This years "big" trip?

Dick Dastardly

Even though I used to be in the Royal Navy; I am not so keen on fishing for game fish from a boat at sea.

I have always wanted to catch a mahseer from a river in India. they look so powerful and it always looks so exciting.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi there the perch, pike, roach and sea trout fishing in denmark is really fantastic

its a great part of scandinavia to go fishing in and 99percent of people talk english

to be honest its one of the best counrties i have ever had the privelege to stay in

theres all type of fishing over here,allthough i havent stayed here that long

so have only really tryed fishing for the jiant winter perch and roach

and the rest im sure will fall into place in the years to come

keep youse informed of progress

tight lines gary

How about hiring a camper van and doing a Matt Hayes/Mick Brown style 'great rod race' , trying to catch as many speies of fish as possible from as many different types of venue as possible ? It could be good fun planning the trip initially as well B)

Central America is currently lighting up the dials on my fishing radar. Atlantic and Pacific coast sea fishing and Peacock bass in the middle.

Just how much better than that does it get ?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Budgie & Andrew,

If you have the inclination, YOU are WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although we are still applying for positions back on your side of the Atlantic, we are going to fish until they pack the gear! Petra and I would LOVE to have you over again!!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

I get the feeling Budgie that you've done pretty much everything! How about that big chub you mentioned before? Not a big trip but a worthy and exciting challenge.

A record minnow?

I think for me, if I had the time and the money, it would be zander fishing in Holland.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well this year as not been a great fishing year for me, various reasons that i will not bother you with, however with the season not yet over by any means my BIG TRIP is to come.

I have a week's holiday booked starting on the 9th of March my BIG TRIPS happen on the Sunday then the Monday and through the week.

Sunday i am really looking forward to. The River Beult below the bridge and i am only going for Barbel a bit of a rarity on this River but not impossible.

The challenge for me will be that i have not landed a Barbel since 1963 which was on the Thames at Wallingford and i can still remember it as if it was yesterday.

Oh and hear comes a link to another tread i am going to use salami. :D

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Some great sugestions so far.The idea of trying for a Burbot (in fact a bit of fishing in Scandanavia full stop) took my fancy but I doubt wether the funds will stretch to that at the moment.Also not so sure if a burbot is "right" for me to target as I know think its pretty much agreed they are extinct in the UK so would they be a valid target species for me? not sure.

Anderoo though has come up with the most obvious one though! Ive got two really big gaps in my fish list one being a 2lb roach and the other a chub over 4 1/2lb. If the chance to fish a water that came up only the other day (see I told you something always comes up!) then despite the limited time I will be able to fish it the expense will mean really tightening the angling "belt" so the roach/chub thing might be a good one.

The only UK freshwater species Ive not caught are either of the Whitefish species(Powan/Vendace).With them both being protected Im not sure if it would even be legal let alone possible?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!