First Carp, now Swans what's next

Huge_Vitae

Don't tell me it's a big soup kitchen, making bouillabaisse for all those immigrants. :rolleyes:

John.

OK I Wont.............. :P

Somebody on here will work it out knowing you lot (chesters) but it's secret at the moment. If I told you I would have to have you killed!!! ;)

Hang on a minute, got afew PM's to write. :yahoo:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a nice thought,our swans being eaten by a nasty forgiener :o But I very much dought that they are all at it,so I wont panic, but non the less the bloke should be nicked word would soon spread,

One of the things that we forget is that there arnt many poeple left in this country that have expierianced true hunger and poverty, and that makes it very easy for us to critisise acts of desparation from others who have or are on the verges of it,

The old saying about don't Knock a man untill you have walked a mile in his shoes springs to mind.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Putting this into perspective, there are to many swans around anyway. For the last couple of months, and set to continue for several more weeks, adult swans are busy driving their offspring (and any other swans) away from their lake/river.

These birds then fly off to find somewhere else, and get beaten up and driven off again. Actually, this goes on all year round.

Swans are not nice birds, they are vicious and will kill any rivals, and even the young of other swans, so a "little thinning out" will probably benefit the rest.

And before the shocked replies start coming in, I am serious.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It seems that the greater issue is not that the swans are being eaten. Indeed, they are fairly common, very edible, and can even be urban pests at times (The same goes for Canada Geese here.). These swans, however, have special, long-standing laws protecting them, and are not counted as "game birds" as Canada Geese here. If people have a problem with the laws, fine, but that doesn't give them license to go and kill birds that are legally protected. There are ways to oppose laws without flat-out breaking them. The other thought is that, if these birds are being kiled in urban areas, the perpetrators are probably (depending on British law, with which I am not familiar) breaking some other law by "hunting" in areas not designated for hunting. Here in lansing, Michigan, I can not legally "harvest" Mallard Ducks in a city park, even though they are a game species and even if I had a waterfowl license, because this is an urban area - no hunting allowed, period. So, nearly any way you look at it, those who killed those swans should meet with some sort of punishment. However, I would hope that the legal system will take into consideration the fact that the birds were eaten, not kiled for no reason and left to rot. This behaviour deserves much stiffer punishment, I believe.

The old saying about don't Knock a man untill you have walked a mile in his shoes springs to mind.
Does it not go on to say "But by then you are a mile away and have his shoes,"
I agree Den but I wonder if this thread is really about swans at all? :nonono:
What's it about then Rabbit?
Just great to hear from HV
And you m8 :D
It seems that the greater issue is not that the swans are being eaten. Indeed, they are fairly common, very edible, and can even be urban pests at times (The same goes for Canada Geese here.). These swans, however, have special, long-standing laws protecting them, and are not counted as "game birds" as Canada Geese here. If people have a problem with the laws, fine, but that doesn't give them license to go and kill birds that are legally protected. There are ways to oppose laws without flat-out breaking them. The other thought is that, if these birds are being kiled in urban areas, the perpetrators are probably (depending on British law, with which I am not familiar) breaking some other law by "hunting" in areas not designated for hunting. Here in lansing, Michigan, I can not legally "harvest" Mallard Ducks in a city park, even though they are a game species and even if I had a waterfowl license, because this is an urban area - no hunting allowed, period. So, nearly any way you look at it, those who killed those swans should meet with some sort of punishment. However, I would hope that the legal system will take into consideration the fact that the birds were eaten, not kiled for no reason and left to rot. This behaviour deserves much stiffer punishment, I believe.
I agree with your points Anna, we allow hunting of ducks etc but you wouldn't want somebody down the boating lake with his twelve bore hunting his supper!

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

"Does it not go on to say "But by then you are a mile away and have his shoes,"

gooood :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Putting this into perspective, there are to many swans around anyway. For the last couple of months, and set to continue for several more weeks, adult swans are busy driving their offspring (and any other swans) away from their lake/river.

These birds then fly off to find somewhere else, and get beaten up and driven off again. Actually, this goes on all year round.

Swans are not nice birds, they are vicious and will kill any rivals, and even the young of other swans, so a "little thinning out" will probably benefit the rest.

And before the shocked replies start coming in, I am serious.

Den

And the fact STILL remains that they 'belong' to The Sovereign and as such are protected........

Some would say that there are too many Chelsea Pensioners and War Pensioners around. Should we shoot them and eat them as well?

Be careful of drawing a line in the sand, somebody will move it for you. :huh:

or kick it in your face ,agree though thats theres far to many of the things and it isnt just other swans they attack but anything getting near their nest ,seen one drown a duck before and many times scatter innocent young birds to the far corners of the ponds ,they are nasty vindictive beasts but quickly loose their balls once you hold the head ,a typical bully picking on smaller critters ,mind you i'v seen coots scare the crap out of them ,obviasly theres so many the top genes are well mixed with fraidy cats :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson