Two Different Stories

What like fish quota's. Apart from the obvious example, Chieftan, is there any other charter boat that targets cod like that one? Even so how many days per year does it manage to get out and before restriction there would need to be calculation as to how much is the take, how it affects the stock and how many fish are put back alive, etc etc. What about the cheiften anglers themselves, how many times a year do they manage to get out, in relation to them stocking their freezers for personal use.

<snip>

Is there evidance that the anglers go out on that one to sell into the commercial market?

<snip>

would you say that a charter boat needs to have the same sort of profile before restrictions aught to be considered. Don't think you would see one somehow unless it was sinking.

Barry - English channel cod quotas are currently zero in the eastern channel, and 50kg/month in the western channel for an under 10. I reckon any south coast charterboat wrecking between may and august will exceed 50kg of cod per DAY. There's a lot more cod caught wrecking than off the needles in winter, that's for sure! Every boat fishing the CI from Devon fishes 'the Patch' for cod on the way there and way back. Kind of conflicts with the stock protection argument really?

As to Chieftan - I'm willing to bet my house that 'anglers' on Chieftan sell or trade their fillets - but I've been through the figures for 'personal consumption' before on here.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry - English channel cod quotas are currently zero in the eastern channel, and 50kg/month in the western channel for an under 10. I reckon any south coast charterboat wrecking between may and august will exceed 50kg of cod per DAY. There's a lot more cod caught wrecking than off the needles in winter, that's for sure! Every boat fishing the CI from Devon fishes 'the Patch' for cod on the way there and way back. Kind of conflicts with the stock protection argument really?

As to Chieftan - I'm willing to bet my house that 'anglers' on Chieftan sell or trade their fillets - but I've been through the figures for 'personal consumption' before on here.

Hi Toerag hope you are well, i don't believe for one minute that the under tens and the charter boats have been the problem with the cod stocks, What about the remaining 97% of the quota where does that fit in with regards to the argument on stock protection and lack of quota. Didn't the eu give an increase in the quota, who ended up with that.

I'm glad you highlighted 'anglers' if they do sell they are certainly not classed as anglers but unlicenced wotevers selling into the commercial market. So both commercial and anglers themselves should have a downer on them, i certainly would and class them as thieves. Also it is the receivers who need hanging up by the buster browns. I would not like to say what my reaction would be if i was on a boat with someone who does, unless they have a licence of course.

Two years ago i did have a blinding trip to the ci's on the way out and certainly on the way back the fishing mid channel was supurb. However, not everyone on the boat was top notch at drifting and you don't expect them to be, it would be different if they was doing it every day. I ended up catching quite a few cod and pollack. However when it's was time to divvy up every one had an equall share to take home and quite right too. I didn't share me turbot or brill though. However, on a five day ci trip take travelling into consideration, you really have one full day on the wrecks, how could anyone put a restriction on that and to what effect it would have on the stock. If there was a restriction put on the summer wrecking boats, i think you could kiss goodbye to the multi million pound charter boat industry, shops, boat building, seaside car parking prices would have to rise, who would want to see that. Again to what effect on the stock. I bet there are also lot's of business's on the islands that welcome the charter boats.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge

Hi torag.

I worked on chieftain for 4 years and I did some calculations my self.

I more or less calculated that on average an angler took home 3 stones of fillets per trip and fished twice a year with us. That’s 6 stones of fillets per year and he will have paid well in access of £400 for the privilege.

If you think that he was doing it to make a commercial gain out of it I think you should have a rethink. Of course there where exceptional trips when the anglers where fortunate to be on the trips that put the average up, but over the 4 year period it certainly averaged it self out to my first calculations with all the anglers.

Regards.

Hi Toerag hope you are well, i don't believe for one minute that the under tens and the charter boats have been the problem with the cod stocks, What about the remaining 97% of the quota where does that fit in with regards to the argument on stock protection and lack of quota. Didn't the eu give an increase in the quota, who ended up with that.

I'm glad you highlighted 'anglers' if they do sell they are certainly not classed as anglers but unlicenced wotevers selling into the commercial market. So both commercial and anglers themselves should have a downer on them, i certainly would and class them as thieves. Also it is the receivers who need hanging up by the buster browns. I would not like to say what my reaction would be if i was on a boat with someone who does, unless they have a licence of course.

