Blooming heck – I've accidentally hooked a monster trout

tiddlertamer

What species are you targetting?

Send me a PM - ;)

C.

Can't seem to PM for some reason, I've tried the help facility but I'm still at a loss as to why. As regards species I wouldn't be targetting anything in particular, I fish mostly lakes but with the Thames & Kennet so close now its seems daft not to try river fishing.

In my ignorance I would probably turn up and trot a nice looking stretch with maggots, don't really have a plan B

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't seem to PM for some reason,

I think you've got to get to 15 post to PM, sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Well i might have to bow to your 40+years of fishing but i do have 30+years of allround freshwater fishing and with the exception of Bewl Ive not fished any of the water you mention as the south of England has never been high on my list of places to fish. But having fished most corners of the British Isles for game fish i can honestly say i have never seen a coarse fish deliberately killed by a game angler.

When it comes to killing coarse fish deliberately i would be very surprised if pike anglers weren't the worst offenders. Having spent a lot of time on waters where game and pike fishing are the main targets i would also put pike anglers up there in being the dirtiest in leaving rubbish behind and having very little respect for thier surrounds but i can only go off what i see in the places i fish.

If you want to look at the lack of respect shown to coarse fish from my experience you would be better off looking at some of carp lakes up and down the country where fish like bream are seen pesty vermin and swim round with half their faces missing having been very poorly unhooked and handled.

Yes there are some right prats with old fashioned views in the game fishing world but not as many as there is in coarse & pike fishing but that's just my opinion. :D

I agree to some extent when it comes to anglers leaving rubbish etc....I come across loads of empty lure packets/traces etc when I'm fishing stretches of the Avon but personally I wouldn't consider the types who do that serious pike fisherman at all

Lots of mistreatment of pike/coarse fish on trout waters in the past but not sure how much goes on now. I think a lot of the management of these places have become more aware of the money involved in pike fishing and are starting to run them with a bit more respest for the coarse fish.

Lovely trout though....always a bonus catching something unexpected. I was chuffed when I managed to catch an 8lb brownie on a mackerel tailwhen I was at Chew in October....fish went back safe as it states in the rules they have to when piking :)

I'm a Londoner so its great to escape the city to a beautiful spot in the Berkshire countryside.

Fished somewhere more local today - the river Lea north of London. From the sublime to the ridiculous some might say though I have a soft spot for this lovely river.

I only caught one fish but it was of the coarse variety. That was the good news. Check the photograph (new reel, same rod) to see the monster...

Apologies for getting in the way of the the multiplicity of debates this thread has caused (all very interesting I hasten to add) but I do have a simple question for you all. Nothing sadly to do with the monster rainbow trout. (At least five pounds by the way!)

What kind of coarse fish was it that I caught the week after my success with the rainbow trout.

The smallest dace known to fisher folk or is it in fact a bleak?

Perchance I have managed to catch a species I haven't caught before - the bleak - (always look on the bright side of life!) or have I simply developed the unfortunate knack of attracting the smallest fish of the shoal onto my hook. Ho hum...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Apologies for getting in the way of the the multiplicity of debates this thread has caused (all very interesting I hasten to add) but I do have a simple question for you all. Nothing sadly to do with the monster rainbow trout. (At least five pounds by the way!)

What kind of coarse fish was it that I caught the week after my success with the rainbow trout.

The smallest dace known to fisher folk or is it in fact a bleak?

Perchance I have managed to catch a species I haven't caught before - the bleak - (always look on the bright side of life!) or have I simply developed the unfortunate knack of attracting the smallest fish of the shoal onto my hook. Ho hum...

ooops - here it is...

post-13307-1202947254_thumb.jpg

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I agree with that, I reckon the estimates of 31/2lb to 4lb are a bit light. It's pretty fat and an 8lb Rainbow I caught a few years ago wasn't a great deal longer. I won't ever forget it, my line went solid as if I was snagged so I gradually carried on retrieving expecting to haul up a branch. As soon as the fish surfaced all hell let loose and off it went taking the line back and burning my hand in the process.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back