for years? It hasn`t stopped `blacked out` trawlers from the next port up the road raping the area, when they`re short of a few bob?

Jaffa. I`m not inviting anyone to vote for a political party. Tory or other.

But I think, any government with a large majority loses sight of what they were elected for?

Much better, I think. That politicians worry about their pledges.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Jaffa:

Also impressed with Scottish devolution so far - we may actually end up with local control over what happens in our inshore waters and it won't be dominated by commercial fisheries everywhere.

Perhaps the Scots can stop running England then.

How many more Scots MPs, ministers and TV presenters do we need to run England?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

Jim Roper:

Also impressed with Scottish devolution so far - we may actually end up with local control over what happens in our inshore waters and it won't be dominated by commercial fisheries everywhere.

Perhaps the Scots can stop running England then.

How many more Scots MPs, ministers and TV presenters do we need to run England?

I don't know Jim, how many more do you need ? :D

Perhaps we will get marine reserves up and running, real planning controls over inshore waters then you guys can follow.

Thanks for the link Colin, never realisied how serious the cormorant problem was :( Interesting to see the RSPB tying themselves in knots.

Paul, I take your points, but whatever the goverment the reality is they have to go to Europe and fight for our fishing industries share of the quotas. I don't like the system but the tories took us into the EU into the first place and traded off real control of our waters.

FWIW Im no labour supporter (no party that lies to get us into war and wants to introduce ID cards is enough for me) but compared with what was happening before I still think the changes in DEFRA and devolution leave some room for hope.

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net