how many of you are from NE Scotland (do you fancy a boat hire)

arthurcodsbody

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have always fancied a try fishing the location you mention. Am I right in presuming a couple of hours each side of high tide would be best ??

Cant make any shore trips for a couple of weeks but bear me in mind in the future. Definitely fancy the boat trips can I suggest we get a few available dates from the chosen skipper and see what suits us all.

I am under the impression having seen a skippers record book at Dunbar that the fishing fairly quickly improves from the end of May till about mid July and the starts to tail off again. But I would stand to be corrected re this.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Hi Matt, Wednesday sounds good; if i can scrounge a lift from you even better :) Guess I'd better change line too, the 40lb stuff and 1/0 hooks was possibly OTT :D

Thanks for the tips Kenny, I presume any codling caught up there are pretty small?

Sulzer, a Sea Trout guru and expert fisherman I am not but Im as certain as I can be the fish I caught was a Salmon Kelt.

Given that it looked close in size to my best ever sea trout, believe me I looked hard. Always possible I got it wrong but Im pretty sure. Clues were the dark upper body colour , no sea lice and the" look" that it had been in freshwater for a good while. I could'nt lift it by the tail, the tail fin itself was very concave, its vent was swollen up and gaping, and its eyes were level with the mouth and below the midpoint.

What method do you use to identify them?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Sounds like a kelt to me and not a very well mended one at that.Tail is the best way to ID.

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Peter

your right about the fishing in May -July I'm sure we'll all get out a couple of times during the summer.

Jaffa

I'll give you a ring Re: Wednesday over the weekend, easy pick you up on the way, should hopefully be able to check the tide tomorrow, would fishing into darkness be a problem the tide might be late on.

I'll see if I can con the missis into picking up a couple of permits seens as she works in dundee.

I'll see if the fishmongers got any fresh mackrel in. If not it'll have to be frozen stuff. I've always got worm and squid in the freezer as a back up.

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

jaffa

i check the tail as the sea trout at this size are very close hard to tell. i return most of mine after taking pics unless they are to deeply hooked.by the way described it sounds like a salmon so my appoligies if i said anything wrong.

i never seen so i cannot give a positive id.

i have been catching sea trout in the tay for the last 10 yrs only seen 2 salmon caught and 1 of them was mine.

Matt, sounds good.

Got plenty of frozen squid, mussel and mackeral. some peelers, razors and clams too(been in the freezer a long while now though). The tescos down by the river usually has herring and mackeral as well.

Sound if your wife can pick up permits :) If not I will be able to get up to Dundee before wednesday.

Sultzer, believe me I wanted it to be a Sea Trout :)

Are there many seatrout about at the moment ?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

yes they are still there caught a 1lber on sunday returned it.

the tesco on the kingsway part of dundee will gut and behead your mackerel / herring for you.

as i said before updates on my website.

so far this year 8 sea trout caught. i am going down tomorow.

i did put up reports but hardly no one looked at them so i stopped.

I can get some "fresh" mackeral and see if Tesco have any herring. I'll also see what else I can get my hands on.

Sounds like it could be a laugh.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!