110lb Catfish

Chris Plumb

Plucked this news story from another site.

Article completely ignores the fact that the BRFC won't accept any new claims for a record. Big cat in a new water do I smell a rat?

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Plucked this news story from another site.

Article completely ignores the fact that the BRFC won't accept any new claims for a record. Big cat in a new water do I smell a rat?

C.

You're not the only one!

Also, £35 a day! Compare that to the amazing fishing I can get for less than that for a local club book or two, I can't understand why anyone would buy day tickets.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You're not the only one!

Also, £35 a day! Compare that to the amazing fishing I can get for less than that for a local club book or two, I can't understand why anyone would buy day tickets.

Expensive it is. But that won't stop the glory hunting wallies who will no doubt get down there and pay the £35 for their shot at stardom!

Whether expensive or not, and whatever the sucspicions over how (or when) the 110lb moggy got in there, it's still a great PB for the bloke that caught it and he's caught the fish of a lifetime that most of the rest of us can only dream of. Not bad on 20lb line either. (the test curve on the rod would have helped tho!)

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Sounds like the lake i mentioned in a thread a few months back re Sturgeon.

If my memory serves me correctly three 60lb plus sturgeon came out on the same day to the same angler!

Although this sort of fishing is at the opposite ends of the spectrum to what occupies my time I'll have to say before everyone wades in, that the chap who caught the catfish seems to be a pretty genuine decent fella. He's a regular poster on the World Sea Fishing Forum East Coast section, I've exchanged the odd post with him and he's a pretty straight up regular guy.

It's a horses for courses type thing. I personally would find it very strange hauling a Sturgeon out of a lake near Thetford or indeed a extremley large Catfish and it's not something I would entertain doing, but the guys seems to have done it for the experience alone and has shown no interest in claiming records or the like.

I think the press that the capture has got comes mainly from the ambitious fishery owner who apparently came good on his promise of £100 for a 100lb Cat.

Also apparently the stockings of these fish are all above board and are EA certified.

I reckon go easy on hauling him over the coals..

Although this sort of fishing is at the opposite ends of the spectrum to what occupies my time I'll have to say before everyone wades in, that the chap who caught the catfish seems to be a pretty genuine decent fella. He's a regular poster on the World Sea Fishing Forum East Coast section, I've exchanged the odd post with him and he's a pretty straight up regular guy.

It's a horses for courses type thing. I personally would find it very strange hauling a Sturgeon out of a lake near Thetford or indeed a extremley large Catfish and it's not something I would entertain doing, but the guys seems to have done it for the experience alone and has shown no interest in claiming records or the like.

I think the press that the capture has got comes mainly from the ambitious fishery owner who apparently came good on his promise of £100 for a 100lb Cat.

Also apparently the stockings of these fish are all above board and are EA certified.

The cats maybe certified but i believe the EA wanted the sturgeon out and destyoyed.Mind you thats what i read in AM and given the "snakehead" debacle what is the truth?

I'm with you on this one Dant, I was agreeing with Chris re the origin/history of the fish. Catfish (a decent one) is one of the fish on my list for next year... I hope I don't have to pay £35 to wet a line though :o

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I shouldn't think there's any likelyhood at all that the fish is a bonafide British fish but if everythings been done above board then I reckon live and let live.

Mind you, I'll have to say if someone took over a lovely little lake near me and filled it full of imported sturgeon and catfish I might start hollering from the tree tops.

Streetpegger, you/they might be right re: the sturgeon I don't really know any details about the fishery. I was just trying to lend a little ballast to the chap that caught the thing.

Anderoo I've whizzed you a PM about a potential exciting Catfish opportunity not too far really from your old neck of the woods.

Edited by dant

Its been mentioned that the stocking of these fish has had EA aproval? care to expand on this.

This is the sort of thing that caused the BRFC to close the Catfish record listing.It does nothing but make a mockery of true (British born) catfish.

Our sport is becoming more and more artificial all the time.To some I dont suppose this matters but to others it does.All I will say is that the further down this road we go the harder it will be for any of us ever tyo experience "wild/natural" fishing.

I suppose some see it as progress..................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie I agree with your sentiments entirely.

I can't personally expand on whether they're 100% within the law or not as I've never fished the place and don't know anyone involved personally.

I guess the only person who truly knows the answer to that would be the fishery's owner.