Big bream

Anderoo

Purely out of interest :) what are the numbers/frequency of bream catches over the last few years at Wingham? It would help me to form some idea of the usefulness of the info given. I seem to remember that there was 1 caught this season, 3 the previous (Richards and Budgies) , but beyond that "I know nothing" as Manuel would say.

Regarding those huge bream I mentioned, they were caught this season (2008) and I read about them in the Anglers Mail.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly but why bother to even put a boillie on if you are going for the unintentional pick up? just a criticly balanced hook would do? I think I will prefer to stick to a light weight bait that the bream MAY want to pick up intentionally. It would though stop the problems with eels.

Only time I have ever set my stall out for "unintentional pick ups" has been when fishing for carp over big amounts of hemp. Just a few beads and poly balls painted to resemble hemp fished on hairs and criticaly blanced worked fine.But there I was sure the carp were actually feeding on my loose hemp just hoovering it up in gret mouthfulls.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Purely out of interest :) what are the numbers/frequency of bream catches over the last few years at Wingham? It would help me to form some idea of the usefulness of the info given. I seem to remember that there was 1 caught this season, 3 the previous (Richards and Budgies) , but beyond that "I know nothing" as Manuel would say.

Regarding those huge bream I mentioned, they were caught this season (2008) and I read about them in the Anglers Mail.

Den

Same here Den and there was a bit on an internet site about them.Pretty sure I got the link to it from here.

I dont know for sure as we are still trying to get all the facts/figures but I think I can say there has never been many more than 6 caught in a season and useualy a lot less.Hopefully Steve will see this and let us know.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not sure if this is the same place/bloke..

Just noticed the date of video 2006! so not the one I meant, but MAYBE (just maybe) it is the same place?

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

I think its there size and weight that stops them being taken unintentionaly.

You could well be right! However a small 10mm boilie is very similar to a couple of grains of sweetcorn!

I actually wonder if they have any idea what they are actually picking up! They don't have barbels, and they can't see what they are picking up! In that way I reckon anything could be picked up if it was amongst other bait if it was the right buoyancy! I'd be very interested in more info/footage of bream feeding. Surely they have to 'hoover' groundbait and small items? That said if the can't taste with their barbels maybe the test larger items in their lips?

Rich

Budgie, I would be aiming for an intentional pick-up with a trimmed down boilie. I'm not saying that is what I'm going to use, just for the sake of argument! It would probably be more eel-proof than maggots/worms.

Den, there were 7 caught this season, I think 5 last season, and then I don't know! It was a good year this year. Having said that, 3 were all on the same weekend in July (3 different anglers, after spawning when they were presumably hungry and a bit more catchable, and at their lowest weights) and 3 were taken in one session by the same angler in, I think, October, with the remaining one in, I think, late July.

The 3 taken on the same weekend were all from completely different areas of the lake, suggesting the 'several small groups of fish' theory is correct.

In case I wasn't clear before, when I say 'one fish per season', that's per angler fishing for them.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Purely out of interest :) what are the numbers/frequency of bream catches over the last few years at Wingham?

I think there were 7 caught this season. Not sure the number of repeat captures!

Rich

Cheers Andrew. those giant bream were caught in may 2008 and were on www.gofishing.co.uk, but the page has dissapeared!

Den

You could well be right! However a small 10mm boilie is very similar to a couple of grains of sweetcorn!

I actually wonder if they have any idea what they are actually picking up! They don't have barbels, and they can't see what they are picking up! In that way I reckon anything could be picked up if it was amongst other bait if it was the right buoyancy! I'd be very interested in more info/footage of bream feeding. Surely they have to 'hoover' groundbait and small items? That said if the can't taste with their barbels maybe the test larger items in their lips?

Rich

I agree! What you're trying to create is a situation where a few fish thinks the bottom is thick with delicious food, and when they get there, there's actually hardly anything. Everything tells them that there's food everywhere, but they have to look very hard to actually find anything, because it's all coming from attraction/flavours, etc. In that situation, they'll take pretty much whatever you allow them to have, I reckon! All you need is something tasty that's big enough to be worth hooking, and that (hopefully) other species will leave alone.

I could be completely wrong of course!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

In case you missed the report in last week's Angler's Mail, the biggest brace of bream ever has recently been caught by design - 18lb 10oz and 19lb exactly. There are some details and photos on the Maggotdrowners forum here: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=80108

This has to rate as one of the most significant angling feats in history - a serious well done to the captor!

The lack of coverage/chat about this just goes to show how poorly regarded bream are compared to other species.

It wasn't this was it Den?