Big bream

Anderoo

Here's a question for everyone about hookbaits. If you were fishing for big bream and there was no chance of nuisance fish, what would be your ideal hookbait?

Maybe you would like to see what a 150lb per hour bream boilie looks like and these are good as well.

This is the only bait Ive ever tried for bream and they don't touch for me, might tell you some thing.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would probably try recasting rods ever 2-3 hours to a different spot in the swim. For example fishing 3 rods, get to the point where each rod stays in for 3 hours with a small mesh PVA bag of smelly food/pellets and then if there is no line bites recast it after the 3 hours recast to a new spot. The situation I would aim to be in is each hour the next rod is brought in and the position changed until I find the fish. If I catch I would cast to the same location again.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? How did it work?

Errrm

Hi Errrm,

For the tench that would be a good plan, I think Den did something very similar with method feeders last year it worked very well! I don't actually don't find all the bars a problem if you study them I think it actually helps you narrow down where the fish might be!

For the bream it might not work so well for the following reasons:

You might only have the bream in front of you once a season, so 3 hours probably isn't long enough ;)

The bream are very shy, recasting regularly might well scare the bream away.

The bream mostly feed at night so you'd have to stay up all night recasting.

All that said I'm no bream expert and you might cleanup! I know of at least one bream that was caught on a method feeder with no prebaiting etc so you never know!

Rich

Hi Errrm,

For the tench that would be a good plan, I think Den did something very similar with method feeders last year it worked very well! I don't actually don't find all the bars a problem if you study them I think it actually helps you narrow down where the fish might be!

For the bream it might not work so well for the following reasons:

You might only have the bream in front of you once a season, so 3 hours probably isn't long enough ;)

The bream are very shy, recasting regularly might well scare the bream away.

The bream mostly feed at night so you'd have to stay up all night recasting.

All that said I'm no bream expert and you might cleanup! I know of at least one bream that was caught on a method feeder with no prebaiting etc so you never know!

Rich

I think you're right about it not working as well for bream as tench, hopefully I might get a chance to try something similar this year.

Errrm

I think you're right about it not working as well for bream as tench, hopefully I might get a chance to try something similar this year.

Errrm

Thats the beauty of Wingham you just never know what the next bite might bring!

Rich

p.s. Just to clarify the bream I mentioned above was not Wyeknot's, his was a very well executed tried for and got!

I agree with everything RIchard said, I think the way to do it is to lay down a nice even bed of very attractive groundbait containing very little food and hope they wander past. However, who knows, maybe casting around the swim would work! The main problem with that is making sure you're not fishing over the top of a bar, as it'll probably cut your line if you hooked anything. In some spots you can cast 60 yards are be over about 5 of them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Lutra once again Ive found there to be a big difference on bream waters to their acceptance of boillies.Size doesnt seem to matter or whether they shoal or not purely the richness of the water.

As for the bait question then I would agree with caster,maggot and worm.

Worm would most likely be my first choice as Ive got so much confidence in it.Incidentally I never use Lobs for Bream but prefer a couple of small Dendros on the hook instead.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. It is giving me a lot to think about.

Multiple catches may not be as a result of not spooking the remainder of a shoal but as a result of a second, un-spooked shoal coming along. I think that at least one of the multiple catches was spread from dusk to dawn.

Steve C.

Thats a really interesting sugestion Steve and I think more plausable than the one Alex offered.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Lutra once again Ive found there to be a big difference on bream waters to their acceptance of boillies.Size doesnt seem to matter or whether they shoal or not purely the richness of the water.

Cant say Ive found that on the waters that Ive fished. Ive never fished Wingham or the gravel pits of the south east, but Ive fished a lot good bream waters and some where they will not have seen a boily before.

From my own experience with good sized shoal bream i would think if you can catch with trout pellet you will do better with some good fishmeal boillies.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep