in IYFC this month.... Carp on 2.5" cubes of bread!

Darren T

I picked up my mag from the mat the other morning and had a read through and saw an article on an apparently good method for pulling carp. The guy was getting huge cubes of bread out into the water using a free running bomb as an anchor. then he would allow the bread to float to the surface, if he had nothing for 15 seconds he would wind in half a turn, wait and repeat.

it seems incredible that 8-10lb carp (the bulk of his catch) would event try to take a bait that large, let alone manage to get hooked!

Darren, you haven't lived mate:) Back in the dark ages it was fairly normal for us to use large pieces of bread, the carp would suck it down like gravy :) Huge slurping sounds (Clooping we called it)

One way which me and a mate perfected at Horton Kirby, was to wrap the crust in brown breadcrumb, just wetted enough to stay on for the cast. This exploded on impact leaving the crust (matchbox size) floating out in the middle of the lake.

Next option was to stiffen the mix so it all sank,taking a few minutes to break up allowing the crust to rise slowly from the bottom........................violent takes :)

We used no lead weights in those days.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Cutting edge stuff from IYCF then eh :rolleyes:

In case you didnt know Darren Den's about 100 and something so when he was using this method it would have been god knows how many years ago! :D

Only joking, Dens only about 90 (its all those years bent over watching silver paper bobbins that have aged him!) and can still walk further than me!Come to think of it Leons older than all of us! and he sprints to swims at Timsbury!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

ahh, i must bow before the Wrinkly Master :P

i have to say, if i had paid for this sub i would probably be a little peeved, there are no freebies anymore (i remember getting little tackle boxes or a bag of pellets or some line years ago) and of all the articles the vast majority are about bloody carp. now while some are more interesting than otheres (John Wilsons article about fishing in Arkansas for example) it would be nice if there was a bit more in there about all the other species.

i know carp has this massive following of people who just want to catch the biggest fish they can, but i cant help noticing that there is growing boredom and even a touch of hostility to the way the entire market has geared itself to just one apsect of angling in this country.

In addition i am sick to the back teeth of seeing Matt "actually" Hayes all the damn time!

ahh, i must bow before the Wrinkly Master :P

i have to say, if i had paid for this sub i would probably be a little peeved, there are no freebies anymore (i remember getting little tackle boxes or a bag of pellets or some line years ago) and of all the articles the vast majority are about bloody carp. now while some are more interesting than otheres (John Wilsons article about fishing in Arkansas for example) it would be nice if there was a bit more in there about all the other species.

i know carp has this massive following of people who just want to catch the biggest fish they can, but i cant help noticing that there is growing boredom and even a touch of hostility to the way the entire market has geared itself to just one apsect of angling in this country.

In addition i am sick to the back teeth of seeing Matt "actually" Hayes all the damn time!

Darren , there are definitely better mags out there . IYCF is a good one for beginners/learners but as an anglers fishing skills progress and the basics become second nature , i would be looking to move towards some of the other publications out there.

oh , and the method described sounds like 'anchored crust' . As to the size of baits , its one of the advantages of bread being soft. We used to fish the Royal Military Canal for the tench using almost all of the inner part of a slice of Mothers Pride ( the best fishing bread EVER !!! :D ) . When on the hook , it was about the size of a packet of ciggies....and tench mouths are quite small but it never stopped them from taking the bait

Ditto for chub - I use fairly big lumps of flake for chub fishing but that rogue Goosequill uses virtually a whole slice of bread on the hook. He catches a lot more (and bigger) chub than me too :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

THere was a time in the late sixties when this was my favourite method for Carp and there are occassionally times when I still use it today. It used to be okay fishing depths up to about 15 feet using a sliding link of abot 7/8 feet attached to a bomb which was contained by a ledger stop approx 6/7 feet from the hook. Have even caught Tench and Bream off the top using this method. Another Favourite was to dunk the crust in Bovril. Pain in the arse though when seagulls were about or any ducks etc. Tremendous takes though :D. It often makes me smile when I look at all the more modern wonder baits as I still believe that I could probably get by with a reasonable degree of success using the older offerings.

2.5" cubes large!! Thats microscopic!

I use massive bits of bread if I surface fish for carp - it looks strange and some people fall around laughing uncontrollably, but it has worked for me time and time again- I remember fishing a large lake in Devon which had a huge head of double figure carp - I put an entire loaf of sliced bread (slinging out whole slices) out at dusk one day, and the reaction was mind-blowing - they would 'attack' the bread and eat half a slice easily........within a short while all the bread had gone from the surface. You would be amazed at what a carp can scoff - I have watched them at close corners in clear water 'hoover up' balls of paste the size of hens eggs and bigger, on countless occasions.

But it does depend on how 'pressured' the water is........

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

But it does depend on how 'pressured' the water is........

you mean to say if ther is a lot of fishing going on they are a little more wary, but if its a quiet venue then they'll just scoff the lot?