Big bream

Anderoo

I couldn't disagree more! It's the key to the whole thing.

If you went out in a boat and looked at what the result of 2 hours' spodding looks like, you'd be amazed at how little bait was there. A drop in the ocean.

What it looks like from above just doesn't matter, it is what it is and if you spend 2hrs throwing out bait there's gonna be a hell of a lot out there irrelivent of what it looks like to me and you.

At the end of the day the more bait out there the lesser the odds of a fish taking your hook bait and that's just a simple fact.

If you where going to spend 2hrs spodding out bait then you really do need a dingy or a small boat to get the bait in exactly the right spot and not make all the commotion made by spodding.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Anderoo and Barry on this one. I always try and match the amount of food I put in to the amount of bream I expect to come across it at any one time.

Well there you have it then budgie, wingham has low numbers of bream so why spend two hours spodding out bait for a handfull of fish ?

Well there you have it then budgie, wingham has low numbers of bream so why spend two hours spodding out bait for a handfull of fish ?

The amount is always a tricky one on waters that have big heads of other fish as you are obviously feeding them as well! But the thing that I believe is causing the confusion here is the mention of the time (ie two hours) that it takes to (or is taking some) bait up with a spod.I think you will find that the actual amount that's being put out isn't a great deal and the time taken is more down to the need for accuracy and care with the spod.The actual "food" content of the spod mix is also very low.

I cant comment from any personal experience of spodding for two hours for bream as Ive simply not done it. I know that my large builders bucket takes two hours to mix and ball in by hand though! and that's with the help of "guest baiters"! Now I wouldn't use this amount in most situations on SB/LSD waters but on some big shoal fish waters this was the norm for a single evening session,I will try to find out what the size in pints/litres/gallons or what ever this bucket is. As we found out at a recent SG meeting peoples ideas of what is actually "lots" of bait varies a lot so giving actual measurements is handy.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

.I think you will find that the actual amount that's being put out isn't a great deal and the time taken is more down to the need for accuracy and care with the spod.The actual "food" content of the spod mix is also very low.

Budgie, accuracy isn't difficult once your clipped up at range. I find that catapulting balls in up to 60/70 or so yards just as accurate and much quicker than a spod anyhow.

Edited by Tigger

If you want to see what a bucketfull of spodmix looks like fill the bucket up with sand then throw it around by hand on some grass. Does'nt go very far.

completely agree even my tipper truck full of sand doesnt make much impression tipped out in a 5 acre field . It all depends on whats a proven feeding stratagy that works for your water

I used to fish a lake called whitevane which is primerily a big carp water and the feed i used to see go in there was staggering , my mate whos a carp angler buys 4 huge buckets of wheat and hemp and maize and sends it all out in his bait boat and he will put a further 2 buckets out per daythat he is there . He and other carp anglers are always complaining about the bream which are in massive numbers so i used to be allowed sometimes to go fishing there and remove some of the stock safely to another nearby lake . My first day there was the best days bream fishing i have ever had and to say it was to easy is an understatement , i just got the feeling that i could sit there all day spodding and never overfeed or spook them , the average size thou was 4lb with the odd 6lb er , but carp anglers over the years have accidently caught 15lb fish and there are rumers of much bigger , but ive never been able to catch one so it shows me that bigger bream are a completely different animal and that a lot of skill and finnese is required and also a long stay at a water , im not gonna be able to catch a big bream with match tactics over 5 hours

The intersting thing is when i was 18 i once fished in big qualifier on a river for the daiwa masters in which the first 2 places would go to denmark and i turned up late to my peg which was right on a bend and was big and deep and just rushed a simple float rig together and flicked it out and there was an instant roll of a bream that just snatched the maggot , i landed it and instantly caught another , my heart was racing and adrenaline flowing but my inexperience told me to do something that ive had to remember eversince and that was to chuck 4 large balls of grounbait right on there heads . I didnt get another bite and the angler nearest to me thanked me as he bagged up and won the match .

We know the size of a fish doesnt tell us how old and wise the fish is especially on bream as they can stay almost skimmer size all there life , therefore at whitevane the fish were probebly young 5lb ers and the fish on the river were old and hard to catch but at only 2 or 3 pounds .

