Designer bait or cheap n cheerful?

Darren T

i just wondered what some of you use, do you abstain completly from the purpose made baits out there in favour of more "old fashioned" ones like maggots, caster, breat, corn, hemp, worm etc?

i was thinking what it might be like instead of trying to learn a new tactic or rig each season (as i know many do) how rewarding or frustrating it might be to use nothing but the older style baits instead of some of the expensive over hyped baits on offer today. how many people out there believe that the only reason they are catching is because they are using this flavouring or that pellet when in reality they would still catch and have fun on less commercial baits.

i just wondered what some of you use, do you abstain completly from the purpose made baits out there in favour of more "old fashioned" ones like maggots, caster, breat, corn, hemp, worm etc?

i was thinking what it might be like instead of trying to learn a new tactic or rig each season (as i know many do) how rewarding or frustrating it might be to use nothing but the older style baits instead of some of the expensive over hyped baits on offer today. how many people out there believe that the only reason they are catching is because they are using this flavouring or that pellet when in reality they would still catch and have fun on less commercial baits.

If you are trying to learn a new method, I think it's best to stick to tried and tested baits Darren. That way you have confidence in the bait, and can concentrate on 'perfecting' the new method, without thinking "is it the bait?" Once you are proficient with the method, then start to try new baits.

Just my opinion, but then I am old fashioned. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If you are trying to learn a new method, I think it's best to stick to tried and tested baits Darren. That way you have confidence in the bait, and can concentrate on 'perfecting' the new method, without thinking "is it the bait?"

John.

I think thats good advice. I'm terrible for buying new baits. So to save on the wallet I raid the supermarket instead - tuna, prawns, oyster sauce, cat food, chickpeas.

What I have found is that different baits on different waters at different times of the year are worth trying. I'd had nothing on casters until I fished a small pond outside York in November where they were the must have bait. Sweetcorn was the ultimate bait for a Norfolk fishery in September but doesn't bag anything on my local water.

Tony

There is that saying that xxxxx catches more fishermen than fish. I think its true about baits too. The bait manufacturers just want your money!

Often which swim you fish and how you fish it will make more of a difference.

Don't forget some of the old fashioned baits are still used up and down the country because they work well. Of course some fish who "seen it all" on busy fisheries may shy away from the obvious baits like corn. In this case try something a bit different, a different colour or flavour (both can be brought at a supermarket). Or try an off the wall bait that others won't have tried that has instant appeal to fish, like prawns, mussels, black pudding etc etc.

Rich

It's always a good question this one.

I tend to stick to cheaper, more traditional baits such as bread, worms,corn or meat. Sometimes I will flavour meat with curry powders of various strengths. I think some of the modern baits do sometimes catch more anglers than fish, the main problem I have with some of them is the price.

Others will swear by 'designer style baits', it's what you feel comfortable (and confident) with ultimately.

But, there was some wise words written over 50 years ago which I never forget:

"First, and most important - find the fish;

Second, avoid frightening the fish;

Third - use the right tackle;

Fourth - choose the right time to fish;

Fifth (and last) - use the right bait. "

If you follow steps 1 to 4 then the choice of bait is just the last part of the puzzle - if you aren't fishing where the fish are feeding in confidence then it won't matter what you have on your hook.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Some good advice there from the sagely Goosequill!

A bit of both for me, I mostly use the old favourites but for tench I'll sometimes use mini boilies and/or fake corn. This is mainly to make a certain rig effective though, rather than because it's the 'best' bait. Sweetcorn and meat (in their natural state) can be hit and miss but fish never, ever seem to get bored of bread (hugely under-used), worms or maggots.

I do sometimes use micro pellets as loosefeed or in groundbait when tench/carp/bream fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Expensive baits aren't always the answer. According to Keith Arthur, and I tend to agree, the best sweetcorn for hook bait is Tesco my choice which is about 10p a tin! :clap2:

still for price and attraction pellet and groundbait are tops plus they have the benefit of not being to filling. dont forget these new baits would not sell if they did not work!! however i always have on my table maggots (albeit they very expensive now), corn and bread!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....