A great days perching

Jigotai

Yesterday I finally got the chance to take up Anderoo's offer to go perch fishing on one of his local streams.

We also had the honour of Richard Cappers company, who, after reading so much about his wingham haul and perching exploits on the Thames, I was looking forward to meeting.

The day started out looking good being overcast and dry, but that soon changed when the sun came out, making it far from ideal for perching.

Anderoo gave us a quick tour and pointed out some likely swims, and as it was my first time on the stream, gave me first choice of swim. There were plenty of good looking swims but I finally chose a swim that sat in a slack, just behind a bush overhanging into the water.

I initially started to fish using a ledger on my quiver close up to the bush, but the only interest my bait was getting was from crayfish. I changed over to float but still found it hard going, even after scaling down and fishing with maggots only managed a small roach by about 3.30pm.

With the bright conditions we were having and lack of action we were looking forward to dusk and the hope that our quarry would finally decide to feed.

My first bite on lob worms came just before dusk and after striking was left with half a worm. This happened a few more times before I finally connected, only to wind in a pike that couldn't of been more than 1/2lb.

I still felt confident with that spot and felt the pike had been attracted by the chopped worm I had put in earlier. With that I chopped up some more worm and dropped it in around my float hoping the perch would follow. About half an hour later with the light fading, I was putting some of my gear away when I noticed the end of my rod nodding. At first I thought I had knocked it, but when I looked at float, it was just resurfacing. Another missed bite. I re baited and cast back to the same spot and put in some more chopped worms and almost immediately got another bite. This time I was on it like shot and connected with what felt a nice fish. After a short battle I netted a lovely looking perch of 1lb 12 oz.

Not the biggest of perch but as my perching lately hasn't been too successful it was very welcome.

At last! they were in the mood, so with my bait back in, my confidence was on a high. I was not disappointed when, about 15 mins later my float slid away. I connected with the fish and straight away it felt heavier than the last fish. As I lifted the net out of the water I could see that it was larger than the last fish with a nice fat belly.

My previous best was 2 1/4lb so I was keen to see if this one had beaten that. We weighed the fish,

and at 2lb 8 oz I had a new pb.

Thanks Anderoo for a great day, with good company and a new pb. Perhaps later in the year I can help you get a new Barbel pb with a return visit to the Lea.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're very welcome, I'm so pleased you got the one you were after! Plus relieved of course, I would have been very disappointed if you'd come all that way for a blank :rolleyes:

And what a perch it was too - the same length as the 1lb 12oz but what a belly it had! Full of crayfish no doubt. Maybe you'll put the photo up? It was in mint condition, a really good looking fish, as was the smaller one.

It was a great day's fishing - and that biggie turned up just in the nick of time! And a PB to boot, great stuff :)

Richard, thanks for the steady supply of tea from the old faithful Kelly Kettle!

(BTW I've fished there 3 times this season and haven't caught a single perch yet :lol: )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You're very welcome, I'm so pleased you got the one you were after! Plus relieved of course, I would have been very disappointed if you'd come all that way for a blank :rolleyes:

And what a perch it was too - the same length as the 1lb 12oz but what a belly it had! Full of crayfish no doubt. Maybe you'll put the photo up? It was in mint condition, a really good looking fish, as was the smaller one.

It was a great day's fishing - and that biggie turned up just in the nick of time! And a PB to boot, great stuff :)

Richard, thanks for the steady supply of tea from the old faithful Kelly Kettle!

(BTW I've fished there 3 times this season and haven't caught a single perch yet :lol: )

Here you go Andrew

P1290015.jpg

Well done Jigotai that is a cracking perch ! ,It is often hard to keep concentration after a hard day even when you know dusk is the best chance.

Anderoo well done mate didnt know you were a angling guide lol,Seriously though if everyone takes a bit of time to help others catch a goal everyone wins .

Kelly kettle great bit of kit always gets strange looks from anyone passing by though,But you cant beat a fresh cuppa when the fishing is hard.

A big well done to all three of ya steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: