Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Managed to make a start tonight on the prototype bobbin heads for the swingers and first play indicates that it should work. Have got put 1mm holes in at the thick end for the line clip and also form the line clip. Will probably need to make a little drill jig and bending jig to do this but should not be too difficult. On the bottom the pin will need to be threaded and an adaptor made to fit to the swinger arms but so far it is looking quite good. The spring has enough to keep the line clip closed but not too much to make line release a problem. Sorry for the poor pictures but it will give you an idea of what they will look like. Will post more pics as it develops.

post-8110-1297464297_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1297464323_thumb.jpg

I wonder where you got that idea from ?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I wonder where you got that idea from ?

Den

Monkey climbers Den and adapting a simple and common engineering principle used in spring loaded actuators/switches which is why any old spring would not do hence the calculations on spring rates. Whether they will work over a period of time remains to be seen as the weak area on anything like this is keeping out the muck. That could also be resolved by incorporating a light wiper but that would mean a dedicated moulding which would defeat the object as the requirement is something that is simple to produce from commonly available materials. A bit of Ali tube from B&Q, a bit of 2.5mm stainless rod from e-bay. endcaps which could be made from plastic, metal or even wood. a couple of drills, a bit of araldite and a good ruler. Whilst I have machined most of the parts, I could have done the job using a drill chuck and a file. The only difficult bit is getting the right spring.

Monkey climbers Den and adapting a simple and common engineering principle used in spring loaded actuators/switches which is why any old spring would not do hence the calculations on spring rates. Whether they will work over a period of time remains to be seen as the weak area on anything like this is keeping out the muck. That could also be resolved by incorporating a light wiper but that would mean a dedicated moulding which would defeat the object as the requirement is something that is simple to produce from commonly available materials. A bit of Ali tube from B&Q, a bit of 2.5mm stainless rod from e-bay. endcaps which could be made from plastic, metal or even wood. a couple of drills, a bit of araldite and a good ruler. Whilst I have machined most of the parts, I could have done the job using a drill chuck and a file. The only difficult bit is getting the right spring.

Look suspicously like Fox Springloks to me :) :)

675 replies, and it looks like you are getting close :) :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Look suspicously like Fox Springloks to me :) :)

Den

How come?? From what I can see from the pictures of Fox springloks, whatever mechanism is used enables the pin to be offset relative to the centre line and may even contain a trip mechanism wheras I have used the bog standard principle of an in line captive pin. Most bobbins use the principle of spring loading in one form or another but in most cases drag and tension adjustment can be an issue. The monkey climber principle is an excellent one which could have been developed to work efficiently as opposed to trying to turn it into a designer must have product. Unlike your design where you have stated that the it works irrespective of weight, mine will not and is totally dependant on the spring and spring rating. I did play about initially with modifying a monkey climber head and although it worked it was too bulky for what I wanted and also due to the material it was a bugger to machine. Just got to find a way now to attach a beta light and make a fitting to attach them to the swinger arms.If you look back through this thread you will see that I have been playing around with monkey climbers for a long time and when in the development of the long swingers I incorporated an attachment to use them on the rod pod. I am looking forward to retirement later this year as I have a number of projects in mind.

No doubt that the monkey climber influenced your decisions, same as it did mine when I developed the springlok. The pin is offset so the bobbin hangs true...no doubt you will also discover that as well! You have (along with others) cast doubts as to the worth of the Springlok principles, but it seems to me that slowly and surely most of you seem to be recognising the efficiency of them.....never fall off the line until you lift the rod....don't grip the line, so smooth indication.............weight can be adjusted to suit any conditions.............colour to suit whatever you fancy or to match the alarms....can be used as swingers or "on a chain/cord/wire" it is actually the perfect tool for the job...not the ONLY tool, but definitely the best :)

Five years of almost daily use and they have stood the strongest test I have given any tackle, and I still use them..............not often a bit of tackle stands up to that test, and a simple dunking in water washes any mud or grit out, as I often do with mine.

One day, you will all be using them :) oh yes, nearly missed this....there is a slot for a betalight :) :)

Den

Edited by poledark

No doubt that the monkey climber influenced your decisions, same as it did mine when I developed the springlok. The pin is offset so the bobbin hangs true...no doubt you will also discover that as well You have (along with others) cast doubts as to the worth of the Springlok principles,

Den

Den, I have never cast doubts on your design apart from the fact that I stated that I was not prepared to pay £100 for four bobbins.

With regard to the offset pin and hanging centrally, I am fully aware and agree that this could be a weakness in the ones that I am making if they were free hanging, but as they will be permanently fixed to the swinger arms in a controlled arc then I do not think it will present a major problem. With regard to attaching an isotope I think that will be fairly easy. For any Carp fishing that I may do, I will continue to used the Fox Mk 11 swingers with the gate latch mechanism as they work perfectly well, are reliable and are simplicity itself in their means of adjustment. For the times when i want a light bobbin well there is plenty to choose from in the shed however I do wish you well as I know you put a lot of thought and effort into what you do.

No problems Tinca :)

Den

After being completely wiped out yesterday due to the boss demanding that I take the old shed down, just nip down to the shops for me and while you are at it fix the no 2 sons car not to mention when you have dismantled the shed, give some thought to a building a pagola. Anyway did manage a few hours today and was able to make the bits for four bobbin headfs. I have put a couple of standard bobbins by them to give some perspective .I can't close them up yet as the next thing to do is make some fittings to attach them to the ends of the swinger arms and may need a few adjustments which cannot be done if every is locked and bonded. When fitted they need to be able to tilt backwards and forwards to compensate for line lift but at the same time restrict with sideways movement. They have been kept as light as possible as any additional weighting is done bt the sliding weights on the swinger arm. To fit isotopes I am working on a holder with detachable clips similar in principle to a fuse holder but made from plastic.

post-8110-1297638519_thumb.jpg

Yes, I was right first time...they are almost direct copies of my first Springlok prototypes...................good idea, wasn't it :)

Den