Which Camera

glennk

Hi Guys,

hopefully a few of you will be able to give me some advice. I am looking for a new camera and am unsure of what to go for. My budget is the top end of a normal digital camera or the bottom end of the slr scale. I have roughly £300 to spend.

I currently have a small 4 mp olympus and to be honest it takes poor quality images. At dusk and dawn the images become very grainy (Technical term there) and anything using the zoom becomes quite blurred.

Someone I know uses a kodak z740 and I am quite impressed by the quality of his photographs.

The main reason I want a new camera is that I build a few websites and I have noticed that quality images really make the end product that bit better. With this in mind what should I be looking for ? Please dont get too technical as I really am not clued up on camera terminology.

Thanks In advance - Glenn

For that money you could get a canon 350d

im a canon user so i say canon but nikon do some good entry level stuff too

if i was starting out again i would look for maybe a nos 20d or maybe second hand?

then you will start wanting some better glass.Thats when the problems start.

At that ill leave the subject before my other half has chance to read anything i type about the cost of glass :P

if it is £300 then stick with a compact cos a DSLR will bleed you dry and i would not touch a second hand 20D, i love mine to bits but at 60,000 shots i do worry how long its got left on this mortal coil.

Something like the Canon S5 IS will put you in to a different league to what you are used to at the minute and it is very reasonable given what it is capable off. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...gr-21/ref=nosim I have a Canon S3 IS and i love it, i even got a kingsfisher with it, something i have yet to do with my DSLR stuff.

if it is £300 then stick with a compact cos a DSLR will bleed you dry and i would not touch a second hand 20D, i love mine to bits but at 60,000 shots i do worry how long its got left on this mortal coil.

Something like the Canon S5 IS will put you in to a different league to what you are used to at the minute and it is very reasonable given what it is capable off. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...gr-21/ref=nosim I have a Canon S3 IS and i love it, i even got a kingsfisher with it, something i have yet to do with my DSLR stuff.

Have to agree with the CANON S5-IS. Here are a few 8-10 mp cameras to compare.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_dig8.html

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I think Nurse Judy is more than happy with her Panasonic FZ 250. Check out her pics.

Panasonic now do a 15x zoom model............... complete package :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den's right I love my panasonic with its x12 optical zoom and 10mega pixies,but this is the new one with x18 optical and the mega bits dropped down to 8 but the price is now half to what i paid last year,sure wish i could swop mine for the new one ...only for the extra zoom

latest here

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Well I will be looking to upgrade my camera shortly when retiring ( 31 working days left) Fancy an SLR but will not spend daft money on one as its only a hobby,not a profession!!!

Looking at forking out £600-500ish. Will also neede advice on lenses to get. Bearing in mind this is a fun thing. Fishing photos and the odd sunrise/sunset/landscape is all I intend to do. All advice appreciated team

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Well I will be looking to upgrade my camera shortly when retiring ( 31 working days left) Fancy an SLR but will not spend daft money on one as its only a hobby,not a profession!!!

Looking at forking out £600-500ish. Will also neede advice on lenses to get. Bearing in mind this is a fun thing. Fishing photos and the odd sunrise/sunset/landscape is all I intend to do. All advice appreciated team

Hi Snatcher, I'm biased to Nikon, however their kit lenses are top notch, always do well in reviews. You will have a job to beat this:

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?Pr...;ProductID=1225

Only IMHO :rolleyes: of course.

SW