Have the commercials finally emptied the north sea?

Guest jay_con

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chamois:

couple of websites i looked at reckon that commercial fishing is becoming unviable,in the med last year they farmed 50,000 tons of bass and even more grey mullet, get rid of the trawlers and farm more fish!

Trouble is that farmed fish need around 5kg of trawled wild fish to be turned into pellets to produce 1 kg of farmed fish.

And then there are a lot of environmental problems associated with fish farming!

(see http://www.salmonfarmmonitor.org/osullivan.shtml )

Tight Lines - leon

[ 30. October 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

chamois,

it takes something like 2 tonnes of food to raise 1 tonne of salmon

3 tonnes of food to raise 1 tonne of cod,

and i just read 5 tonnes of food to raise 1 tonne of bluefin tuna

thats a lot of sprats and sandeel to make up the meal they feed them on.

a bit of a vicious circle methinks

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

wotsinaname:

wonder if hell have tails of catching huge cod when he comes back?

Wonder if we'll ever hear a story of him blanking - seems he always catches, however adverse the conditions are, when those around him don't

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

wotsinaname:

1 question.

in the wild how much would that 1 ton of cod eat?

Next time you speak to winter ask him to inspect the gut contents of all the Cod he catches, besides the small fish you will find crabs and worms etc. Fish farming is not the answer, try reading some of the links that Leon puts up.

Newt, if you are following this could you check on some entry ports for duplicate posters :D

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan :D:P

Its interesting all the stuff about fish farming, Realy a sad prospect as well, Just when you think theres a sensible answer to maybe reduce commercial activity for a few years, A loophole comes round and bites you in the ass...

Hows things anyway? Norrie tells me you might be interested in a trip to Amble?? IDe certainly be up for that!

Tight Lines

Shaun

Alan, Methinks there are one or two Duplicate Posters on here at the moment, and on Ebay too..... :D:D Wish i could get some Big Cod when I go fishing..... :rolleyes:

[ 31. October 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/