• Sea
    • General coarse
    • Carp
    • Preds (pike, perch, etc.)
    • Match
    • Other

Newt,

Great fun!

You'll never be able to cover every aspect. Each "voter" can qualify/quantify there choices. I hope the "newbies" are not simply intimidated by the rest of us. I'd like to think we are a "loving" group. They really shouldn't be.

I'm 75. I have "fished" (in various forms) for a long time. I didn't start "angling" until probably in my 20's. Fishing to put food on the table was serious, no holds barred, chit - and - not real complicated like angling. As I've said before, and most know, I had no choice but to commercially "rough" fish for 2&1/2 yrs on my two uncles boats. The customer was/is Purina (catfood) in St. Louis MO.

So - - I was exposed to gathering fish to survive 62 -3 yrs ago. Angling for sport - - - maybe 45 years ago. Like you have no real idea when I first "kid fished".

My favorite angling is carp (now) and my least favorite is sea (I get sea sick very easily).

I do not kill and eat what I catch unless someone else does all the dirty work, including cooking. That's called C&R.

Phone

Edit: ohh, I do remember my first "real" fishing rod was about 4ft long, had maybe 3 eyes, and was square (spring?) steel. I could be wrong but I think the reel was J.C Higgins. No idea about the rod, maybe Sears also. Bought them myself with my own Xmas money. Better not touch it either!!!

Edited by Phone

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first rod was a split cane fly rod - light duty jobby used mostly for sunfish and really exciting when a larger fish decided to have a go at my rig. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

27yo, first fishing trip when I was about 4. 23 years??? Bloody hell!

First out on my own (for you particular gits out there) about 7-8yo down the local beck after Minnows and Gudgeon.

Mainly Preds atm (lures only) but it changes over the years.

Would like to try fly fishing at some point in my life, but I've a few other techniques I want to master first. All in good time.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue