Fresh Water Clams?

lopex

ok strange i posted on this yesterday where has my reply gone?

Not been deleted. Are you sure you posted and not just pressed the 'Preview Post' button instead? Easily done....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Swan mussels would not be UK protected would they?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Swan mussels would not be UK protected would they?

I only collected the empty shells anyway. I am guessing that a few salt water mussels (Green lipped) and a spray of the Van Den Eynde - Liquid Green Lipped Mussel in a fishy ground bait should do the job?

Where best to get the mussels and what type to use for hook bait??

Slightly off-topic but if there are loads of mussels in the area be careful with your line. It's like casting onto a bed of scissors! Go heavy, or try to find a clearer patch to present a bait.

Regarding baits, I tried mussels lots of times as a kid, thinking that it must be the best, most natural, bait in these situations, but never even had a bite, from any species. That may be just me, but if there are fish in the area and you're prebaiting with pellets, corn and boilies, that's what I'd use as bait too. Just be careful of your line - it'd be a heartbreaker to hook a decent fish after all that effort just for the line to be immediately sliced :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes they are definately Swan Mussels, we have them in our estate lake but they are getting fewer and fewer each year.

We have used them for Tenching to good effect but because gathering them is not as easy as it used to be since we had our lake de-silted; we havent used them for a few years.

Can be a good tench bait though on the right day.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Where best to get the mussels and what type to use for hook bait??

See http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Leftove...hes-t66493.html. Any decent supermarket will have a vacuum pack of the pre-cooked fresh (not pickled) ones for less than a £1 in the pre-packed fresh sea food section.

Some days the fish go mad for them, other days they're not interested at all, and there's been no middle ground when I've used them. Since the original post I've had a few 1lb'ish perch on them too as well as carp, tench and roach.

Interesting that a non-native that can be very invasive in the right conditions would be protected. Any idea of the reasoning behind it?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Interesting that a non-native that can be very invasive in the right conditions would be protected. Any idea of the reasoning behind it?

The same reason that the Afghan hijackers were given a council house and benefits???

I've always thought that the Swan Mussel was a native to British waters and that the swan mussels filter the water and can help keep the water healthy.

Certainly they can be found in a lot of good waters that hold a healthy stock of quality fish.

Does anyone out there know if this is true?

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)