This is my thinking anyway and it does seem to make sense but could just as easily have the fish laughing at me :rolleyes:

No boats allowed, otherwise I would do exactly that. As Budgie says, 2 hours sounds like a lot, but the food content of what's going out is low, most of it being attraction of various types, that takes different times to break down. There are other fish to feed off too.

Accuracy is absolutely vital. Add in a cross wind and bearing in mind some of these baited spots are quite small (a few feet either way and you've missed it), and it's certainly no easy job, for me at least. There's no way I could do it with a catapult as I couldn't be certain of getting the right distance each time.

At the end of the day the more bait out there the lesser the odds of a fish taking your hook bait and that's just a simple fact.

With respect, that isn't a fact at all. The reason to do it is to create competitive feeding, which drastically ups your chance of getting a bite. They are then looking for food items among the attraction, your hookbaits being some of them.

When you go trotting, you don't just run the same maggot hookbait through the swim do you? You carefully feed until the fish are looking for more bait, then instead of maybe catching one fish you catch lots. There's nothing radical about it really.

That's my opinion anyway, after 3 years of trying lots of different things and listening to better anglers than me. I'm not trying to make the facts fit my theories, I've tried many, many different ways of feeding and the way I do it now is the result of all that. Whether it would work on other waters I couldn't say.

PS don't forget the bait is going out 12 hours or so before I expect any bream to turn up.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No boats allowed, otherwise I would do exactly that. As Budgie says, 2 hours sounds like a lot, but the food content of what's going out is low, most of it being attraction of various types, that takes different times to break down. There are other fish to feed off too.

Accuracy is absolutely vital. Add in a cross wind and bearing in mind some of these baited spots are quite small (a few feet either way and you've missed it), and it's certainly no easy job, for me at least. There's no way I could do it with a catapult as I couldn't be certain of getting the right distance each time.

With respect, that isn't a fact at all. The reason to do it is to create competitive feeding, which drastically ups your chance of getting a bite. They are then looking for food items among the attraction, your hookbaits being some of them.

When you go trotting, you don't just run the same maggot hookbait through the swim do you? You carefully feed until the fish are looking for more bait, then instead of maybe catching one fish you catch lots. There's nothing radical about it really.

That's my opinion anyway, after 3 years of trying lots of different things and listening to better anglers than me. I'm not trying to make the facts fit my theories, I've tried many, many different ways of feeding and the way I do it now is the result of all that. Whether it would work on other waters I couldn't say.

PS don't forget the bait is going out 12 hours or so before I expect any bream to turn up.

Andrew, I'm just trying to do a bit of debating with you all, not say i'm right and your wrong (just so you don't get the wrong end of the stick). I think all the methods mentioned are right in/on the right venue and the right ammount and size of target species.

Obviously catching those SB's isn't easy or we'd all just go out and catch a few but in reality it does seem a bit hit and miss to me and it's a case of trying different methods till you do actually strike lucky and get a result.

but in reality it does seem a bit hit and miss to me and it's a case of trying different methods till you do actually strike lucky and get a result.

Most definitely! Then trying to work out why it was successful,fine tune and repeat! And at the moment as he has no other similar experience to draw on Andrew is doing just that and given the fact that he has now caught a couple of big bream by design what he is doing seems a good enough starting point to me!

Like I tried to bring up in an earlier post this isn't all about Wingham! however from what Ive seen there aint much difference between most of these SB/LSD waters.The more different things we read about from others fishing other waters with big bream in the better. I want my theories questioned I want to hear new ones It is hard to have things you know are fact/have worked/are working being constantly questioned though.I myself always try to make the point of saying what I know and what I think as they are two very different things.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Andrew, I'm just trying to do a bit of debating with you all, not say i'm right and your wrong (just so you don't get the wrong end of the stick). I think all the methods mentioned are right in/on the right venue and the right ammount and size of target species.

Obviously catching those SB's isn't easy or we'd all just go out and catch a few but in reality it does seem a bit hit and miss to me and it's a case of trying different methods till you do actually strike lucky and get a result.

Yes I know mate, I didn't mean to sound tetchy! What you say is absolutely right, it's a case of trying different things until the pieces start to fall together and it starts making sense. After a lot of experiments and head scratching I've finally come up with a style that makes sense to me, but others go about it quite differently.

For me, all this working it out is the interesting part! I do feel like I've come quite a long way since starting this topic (thanks in part to all the experiences and ideas people have posted) but I know I have a way to go yet. (Which is a good thing :) )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music