Two years ago i did have a blinding trip to the ci's on the way out and certainly on the way back the fishing mid channel was supurb. However, not everyone on the boat was top notch at drifting and you don't expect them to be, it would be different if they was doing it every day. I ended up catching quite a few cod and pollack. However when it's was time to divvy up every one had an equall share to take home and quite right too. I didn't share me turbot or brill though. However, on a five day ci trip take travelling into consideration, you really have one full day on the wrecks, how could anyone put a restriction on that and to what effect it would have on the stock. If there was a restriction put on the summer wrecking boats, i think you could kiss goodbye to the multi million pound charter boat industry, shops, boat building, seaside car parking prices would have to rise, who would want to see that. Again to what effect on the stock. I bet there are also lot's of business's on the islands that welcome the charter boats.

Hi Barry

Nice post

I have been a angler since I was 4 years old, caught hundreds of tons of bass in my life on rod and line, I am now 57.

QUOTE/ how could anyone put a restriction on that and to what effect it would have on the stock.

To be perfectly honest I have asked the minister to put restrictions on that, anglers catch alot of fish collectively and if anglers have a bag limit the saving of stock will enhence the fisheries and anglers will be doing something towards conservation, at the moment they do NOTHING other than try to have more restrictions placed on commercials whilst anglers fish on regardless.

I do not really care what anglers catch and land I like wurzel are live and let live sought of guys,

Anglers and their REPS to get heard by the people in power have been slaging off commercials no end, and I do not like that, it must be said that was the wrong way to go about things

Now I intend to repay anglers with their own medicine, thats fair.

Point is anglers slag off trawlers for damage to the seabed and eco-steyems and do nothing about aggregate dredging which does more harm to your sport than commercials, your case just does not hold water

I intend to take the goverment to task on aggregate dredging and the revenue they receive from that and their ability to implement the marine bill without bias for their financial interests

The goverment must be laughing at the split between and anglers and commercials because between the the two they will achieve what they wont.

LOADS OF MONEY

Regardds Stephen

Steve

To state the obvious, anglers don't give a damn what you choose to do or say.

Why on earth waste your valuable fishing and lobbying time (aggregate companies?)on an anglers website when you could be doing something useful for your own cause?

I assume you make time in your busy schedule for other things as well?

<_<

Edited by H.A.

Hi Barry

Nice post

I have been a angler since I was 4 years old, caught hundreds of tons of bass in my life on rod and line, I am now 57.

QUOTE/ how could anyone put a restriction on that and to what effect it would have on the stock.

To be perfectly honest I have asked the minister to put restrictions on that, anglers catch alot of fish collectively and if anglers have a bag limit the saving of stock will enhence the fisheries and anglers will be doing something towards conservation, at the moment they do NOTHING other than try to have more restrictions placed on commercials whilst anglers fish on regardless.

I do not really care what anglers catch and land I like wurzel are live and let live sought of guys,

Anglers and their REPS to get heard by the people in power have been slaging off commercials no end, and I do not like that, it must be said that was the wrong way to go about things

Point is anglers slag off trawlers for damage to the seabed and eco-steyems and do nothing about aggregate dredging which does more harm to your sport than commercials, your case just does not hold water

I intend to take the goverment to task on aggregate dredging and the revenue they receive from that and their ability to implement the marine bill without bias for their financial interests

The goverment must be laughing at the split between and anglers and commercials because between the the two they will achieve what they wont.

LOADS OF MONEY

Regardds Stephen

Good morning Steve, ohhh contraire, 'i have asked the minister to put restriction on that......'

followed by 'i don't really care what anglers catch' :huh:

What sort of restriction would you say is right and have you put your proposel to the minister?

fwiw, i would agree with restriction if there was evidence along with facts regarding anglers take and that it was affecting the stock to a detrimental effect, have you any? Otherwise it would appear to be a waste of time and effort. Last year i read that the total take by anglers is 1.4% of the commercial take.

fwiw again, longlining, responsible gill netting, rod and line fishing etc are sustainable and trawling to an extent of using the current technical improvements to prevent waste, i do not have a problem with those. I do have a problem with the likes of the guys who are set up infront of the cameras to make a point that 99% of their catch is discarded as the prawn they are fishing for are not there, one third of a bucket. The discard is then sorted into boxes, individually, then thown over the side dead. Was that to dupe the public or the minister. Thats what i have a problem with and i will critisize it, along with the thieves and recievers.

I can't comment on your favorite gripe, dredging, as i do not know anything about it, cept that it is carried out in approved areas, licenced, so some one is responsible for that. Good luck with your quest.

You also quote my bit on 97% of the quota regarding stock and lack of quota.......... yet you do not comment on it?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Based on your blasé assumptions, and taking into account your penchent for bullshine, I guestimate that since you were 4 you have removed an average of 7 bass a day, every day.

