rowing boats

barrowlad

Its quite a coincidence because I was looking at a small dinghy for the gravel pits around here. Ive been looking at the sniper and the BIC 252 as well.

I am not sure how one of these will look on the roof of my Citroen C1!

Whats the legal stuff about using these boats on lakes and rivers...anyone know?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the same as canoeing and certainly most places would require a licence (the canals etc) our club forbids boats i expect most do

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

come on i'v been up and down the solent in one their safe when used with sense ,an outboard though is sense but rowable in all but hard wind ,you can get in trouble with big boats just as easy :D

we had a perfectly flat bottomed one 50% longer and it was a pig in a breeze ,at least there are some small "hulls" on the other one to stop you going sideways.

a kyak makes sense but you mentioned stable and passengers and boat and car roof :D

weve been out in kids inflatables as well just to prove a dingy is safe :D

I like to post only on subjects on which I'm qualified to do so. Having boat fished for over 25 years, including on similar waters and on from a model of boat Barrowlad specifically mentioned I reckon that counts as being qualified.

So I stand by my post, Dave.

Granted, many have got away with small boats on such waters, but that doesn't make them suitable. In fact, I was going to put "totally unsuitable" in bold!

Sorry to be so blunt, Dave, but this is a safety issue. Having nearly lost a friend in a boat fishing accident I have strong views on the subject. I also know a lot of other boat anglers who share these views.

BTW, Newt, I have no experience of kayaks whatsoever so my comments don't apply to your suggestion.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks for the swift replies fellas some good info,the thing i dont understand is that boats such as the bic 252 have got a eu saftey rating of D and the bunf that appers on its web site implies that it can also be used at sea? also ive looked in to kayaks and had a go on me mates kayak a prowler 13 i think and it was great fun but im affraid i like to kep dry and belive me anyone that tells you that a kayaks a dry ride is fooling themsels good fun yes and suprisingly stabel but warm and dry no,Steve what sort of boat would u recomend plese would u go for a cathedreal dory type hull or a rounder shape gpr clinker type? from what i can gather a dory type are more stabel as a fishing platform and what would be the minimum lenght?does any one use a pram style rowing dinghy?sorry for the ammount of questions so far guys but this is the only web site that ive had any replies on so far ,again thanks.Rob.

Rob - if it weren't for new folks with questions, this forum would not be much fun.

Ask away.

I won't be able to offer any direct help since my boat would likely not be allowed on UK inland waters and is a bit heavy for cartopping.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

im thinking along the lines of something like a 10ft sniper dory or a 8 to 10ft pram dinghy hopefully car topable as i dont fancy going to the expence of a trailer ,question is are they suitble for large lakes like coniston derwentwater or bassenthwaite ?

In a word, no.

Steve Burke is talking sense and safety should be the priority.

You'd be okay on Grasmere in such a small boat, but on the others I really wouldn't risk it as conditions can change from flat calm to rough in minutes.

There have been times when I have been unable to make any progress into the wind when rowing the fifteen footers on Esthwaite. I wouldn't consider anything under twelve feet for the bigger lakes except close to the shore on a calm day.

Dave

dlstsig.png

As Dave says.

I have a tackle box lying in about 95 feet of water from taking out a 17' boat on a largish lake on a rough day and not having my gear properly lashed down.

I now (after that day) own an 18' with much higher sides and a much broader beam.

My local lakes are a bit larger than yours but some that you mentioned are certainly large enough to get really rough, really quickly.

Not so frighten you but you absolutely need enough boat to safely handle the waters you are fishing. If you have that then boat fishing is great fun and I highly recommend it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

To give you some idea, this is my son and his pals on our boat on Derwentwater. It's a 13 footer with a cuddy. We but it on the other lakes too, including the other you mentioned, Bassenthwaite. Your little boat would be ok on a calm summer day, we uded to cross the lakes on homemade rafts as kids. But as has been pointed out conditions can change quickly. I was out on Bass a week ago today and we had the 'all four seasons in one day thing'. I have been thinking of getting a little boat because I can't launch and recover ours easily when alone. But I would only use it in summer, as you dont want to go into cold winter water. Always wear a life jacket.

derwentwater.jpg

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

thanks for that emma realy gives you a good idea of how bad conditions can get,as for my own safty ide hope not to be going out on days like that but as you say conditions change quickly ,and as for safty gear im quite well equipet with loads of gear left over from my jet ski days ie wet suit ,waterproof vhf radio,lbouency jacket,and some inshore flares,whistle compass ect ect.you say that your thinking of a smaller boat for summer Emma any ideas what type size hull shape ect? thanks Rob.