Taking photos in bad weather conditions

Snatcher

Anyone got any tales for this thread ?? What sparked this question was that as you all know the new monthly comp starts at midnight.

As it happens I am on nightshift tonight and was thinking of driving straight to a photoshoot from work. The forcast is gale force winds a snow for us in the morning. If it is too bad will not attemt it !!!

What is the worst you have been out in then and any tips for keeping the camera safe ??

Right off to work,catch ya all later team :thumbs::camera:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Good post and will keep an eye on this one for some tips as living near the cost we get quite a strong wind at certain times of the year and today was a no go for a tripod down there as would of probably got blown over....lol and dont think i could of stood up straight to get a good shot either but i suppose there is always a spot out of the wind....behind trees beach huts or any fixed object you can escape the wind i suppose....i have trouble with the grey days and getting the setting on my camera quite right so been focusing on taking different shots indoors whilst the weather has been dull.

Good luck with you shoot in the morning mate and i'll look forward to the replies to this thread!!

Sorry i could be no help

Ollie

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

I'm too paranoid to take my gear out when it's blowing a gale...

There are some good opportunities, especially on the coast, but get a soaking from a rogue wave - you'll dry out quick enough, but it's about the worst thing you could do for your camera.

Have you thought about taking shots from inside your car, with open window? Plenty of support in a motor to steady things up. If you were nifty enough, you could get a tripod set up. LOL. Don't know what you'd say to the old plod if they turned up asking questions. :)

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Quite a few old tips on this one ...

If you are hand-holding your camera ALWAYS use a wrist strap. If you haven't got one .. make one !! You will wish that you had listened after you drop your kit into the water, or on to the concrete !!

You can get "waterproofing" kits for your camera .. but a lot of Pros just cut a hole in a plastic bag big enough for the lens to stick through, and operate the camera from outside the bag.

When not using the camera put it back in its case, or shove it inside your coat. Cameras and water don't mix !

Get in the "lee" of the wind and rain ... behind walls, rocks, anything !!

Stay away from "drops" .. standing on top of a wall in a howling gale is just silly !

Keep an eye open for rain spots on your front lens ... very easy to miss in the excitement !

Hang your camera bag under your tripod using a "bungee" or something similar. The weight of the bag makes the tripod more solid on the ground, and less likely to be blown over.

Most people, including you, walk with their heads down during bad weather, or they are peering out from underneath an umbrella. Is that guy coming towards you going to kick your tripod over, or wipe the camera from your hands ?

Don't take risks for the sake of "that shot". Always make sure you are safe and solid. Camera bills plus medical bills really add up !!

Grey days and squally conditions call for higher ASAs and faster shutter speeds in order to "freeze" the action, unless you are going for the "blurry" shot.

Keep the tips coming guys and gals ... :thumbs:

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Well I arrived there at 7am this morning after nightshift and had the whole place to myself apart from a couple of dog walkers.It was really blowing a hoolie and there is no way I could have used the tripod,even weighted down it was shaking badly. :blink:

So hand held it had to be. In fact it was that bad it was really difficult not to "blur" every shot. It was the first time I had taken any photos from this spot and I could see it had lots of potential - but not today !!!

Anway here is the best of a bad bunch. These park benches really hold a lot of potential for good shots and I will be returning on a better day.

Haven2.jpg

Haven1.jpg

With an SLR with a grad filter could have done much better! shortly I hope :thumbs:

These next ones needed a grad filter as well as the sky was burnt out. Got some half decent coulours though.

Haven5.jpg

Haven4.jpg

Haven3.jpg

The whole area reeks of "potential good shots" so as Arnie said " I'll be back " Was really glad to get back into the car as my fingers were stinging with the cold. Well it is a learning curve and I am nearly onto that botom rung of the ladder now. All suggestions gladly taken on board team :thumbs:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Someone mention bad weather?

I think it follows me around :schmoll:

one good tip for camera protection, is using a sleeve from a old waterproof coat , even better if it has an elasticated cuff attach the cuff around the lense and work from inside the shoulder hole

rain.jpg

Someone mention bad weather?

I think it follows me around :schmoll:

one good tip for camera protection, is using a sleeve from a old waterproof coat , even better if it has an elasticated cuff attach the cuff around the lense and work from inside the shoulder hole

rain.jpg

Thanks for the tip Andy :thumbs: Hang around the craic is good. especially if you are fairly new to the game like me. So much to learn :blink:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Safety is of course the most important issue here. However if it's safe to go out you may get photos that few others do.

For instance, the morning after the great storm of 1987 I was due to deliver my fishing column for the local paper. When I did so the offices were almost deserted and as a result I was asked to cover a particular story and then drive round as best I could taking pictures.

I'm pleased to say, although I'm a very poor photographer, many of my pics (including a story) were printed in the paper the following week.

Just goes to show that being in the right place at the right time can really pay off. Mind you, I didn't get paid a penny!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net