To be perfectly honest I have asked the minister to put restrictions on anglers, they catch a few fish collectively and if anglers have a bag limit the saving of stock will enhance the fisheries for me and other commercial fishermen and anglers will be lucky to catch anything, at the moment we do NOTHING other than try to land as much as we can and have more restrictions placed on anglers so that we can fish on regardless of any consequence to the stocks.

By the way, I do not really care what anglers catch and land and I like wurzel.

Edited for accuracy

Bit stupid to start it in the first place then wasn't it

I can't wait, Steve Gathergood determines UK and European Fisheries policy by himself, if you want to get off, give us a shout and we'll try and stop it spinning for a little while :lol::lol::lol:

Point is anglers slag off trawlers for damage to the seabed and eco-steyems and do nothing about aggregate dredging which does more harm to your sport than commercials, your case just does not hold water.

:rolleyes: Wow, and your case does I suppose, I hope your boat is more seaworthy than your case, maybe we'll just let you spin off into the distance :rolleyes:

I intend to take the goverment to task on aggregate dredging and the revenue they receive from that and their ability to implement the marine bill without bias for their financial interests.

While your in there can you pop into the bank of England and adjust the rate of inflation, then jog along to the home office and put a stop to the wholesale immigration and while your at it, can you go to the treasury and do something about the delining house market in the SE.

Regardds

LOADS OF MONEY

Having read your recent posts or should we call them ramblings, I agree the goverment will be laughing.................. at you

Good morning Steve, ohhh contraire, 'i have asked the minister to put restriction on that......'

followed by 'i don't really care what anglers catch' :huh:

What sort of restriction would you say is right and have you put your proposel to the minister?

fwiw, i would agree with restriction if there was evidence along with facts regarding anglers take and that it was affecting the stock to a detrimental effect, have you any? Otherwise it would appear to be a waste of time and effort. Last year i read that the total take by anglers is 1.4% of the commercial take.

fwiw again, longlining, responsible gill netting, rod and line fishing etc are sustainable and trawling to an extent of using the current technical improvements to prevent waste, i do not have a problem with those. I do have a problem with the likes of the guys who are set up infront of the cameras to make a point that 99% of their catch is discarded as the prawn they are fishing for are not there, one third of a bucket. The discard is then sorted into boxes, individually, then thown over the side dead. Was that to dupe the public or the minister. Thats what i have a problem with and i will critisize it, along with the thieves and recievers.

I can't comment on your favorite gripe, dredging, as i do not know anything about it, cept that it is carried out in approved areas, licenced, so some one is responsible for that. Good luck with your quest.

You also quote my bit on 97% of the quota regarding stock and lack of quota.......... yet you do not comment on it?

Hi Barry

It is interesting that your perception is that trawlers affect your pleasure more than anything else.

Treat yourself have a read http://www.marinet.org.uk/mad/madbrief.html this was written by anglers new found green friends (LOL LOL) sorry that I did not make it a direct link dont know how to.

Aggregate dredging does not affect you or fellow anglers then, or is it just a case of, I am allright jack quick pull up the bloody ladder

Can not go longlining to many tope they just ruin the bass on the longlines they have teeth you know.

Thinking about asking Mr Shaw to cull them in my area

steve

Edited by steve good

Steve

To state the obvious, anglers don't give a damn what you choose to do or say.

Why on earth waste your valuable fishing and lobbying time (aggregate companies?)on an anglers website when you could be doing something useful for your own cause?

I assume you make time in your busy schedule for other things as well?

<_<

Hi H

I only sleep 4 hours a night my working day is 20 hours long I have time to fit everything in

steve

Based on your blasé assumptions, and taking into account your penchent for bullshine, I guestimate that since you were 4 you have removed an average of 7 bass a day, every day.

Edited for accuracy

Bit stupid to start it in the first place then wasn't it

I can't wait, Steve Gathergood determines UK and European Fisheries policy by himself, if you want to get off, give us a shout and we'll try and stop it spinning for a little while :lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes: Wow, and your case does I suppose, I hope your boat is more seaworthy than your case, maybe we'll just let you spin off into the distance :rolleyes:

While your in there can you pop into the bank of England and adjust the rate of inflation, then jog along to the home office and put a stop to the wholesale immigration and while your at it, can you go to the treasury and do something about the delining house market in the SE.

Having read your recent posts or should we call them ramblings, I agree the goverment will be laughing.................. at you

Hi bobbbbb

HA HA HA HA HA You really crack me up, nothing construckive to say then HA HA HA

Good job you can not change my real letters HA HA I would be in trouble

Regards baldrickkk