fishfiders from the shore

tack4

cheap hand held ones on ebay. :):) Are these any use or is it like cheating? :mad: :mad:

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

I honestly can't see the point of them myself, not for beach fishing anyway, would work from a pier I suppose, but at the end of the day the fish are either there or not. Fish finders should stay on boats I think. I bet the carp anglers would use them, along with their bait-boats, bite alarms etc, now that is cheating.

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Carp anglers even put the fish in the pond as well.

I have a fish finder that looks sideways as well, in theory that could be of use from shore. However it won't tell you much you don't know already, and often misses fish you know are there. You can end up with too many gadgets, nothing will induce a fish to feed unless your bait is what it wants to eat, and it can find it - ie in the right place. I was waiting to leave our marina on Sunday, and I was watching a number of nice bass (deffo. not mullet before someone says) of up to about 4lb milling about waiting for the gate to open. There was baitfish they could easiliy have scoffed leaping about out of the way but they were just not interested in feeding, they were more interested in travelling. You could have seen them on a fishfinder but you couldn't have caught them without a net....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

agreed.......

many times on the boat people ask me (after the lack of bites) "any fish on the sounder?" "yes they are there!" I say.......... "but no good being on the sounder, you need to think about the fish on the hook which is none!"

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

The reverse is just as common - not a peep from the sounder and you are catching fish right under the boat. :( Maybe a new fishfinder should be on my Xmas list...

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I think fish finders are quite helpful and save a lot of wasted time if they are used to find places and features fish are likely to want to feed or lurk around, rather than actual fish themselves. :mad:

For instance you could fish all day over a plain sea bed and not catch a thing, but if you had fished fifty yards to the right you might have found a gully where fish were patroling. :D

Without local knowledge you don't have much chance.

About the fish finder, if its the smart cast one you are talking about I read a review that said they cannot recieve the signal if the sounder is any more than 100 feet away.

[ 15. November 2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Geoff_Jubb ]

cheers guys

beef up my local knowledge then

Dear Santa,

I have been very good and only taken home fish I intended to eat and always cleared my rubbish away.

Could you please bestow the divine wisdom to know how, where and when............. :D:D:D

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics