Two Different Stories

It also shoots a hole in the article where it implys that the rsa are complicit in the demise of the cod recovery plan as well.

Defra seem to agree with these conclusions or they/EU would ensure that all MLSs apply to anglers as well as 'commercial landed fish'. (Something I would not oppose)

I can't see what's wrong with tightening regulations which cover some 'extractive' rod and line sea fishing such as wreck fishing for cod, pollack, ling and congers (hopefully a thing of the past). But then, any bag limit must be accompanied by responsible skippers moving or changing methods when those bag limits are reached, since it's pointless to put the first three species back in water much over 50'.

I stopped wreck fishing about 15 years ago when a well-known Lymington ex-skipper insisted on repeated runs on mid-Channel wrecks for pollack and cod until the 'fish bath' was full and we were standing ankle deep in fish! I took home 114lbs of fillets which I gave to an Eastleigh old folks home.

I would not go 'wrecking' again until skippers have a code of conduct (voluntary or regulation) for wreck fishing to excess. At the same time, I am aware that a day like we had is the exception rather than the rule. It'd be relatively simple for a skipper to anchor up (when tides allow) or move inshore and target other species in the way an Eastbourne skipper did a few years back and I ended up taking home two pollack, two plaice, a 3 lb bream and some mackies. A perfectly satisfactory result.

Those used to fishing the NE or SW wrecks for loadsa cod and pollack would just have to re-assess their needs.

<_<

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defra seem to agree with these conclusions or they/EU would ensure that all MLSs apply to anglers as well as 'commercial landed fish'. (Something I would not oppose)

I can't see what's wrong with tightening regulations which cover some 'extractive' rod and line sea fishing such as wreck fishing for cod, pollack, ling and congers (hopefully a thing of the past). But then, any bag limit must be accompanied by responsible skippers moving or changing methods when those bag limits are reached, since it's pointless to put the first three species back in water much over 50'.

I stopped wreck fishing about 15 years ago when a well-known Lymington ex-skipper insisted on repeated runs on mid-Channel wrecks for pollack and cod until the 'fish bath' was full and we were standing ankle deep in fish! I took home 114lbs of fillets which I gave to an Eastleigh old folks home.

I would not go 'wrecking' again until skippers have a code of conduct (voluntary or regulation) for wreck fishing to excess. At the same time, I am aware that a day like we had is the exception rather than the rule. It'd be relatively simple for a skipper to anchor up (when tides allow) or move inshore and target other species in the way an Eastbourne skipper did a few years back and I ended up taking home two pollack, two plaice, a 3 lb bream and some mackies. A perfectly satisfactory result.

Those used to fishing the NE or SW wrecks for loadsa cod and pollack would just have to re-assess their needs.

<_<

Hi H A, i can't really see making new regs on all the boats with the policing of the same would work, or be cost effective, against a precieved idea that wrecking is a free for all. I would agree there proberbly was some boats with the mindset of getting out, catch as much as possible and hang the consequence. I can't agree that this is continuing today. Equally, nor is it my idea of fun to say travel two and a half hours by road, steam out for two hours catch two pollack, then steam back in again to catch some plaice, dog fish or whatever, no thanks. Don't think many charter boats would agree to that as well. Last time i went out and caught loads of pollack, proberbly around ten was a year ago, the best thing for me was when i gave most of it to my mates, who don't know what fresh fish tastes like.

This minister made a big commotion regarding the protection of the tope (look what i have done for you chaps). One of the new regs, no rsa landings, what was that all about. As far as i was aware, that really wasn't a major problem in any event, now and again someone might land one to claim a record, or one might have been dead on catching what was the problem with that. So why put a rule inplace when that part of it wasn't an issue in the first place.

I know what you are saying regarding anchor up as tide permits, that is what does happen, not all the time though. Sometimes right out we might have to visit quite a few wrecks in any event to find one that ain't netted. After the spring run of pollack and i haven't had the oportunity to go on one yet, it's the bass season, you want to put restriction on that as well. Went out for the first time in three months, and took home nothing, Swings and roundaboats, H A.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi H A, i can't really see making new regs on all the boats with the policing of the same would work, or be cost effective, against a precieved idea that wrecking is a free for all. I would agree there proberbly was some boats with the mindset of getting out, catch as much as possible and hang the consequence. I can't agree that this is continuing today. Equally, nor is it my idea of fun to say travel two and a half hours by road, steam out for two hours catch two pollack, then steam back in again to catch some plaice, dog fish or whatever, no thanks. Don't think many charter boats would agree to that as well. Last time i went out and caught loads of pollack, proberbly around ten was a year ago, the best thing for me was when i gave most of it to my mates, who don't know what fresh fish tastes like.

This minister made a big commotion regarding the protection of the tope (look what i have done for you chaps). One of the new regs, no rsa landings, what was that all about. As far as i was aware, that really wasn't a major problem in any event, now and again someone might land one to claim a record, or one might have been dead on catching what was the problem with that. So why put a rule inplace when that part of it wasn't an issue in the first place.

I know what you are saying regarding anchor up as tide permits, that is what does happen, not all the time though. Sometimes right out we might have to visit quite a few wrecks in any event to find one that ain't netted. After the spring run of pollack and i haven't had the oportunity to go on one yet, it's the bass season, you want to put restriction on that as well. Went out for the first time in three months, and took home nothing, Swings and roundaboats, H A.

QUOTE/ "Make sure the fish hold is empty"

QUOTE/ "Make sure the fish hold is empty"

What Barry actually meant was 'Make sure that there isn't a crab or maybe two crabs, hiding in the fish hold' that might eat the one or two small fish that he's hoping to catch and bring back.

:)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

What Barry actually meant was 'Make sure that there isn't a crab or maybe two crabs, hiding in the fish hold' that might eat the one or two small fish that he's hoping to catch and bring back.

:)

You are correct Leon, last time me bait was ate before i even had a chance to use it, Steve :bleh::D

or could it be because on Clem's boat i keep mixing up the hold with the bucket that is used to 'p' in as they both look the same. :lol:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

You are correct Leon, last time me bait was ate before i even had a chance to use it, Steve :bleh::D

or could it be because on Clem's boat i keep mixing up the hold with the bucket that is used to 'p' in as they both look the same. :lol:

Hi Barry

HA HA HA and I thought you wanted the fish hold clean so you could have a kip in between bites HA HA

steve

A group of so called anglers/unlicensed commercial fishermen brought 30 tope and a porbeagle ashore after a trip from a Welsh Port last summer and sold them at the fishmarket. It does happen

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

A group of so called anglers/unlicensed commercial fishermen brought 30 tope and a porbeagle ashore after a trip from a Welsh Port last summer and sold them at the fishmarket. It does happen

Definatly not rsa then, they were unlicenced commercial, selling into the commercial market. You sure that they did not break the law that was already in place at the time then. Would you have called this a normal activity. What about the market guys at that time them. Was it normal practice for them to buy off these un-licenced tw@ts, or didn't they care as well. Sounds like a right dodgy set up in any event. Anyone report it.

Can you tell me that even with this new law inplace it has stopped and prevented this practice or does it make this type of transaction, twice as illegel in any event, sounds like the market could do with a visit from the authorities, to make sure they are trading correctly or has no one got the bottle?

Edited by barry luxton

Definatly not rsa then, they were unlicenced commercial, selling into the commercial market. You sure that they did not break the law that was already in place at the time then. Would you have called this a normal activity. What about the market guys at that time them. Was it normal practice for them to buy off these un-licenced tw@ts, or didn't they care as well. Sounds like a right dodgy set up in any event. Anyone report it.

Can you tell me that even with this new law inplace it has stopped and prevented this practice or does it make this type of transaction, twice as illegel in any event, sounds like the market could do with a visit from the authorities, to make sure they are trading correctly or has no one got the bottle?

Hi Barry

I am not sure what happened to these lads. The local SFC was looking into it.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest challenge

Quote Barry

This minister made a big commotion regarding the protection of the tope (look what I have done for you chaps). One of the new regs, no rsa landings, what was that all about. As far as I was aware, that really wasn't a major problem in any event, now and again someone might land one to claim a record, or one might have been dead on catching what was the problem with that. So why put a rule in place when that part of it wasn't an issue in the first place.

NESFC brought in there by-law with the intention to protect tope from commercial over-exploitation within the committee’s jurisdiction.

There was at the time strong indication that a commercial fishery was about to start up and the by-law which stated that if a tope was caught it must be returned immediately to the sea. Was introduced to close any loopholes within the said district.