Cold weekend

Anderoo

Blimey it's cold here, and getting colder over the weekend too. I've had these three days free for fishing for quite some time, so I'll be going anyway, but I'm not sure what the results will be. The main plan is to catch a decent chub from the Thames, but I think that'll be a dusk or bust job, so I think in the daytime I'll do some piking and see if I can tempt an esox or two. There are a couple of spots where a good perch is a possibility, so I'll be taking some lobs too.

One chub in three days would be a result for me - if I do catch one there's a good chance it'll be bigger than my paltry pb :rolleyes:

How about you? Braving it?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yup, its very likely I'll be out after more chub after my recent success (see the mild, clear, high pressure thread for my report). Not sure where to go yet. I can't decide whether to go somewhere that I've fished a lot and know well and would have a good chance of catching or if to try somewhere I haven't been before. Decisions, decisions...

I'll be chasing old Esox too this weekend. Esthwaite on Saturday and roving along the Aire on Sunday.

Paul

My piking will be of the roving/wobbling variety, because I'm not sure where the fish will be and the conditions are ideal for it (cold, clear, high pressure), but also just as importantly it'll keep me warm. I'll bait up likely chub swims as I go and return later to try my luck. I might give cheesepaste a go; I've never really done that well on it but you can't argue with its track record.

My main problem at the moment is deciding which stretch to fish!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I booked tomorrow off because of the improved weather but like you I'm now faced with a potentially cold day (so I won't be getting up early). Was planning to go to Barton Court but I'll see how things are in the morning. Maybe an afternoon trotting the Kennet will keep me warm.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

How about you? Braving it?

Do bears... Is the Pope catholic?

Just had an invite for Sunday which I hope I can say yes too - depends on the boys footy matches so won't know till their training tonight. If I can't then I've got my mind set on a nice chub swim for Saturday. I rather hope the cloud cover stays!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Nothing short of a flood of biblical proportions will stop me going this saturday.Thats the day of my much anticipated trip to the Dorset Stour chasing its fabled monster chub.I dont for one minute expect it to be easy but one bite from the right fish would make my season.Going as the guest of a Ringwood club member,we had actually planned this trip for last March but at the last minute i couldnt make it.But in my absence he still managed a brace of sixes and ten five pounders which he took great delight in telling me on the phone that evening! :lol:

Fishing Sunday from the boat for Pike around the Pangbourne/Streatley area,Meeting a mate who will bring his boat to which means we can cover a lot more water and if one of us finds the fish he can let the other know which should increase our chances[well sounds good in theory].

Probubly resort to throwing lures/wobling deadbaits round the weirpools as the conditions dont look great for snatching livebaits steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Nothing short of a flood of biblical proportions will stop me going this saturday.Thats the day of my much anticipated trip to the Dorset Stour chasing its fabled monster chub.I dont for one minute expect it to be easy but one bite from the right fish would make my season.Going as the guest of a Ringwood club member,we had actually planned this trip for last March but at the last minute i couldnt make it.But in my absence he still managed a brace of sixes and ten five pounders which he took great delight in telling me on the phone that evening! :lol:

I hope you have a great time, Stretpegger! Those chub aren't fabled- they're very very REAL!!! There's no rain in the forecast here in Dorset, so the Stour should be perfect. Please would you post a report on your experience after your trip?

Tight lines!

Mike.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.